Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

How to print CAD plans?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 05:08 AM
west black

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to print CAD plans?

Hi! everyone! i am a beginner and i am going to try scratch building. i have a few plans from CAD, i don't know how to print these plans properly in full size using a normal printer.i would like to print it part by part in A4 size then join it up together.One more thing, i am using CAD VIEW, not the whole CAD program. Please Help Me Out!
Old 08-23-2003, 06:00 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The program needs to support "tiled" printing for this to work. If it has that option then it probably also has the option to print allignment marks. You can start by trying that.

Another option that may or may not work for you is to use the banner print option on your printer if it has that. To do this you'll need some banner paper or the old type fanfold sprocket feed paper. If it's the sprocket feed stuff rip off the edges before you feed the long strip into the printer. You'll then need to learn to use the CAD well enough to cut and paste the plans into long strips that can be printed onto bands of 3 4 or even 5 sheets in length. You'll also need to find out how to specify that you're printing onto a custon length of paper in the CAD program.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:01 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

West:

"CAD View" I know from nothing, but there are always generalities.

First, the files you want to print have to be in a format CADView will read. The most popular files are .dwg and .dxf. What is the filename extension on the files you want to print, and will CADView import them for viewing?

If you can get them on screen, somewhere there is going to be a "Print" button.

Your system will know what printer(s) is/are on line, you will usually be asked which to use.

Most print extensions are smart enough to check the printer and the file, if the print is too large for the printer it will offer options for cutting the file into sections.

So mess around with it. You'll probably find it all in there somewhere.

Advice? Keep notes as you explore, sometimes it's hard to find your way back the next time.

Bill.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:25 AM
west black

Thank You. But i tried printing it and all it appeared was the whole plan shrinked into A4 size.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:36 AM
William Robison

West:

See if you have a print "Set-up" page or pull-down.

Bill.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:08 AM
west black

Now it works! But i still don't know how to print it in the correct size of the plan because this plan does not have those measuring scale to tell if the plans are in correct size.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:27 AM
William Robison

West;

What size engine are you planning on?

Pick the size you want according to the engine size. Print it. Then build it.

Bill.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:17 AM
jester1a
My Feedback: (1)

Looking at the web site for cad view, it seems that it is made to put the whole plan on 1 page regardless of scale. I think you are going to have to procure another program to accomplish your goal. I have done what you are trying with autocad14, which I purchased used. It is a very tedious operation to say the least but works.

JESTER
Old 08-24-2003, 11:55 AM
John Hawkins
My Feedback: (2)

Deltacad will print a tiled image or in strips with fan fold paper. It will import dxf files. There is a fully functional 30 day trial available.

To scale the plan to the size that you want use the dimension tool to check a known size on the plan and then calculate a scaling factor to make it the size you want. This won't be necessary if the plan is already the size that you want. You also have to make sure the drawing scale is set properly.

To print a section of the plan you select the region desired and then in the 'set print region' dialog chose last selected and printing scale 1. Check print preview and it will show the tiled image depending on what paper you have set up in the printer parameters. A grid layer can be made for alignment if thought necessary.

This is just a gloss over with details missing. You need to study the manual and experiment to see how it works. This is a very easy to learn program. A good tutorial came with previous versions.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:39 PM
Cdallas2

Contact a graphics shop in your town.

I just got a hold of one and they're going to print me off sheets at 36"x48" for $2 each. And that's CDN $'s

I can't even get photocopies for that cheap and to top it off I don't have to sit around taping sheets together. I've done that and it really sucks.

Or even an Engineering firm. Some of them will plot stuff off for a small fee as well.