Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Jan Hermkens B17

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:25 AM
dutch Jan Hermkens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

The CDScaledesigns does not exist anymore, for 2 years now,
His designs were quite on their weight, for example his 1/10th B-17 weights only 4 pounds (2kg= over 4Lbs) lesser than my 1/8th B-17 (my 1/10th plan 125% enlarged). He did not sell much, his construction methodes are to heavy for european point of vieuws.

Here some pictures of my new project; The Douglas A-26B Invader, also from own plan, scale 1/5,9th, span 3,60m (142").
When started the project, the estimated weight was 22kg (48Lbs), the engines were calculated for max. 23,6kg (52 Lbs).
The total weight up to now is 17,7kg (39Lbs), included; 2x engines- 20x servos- 6x batteries- 2x recievers, 2x PMS Plus (Engel Powerboxen)- 3x crewmembers.
Excluded; 2x turrets- 2x engine cowl- 1x nose cowl- details, and not to forget the Finish.
So there is room for 4,4kg (10Lbs) or max 5,9 kg (13 Lbs) for all these items, so that will not be problem at all!
Today I stopped the project and will continue in october, starting with making the mouldings for the turrets, cockpit. engine cowls, etc.

kind regards,
Jan

for more pictures, have a look at my homepage; www.janhermkens.nl
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A-26.118 The proud builder and owner.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	1994176   Click image for larger version

Name:	A-26.117. The constuction is ready.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	1994177  
Old 05-11-2014, 10:03 AM
ivves

Hello Jan.

Very impressiv Invader ! Nice work.

My cdscaledesign B-17 weighs 15 kg, the same as the one i built from your plans ! ( Did a lot of mods to get it as light as possible. )

Regards / Ivan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-2gcPPXYZw&list=FLrtKS5VvBY9dklH6RocxqsA
Old 02-28-2015, 02:48 PM
kennye
My Feedback: (11)

I haven't been on this site and totally missed your question..sorry.. But yes I did build one and it flies great! I am building my second one at the moment. I again am using 4 OS 95s I prefer extra power if I need it. I plan on covering this one in aluminum. Vertical fin, rudder and stab with elevators are built and sheeted. I totally scratch built the first one but I found someone to cut the parts and its going smooth..
Old 03-01-2015, 12:37 AM
dutch Jan Hermkens

Hi Kenny,

a long time since the last time I heard from you!
How is the building of the B-17 going?

My A-26B is progressing fast now. www.janhermkens.nl
I will spray the model at the end of April, so it can fly somewhere in May.

many kind regards,
Jan
Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 AM
kennye

This going smooth the first one fly's great ! Im not a pro builder so if I can build it anyone with basic building skills can. I plan on using flex metal to cover this one..Here is my e mail please contact me I have some great news to tell you on my personal [email protected]
Old 03-24-2021, 04:06 AM
72RC

Good Morning,
I’m planning on building a B-17 from Jan’s plans at the end of this summer and checked out his impressive site just yesterday.
So I’m doing my due diligence now and want to ask if any of the forum members might have some advice for me.
The first question I have is the covering. On Jan’s site he mentions using tissue to cover the wood instead of fiberglass to save weight. What kind of tissue is that? Is it the same type of silkspan and dope covering used for scale models back in the 80s?
Next: where can I buy the metal or carbon fiber tubes for the wing and horizontal stab attachment?
What model of retracts do you use?
the landing gear is amazing. Is the construction of them and the turrets in the plans?
Thanks for any and all advice!
Old 03-25-2021, 09:30 AM
kennye

Default Jan Hermkins B 17

I have built two of these in the past. Mine were covered with coverite . I guess if you want to paint the project you might need to use tissue or a light product. Its a big plane.The gear are Robart The fiberglass parts like top deck were bought from fiber glass specialtys . it fits good and saves a lot of time although the front former needs to be moved a little foward . The molds were made for the Wing MFG. 1/9 scale but fit the Jan Hermkins plans. The plans were up dated to a wing tube instead of the origional set up. This was my idea and it works good. Any questions maybe i can help.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:34 AM
72RC

Thanks. I’m just bought the most up to date plans from Jan.
Did you paint your coverite after putting it on?
what Robart model retract did you use?
Just doing the due diligence now and buying parts but even that is fun.
what type of materials did you use for the wing tubes and where did you buy them?
Thanks!
Old 03-25-2021, 11:41 AM
kennye

The wing tubes can be bought from Nick Ziroli plans they have the sleeves and are good . Robart only makes one set of giant scale B 17 giant scale i believe they were made for Don smith plans but they fit good. The covering can be done with either coverite or monokote or coverite material if you choose to paint. you might want to talk to the guys a Balsa USA and get recommendations on their material. As for the other parts like tail cone, cowls, chin turret and top deck they were bought from fiberglass specialty's. The cowls are 6" and long enough to add a larger engine. The first B 17 I built, every part was built from the plans but the parts from fiberglass specialtys were used on the second one and saved a lot of time. I did veer from t he plans and did not make the rear section of the fuse removable instead i used servos in the elevators , and rudder instead of control cables. That too was a real time saver. also the tail cone is removable to get to the wire connections as well as the stabs because they too have tubes for spars and slide off for transportation these were my ideas and i talked to Jan about these upgrades
Old 03-25-2021, 02:34 PM
72RC

Thanks for the info! I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:38 AM
dutch Jan Hermkens

hi Guys,
Im searching for Laser 70 engine. the old type with the Super tigre carburator.
This as replacement for one of the engines of my 4 meter B-17.

Kind regards,
Jan Hermkens
Netherlands