Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Water cuting

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 10:26 PM
Closterman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water cuting

I know you can cut balsa with Laser. But, did someone have tried with water cut?? You can cut metal and fiberglass , you probably can cut balsa !!! Any input ? ?
Closterman
www.mraerodesign.com

Old 12-18-2002, 01:37 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default Water cuting

Salut mon ami!

I've seen the water-cut method for cutting material as well. the water is actually a carrier for super-small abrasive ganules. Although the water is at a really high pressure!!

I've seen a small puzzle, 99 pices, cut with a water jet. by small, I mean about 2" square. Each puzzle peice was about twice the size of this 'D'. The parts, 5 layer ply, didn't seem to be bothered / damaged by the water.

I would bet the jet would pass right throught balsa, come c'etait du Buerre!

What about plasma cuttin balsa? We have a plasma cuttter here at work for our sheet steel... I bet I could get a really big stack of balsa cut at one time..

What? Grounding? No need, just up the voltage!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2002, 05:43 PM
Al Stein

Default Water cuting

I've thought about water jet cutting, too. They use it where I at work for a variety of stuff from cleaning parts to stripping paint to cutting steel -- the grit is only used for some purposes, but not always. It should work fine on balsa and I was trying to figure a good way to combine it with home made CNC cutting setups.

If anybody's experimented with it, I'd sure like to hear about it.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:54 PM
Closterman

Default Water cuting

I have make some research since I have posted in this topic. I have found this website: http://www.ayerpuzzles.com/index.html wher the guys have made here is water cutting table. But, he don't want to give how he have made it :-( I'm pretty sure the water jet can cut balsa because you ca cut steel of 1" of thickness. Balsa and lite ply are probably very esay to cut. I don't understand why it's not popular. The high price of the machine is probably the reason. I know that a little laser cutting table is aprox 18 000$ US. I have search for water cutting machine but not find any price.
Any idea or sharing experience will be greatly appreciated ! !

Hey DrWoqz, if you talk french, send me a mail with you phone number. Ce serait le fun de pouvoir ce jaser ça un peu. Ça fait plusieur fois qu'on se rencontre sur des forums (R/C, Inventor), on dirait que l'on a pas mal les même intérêt !! ;-0