Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

B&Q Pink Foam (XPS). Really Cheap!

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

B&Q Pink Foam (XPS). Really Cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 AM
windslore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&Q Pink Foam (XPS). Really Cheap!

B&Q are now stockling pink XPS foam.

If you are interested in hotwire cutting your own wings or shaping a canopy this foam is brilliant. I have tried the B&Q foam, it is definitely XPS foam and is far better than the standard white EPS foam.

The best thing is it only costs £4.98 for a 1200mm x 500mm x 50mm piece. That’s cheaper than white EPS!

If you think you are ever going to need a piece of foam, please go and buy it. Lets not let the B&Q pink foam go the same way as their depron. The depron is no longer stocked due to lack of demand.

[link=http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10647762&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=space+board&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&isSearch=true]Here is a Link[/link]

If its not in stock they say they can order some into your local branch.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:06 PM
sir crashallot

Default RE: B&Q Pink Foam (XPS). Really Cheap!

thanks for that, i have some chrome nichrome wire that iv been meaning to make a frame for, now i know b&q have it il get some.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:41 AM
windslore

sir crashallot,

Yes, I'm using nichrome wire on this foam too. It gives a nice shiny smooth cut.
Make sure your template is completely smooth though, any imperfection will show up in the smooth XPS surface.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:52 PM
FlyCrashRebuild

How did you make your foam cutters? Any pictures?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:16 PM
windslore

FlyCrashRebuild,

My foam cutter is very simple.

-Nichrome wire or thin steel wire from a garden centre.

-12V powersupply from an old PC. They are brilliant for foam cutting as if you short the wire out, the power supply turns off. I have shorted the cutting wire out before using a car battery charger and the nichrome wire glowed red and then snapped. Google "modifying PC power supply" I also use mine to power my peak chargers.

I havent got access to the bow at the moment but I will try and describe the system anyway!

-Simple wooden bow:
Use 3 bits of wood in an H-shape. Bolt the wood together at the joints of the H to create 2 simple hinges.
Put the nichrome on the bottom part
Put string on the top part
Tighten the string at the top by twisting it with another piece of wood, this tenions the nichrome at the the bottom.

I will put some photos on when I get home and can photograph the bow. The bow is very simple to build though, it shouldnt take more than 30mins to put together.