Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

My Predator MQ-9B 12' build

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:30 PM
DomPotvin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Predator MQ-9B 12' build

Hi everyone !

I'm curently building a predator, its going to have a 12' wingspan, not sure yet about the engine, around 40-50cc, maybe electric too, i even found some hydrogen fuel cell (but need $$$). It will be in fiber glass, with a balsa plywood frame.

On the long term its going to be flight via arduino autopilot.

But first of all ! lets build it, im now doing my plug.

I might need some advice for the wing airfoil style.

Give me comments and hint.

I know that the predator normal doesnt fly very well but I DONT CARE ! love the plane.

Also ill need an experimented pilot to fly it when it will be finish (probably next summer) im in montreal.

Ill post more picture this week, the foam have just been glued, should carve it tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57967.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1625398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73601.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1625399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51291.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1625400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61264.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1625401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41123.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1625402  
Old 06-19-2011, 10:40 PM
funkworks

Default RE: My Predator MQ-9B 12' build

Hmmm...interesting build. Sounds pretty cool...
I built a prop version of the U2 a while back and it had a wingspan of almost 9 feet. I used a thunder tiger pro .36 for power. Because of the light wing loading I didn't need much power. You may have the same situation with your project. You'll need enough power to get off the ground but be careful about over powering your model with a high aspect ratio wing. My model weighed a little over 7lbs and I had to make sure the engine would idle low enough so I could land the model. At times the motor wouldn't idle low enough and it made it difficult to land properly.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:27 PM
DomPotvin

Hi guys !

Funworks : thanks for the advice on power, i plan to have a very high aspect ratio wings, almost like a glider, so ill take care about the power, but not sure about the final weight yet.

Here's 2 picture of my first carving day, coming together faster than i though ! Yay !

Name:	Vt57639.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1625732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33080.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1625733  
Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 AM
DomPotvin

More picture, the first step of the fuselage carving is now done. next will be the finishing with bondo and then the fiberglass.
Its not perfectly straigt, ill have to figure something out when ill fiberglass it, the material used for the bulkhead wasnt strong enough ... :S
Next step is working on the tail and router (no plan for that part ill have to do it myself by hand) and the wing support.

One of my friend is supposed to send my plan to a bombardier's engineer to confirm my wing airfoil so i can begin to work on them.

That's about it !

Name:	Li20969.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1626738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51632.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1626739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93390.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1626740  
Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 PM
chymas
My Feedback: (1)

Interesting build. Iam currently working with an arduino project myself. I have had a couple semi-successfull flights. I am working on getting it tuned right now to fly the mission the way I think it should fly. Right now its overshooting and I'm having some altitude issues (keeps climbing). I've made some changes and now just waiting for weather to go fly again. As for arduino controlling the plane I can fly in stabilize mode, put the plane into several unusual attitudes and it will recover to straight and level flight every time.