Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

AutoCAD Trimming to A Polyline

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

AutoCAD Trimming to A Polyline

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:06 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AutoCAD Trimming to A Polyline

Sometimes when I trim to a polyline line in AutoCAD, a small segment of the line around the pickbox is deleted instead of being trimmed all the way to the selected cutting edge, which in these cases is a polyline. How can I change this to cut all the way to the selected polyline? Thank you, Dan.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: AutoCAD Trimming to A Polyline

Not sure I understand completely your problem but if the line you are trimming is a Polyline made up of multiple segments then trimming will only effect the segment clicked on. I'm not aware that you can change this. I usually just make sure to place the pickbox right up next to the trim line, to be sure I'm trimming the necessary segment, and then delete the remainder of the Polyline that is left and not needed.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:50 PM
All Day Dan

Chad, thank you for the reply. I am trying to trim a straight line to a polyline. The straight line is getting deleted around the pickbox only in small segments as I dig it. For some reason it does not trim all the way to the polyline. This does not happen all the time. Dan.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 PM
zedad71
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is part of the function of a polyline, if I understand your questions
A polyline is a group of line segments that are then mathmatically "smoothed" to create the illusion of a curved line, like a spline. it is trimming to the polyline in the strictest sense, but its to the core segments that make up the polyline, not to what you see is the line,,
not sure that makes sense, but thats what I interpret is going on.
I assume your poly line is a curved line of some sort?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:44 AM
All Day Dan

Here's a sample. The airfoil is a polyline. When I try to trim the red line to the polyline a small segment is removed around the pickbox. The red line does not get trimmed all the way to the polyline. Any ideas? Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81492.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1676763  
Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 AM
zedad71

Dan,
is yoru file a .dwg? format, if so, you could email it to me and I can look at it to see what I can see. include if you would the version where it is "trimmed" and not working so I can see exactly whats happening.

in the mean time, are you using the "trim" command. If the red straight line is in fact a line, not a poly line, then it should trim right to the polyline, if the red line is a polyline, then it will only trim the segment adjacent the polyline airfoil.

You know that you can use standard lines and then "convert" or add them to a polyline right? I draw mostly with standard lines, then when needed ( for laser cutting mostly) I convert the lines to a polyline
Old 10-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Dan,

I've never had this issue but a quick google search turned up the following information which may be of some use.

From the Autocad Help Files:
0 = Uses the selected edge without an extensions
1 = Extends or trims the selected object to an imaginary extension of the cutting or boundary edge

Your polyline has many edges, so when you select it as the cutting edge and try to trim the intersecting lines, the lines are trimming to the imaginary extensions of the cutting edge. Switch EDGEMODE to 0 and you will be able to trim the lines easily. Just set it back to 1 when you are finished trimming.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 AM
All Day Dan

Thanks Chad. EDGEMODE worked. I can now use it to trim a line to a polyline. Zed, I sent you a PM. Dan.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM
zedad71

Chad,
perfect!!!!!!!
thats what I was trying to explain but you went and found the solution,, well done