Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Inexpensive CAD software

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:33 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Inexpensive CAD software

I thought I'd give my fellow modelers a heads up..

Last year I bought Turbo CAD v-15 from these guys http://store.purplus.net/tu15de2d.html I paid $15 + shipping, it is an older version and came in the OEM Jewel case,, not bootleg software, all legit. I've bought other older software titles there too. I wanted to try it out cheaply and this was a great source, so if you want to try CAD, but think it too expensive,, under $15 shipped is hard to pass up

good luck
Old 05-18-2011, 06:35 AM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Inexpensive CAD software

Draftsight is free and works like autocad.
Bob
Old 05-18-2011, 10:51 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Inexpensive CAD software

The best advice to a newbie CAD user is to try out a few before you lock into a single product line.

Back in my early CAD days there were no AutoCAD look-alikes. In fact there were no free CAD's at all. I tried a few of the low cost ones and stopped when I found TurboCAD and I've stuck with it since because I know it well and it always does what I want and I can set up the toolbars to group the "tools" in a fully custom way that works with how I do my drawings.

Mind you now that we've got some AutoCAD look alikes who knows which way I would go.

One factor from some years back is that even some AutoCAD users of the earlier versions found some of the things harder and less intuitive to use than the similar functions in the then current TurboCAD. So again it's wise to try out a few of the free and cheap options and see which clicks with each new user.

One thing I found is that it paid to get into doing an actual drawing once you find the basic tools. Just doodling doesn't tell much at all other than how to access the tools. Do a simple actual task and see how it goes for some of the functions when actually "under fire".

Other relatively cheap CAD's are DesignCAD and DeltaCAD. I'm pretty sure they were both available for free at one time but now I see they are charging for them. They both have free time limited demos availalbel though. So try out a few before you leap. Because once you lock into one you really won't want to shift over to another.