Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Aerodynamic Balance for Rudder

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Aerodynamic Balance for Rudder

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:38 PM
PizzaMan
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerodynamic Balance for Rudder

I remember running across a site a few years ago that had some calculations for the aerodyamic balance for a rudder. I searched again since I now need some help, but couldn't find it.

Does anyone have any hints as to how large to make it, how much to weight it, or do I go for the "trial and error" or "copy something that works" methods.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Lnewqban

Default RE: Aerodynamic Balance for Rudder

Here is a link to one "copy something that works" method:

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/design.htm
Old 04-16-2011, 04:54 PM
fred985

balaced tails usualy dont use weights,,thru,,"aerodynamic",,,a good example wood be the tails on a j-3 cub compared to the super cub,,,,i owned a clip wing cub powered with an o-200,,,,it had balnced tails,,,it was very light on ther controls. it also had super cub flaps built into the wings. it had to be registered in the experimental catigory.

'
Old 04-17-2011, 05:26 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually, do not exceed 10% of the area in front of the hinge line. And, yes, you can also obtain static or mass balance by weighting this forward portion so there is a much mass (weight) forward of the hinge line is there is behind it. This mass balance is much more effective on elevators and ailerons though instead of rudders; especially useful as it takes the strain off the servos caused by high G landings or violent maneuvers.