Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

fiberglassing my foam plane

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:12 PM
irocleis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglassing my foam plane

Hello im a new member to the site so I hope im posting in the correct area... but anyway I was going to fiberglass my one P51 mustang EPO plane for 1a to strengthen the aircraft and second so I can do a nice paint job I have in mind... so my question is this, what happens with the ailerons / elevators / and rudder once the fiberglass is applied.? Does it stay flexible or do I have to cut these pieces out and use a joint tape, or is there another technique . Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:45 PM
harralk
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: fiberglassing my foam plane

Fiberglass is very rigid once it cures.  Make sure you find a resin/hardener combination that's compatible with the foam.  There's a composites forum on this site, they have a lot of information and helpful members. 

Old 08-08-2011, 06:04 PM
irocleis

Ok thanks im gonna look for /and check out that forum.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno! I can see a lot of weight being added. Another finish to consider is LS2 from wow planes. You paint it directly onto foam. You prep the foam with whatever your favorite filler is, I use light weight spackling and sand smooth. http://www.wowplanes.com/index.php?c...81966ee6dc2831
I've used it on biplane struts and liked it. Do a search, there are threads on covering a whole plane with it.
Edwin
Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 AM
irocleis

Ya I've been finding more and more as I search google. Maybe fiberglass isn't the correct approach for the small foam planes ( 52") like I mentioned before I would really just like to get a great glassy finish paint job as an end result.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:49 AM
irocleis

The only thing I really haven't found out about through my search is how to keep the flexibility of the different sound flaps on the plane. All my foam plans are fairly new so I haven't had to deal with any broken flaps yet
Old 08-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound flaps?