Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

printing cad plans on home printer

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

printing cad plans on home printer

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Robr0924

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default printing cad plans on home printer

im using auto desk, to view plans. today i tried printing and i got a wonderful 8.5 x 11 print of a j3 cub. is there of setting or something? extreme novice to all things cad.

thanks rob
Old 08-14-2011, 03:38 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: printing cad plans on home printer

Rob, You should see a lot of print choices when you pull down File to Print. What are you looking for? Dan.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Robr0924

sorry i would like to print the full size plans using the 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper
Old 08-14-2011, 06:12 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob, Some of the softwares have a Tile function that lets you do that. I don't know what you are using. If it has a Help, do a search for Tile or maybe Print Tile and see what you get. Dan.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Lnewqban

Select the scale you want to see on paper.

Find a way to identify the points of overlap for each sheet and draw a cross on them.
For example, you can over-draw a grid of 8x10.5 pitch.

You can use the window option to make one selection window among four of those points.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't you put the file on a disc and take it to Kinkos?

You'll have one pice of paper!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:15 AM
omcusnr

Rob,

It's important to let us know what version of cad program you are using. Things change from version to version. You say you're using "auto desk". AD makes a bunch of different cad / imaging software, so what product (Autocad, Autocad LT, Revit, C3d, etc) are you using, and What release (R10, R14, 2000, 2010, 2012?). Information like that can help us guide you to the right place.

If you have a newer version (2000+) you might find plotting to a PDF file and then taking the PDF to Kinko's or a local drafting / survey supply / contractor's plans service a very convenient way to go. It'll cost a bit (usually about $10 - $15 per sheet), but is a much nicer way than tileing smaler sheets.

Reid
Old 08-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Save the file as a PDF and open with the latest version of Acrobat Reader "X" which has a built in tile function.

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

If you don't have a "save as PDF" option in your CAD software, you can "print" to a PDF file with a 3rd party PDF creator. There are a bunch out there, check download.com for a bunch of free trials. Most of these act as a virtual printer that creates a PDF file instead of a paper document.

Once you have a PDF, click "print", select your printer, then under "page scaling", click the pulldown and select "tile all pages". You can then set the overlap and adjust the scale. It also has an option for cut marks and page position labels. After that you should be good to go with a pile of paper and a couple rolls of tape.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Robr0924

Thank you gonna give it try later

ORIGINAL: Hemikiller

Save the file as a PDF and open with the latest version of Acrobat Reader "X" which has a built in tile function.

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

If you don't have a "save as PDF" option in your CAD software, you can "print" to a PDF file with a 3rd party PDF creator. There are a bunch out there, check download.com for a bunch of free trials. Most of these act as a virtual printer that creates a PDF file instead of a paper document.

Once you have a PDF, click "print", select your printer, then under "page scaling", click the pulldown and select "tile all pages". You can then set the overlap and adjust the scale. It also has an option for cut marks and page position labels. After that you should be good to go with a pile of paper and a couple rolls of tape.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Robr0924

I'm using DWG TrueViewer. I'm trying out today. But a voice in another room keeps telling me I'm a computer all week why now!