Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Avro Arrow plans

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:25 AM
multimike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Avro Arrow plans

Bob, the more I thought about I think you hit it right on the nose, I only had long 8 0z tank , it should have a 6 oz and I bet as I get to about a 1/2 tank and pull up the fuel goes to the back of the tank and the plane goes tail heavy Mike
Old 02-01-2013, 09:04 AM
BarryLeger

I'd glad I found this thread. I too have been building a prop-nose Avro Arrow. Here is the progress so far!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53972.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1846800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57120.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1846801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn85950.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1846802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx96150.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1846803  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barry: That's sweet. What engine and prop, do you think?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM
BarryLeger

It's got a 3650 brushless outrunner, 1700kv.
Prop will be something close to6.5x5.5 or 6x6.
Although for initial flights, I will prop it for more thrust, less speed.
Battery is 5S, 3700mah.

It's 30" span, 508 sq inches
all 1/4" balsa construction, laser cut from my own plans (first time doing this!)
flat plate airfoil with sharp leading edge.
servoless retracts.
I'm hoping to keep all up weight something like 65 to 70 oz.

Basically, my only design goals are:
look cool, as an Arrow should,
be able take off from a grass runway,
fly straight and fast, and
hopefully land at a reasonable speed!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Mustang Fever

Barry:

I don't know if you've flown deltas before or not, but one of their best characteristics is how they land. You can level them off on the downwind leg, and even start raising the nose as you turn final, adding a little power as you get the nose up. As they near the ground, you can haul the nose way up (30-40 degrees) and your forward speed is converted to drag and a very gentle touchdown results. Just be aware that as you enter ground effect, the nose will try to pitch down, so be ready on the elevator.

I have two Laddie Mikulasko "Arrow" delta wing flying boats and a land bird based on that design, and they all land just like that. The only thing to be careful about is to not get the nose up too high without adding power, or the drag will pull it out of the air.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 PM
multimike

I had no real luck finding any plans so A friend had a 1/72 scale model and with that and some 3 view drawing and a lot of a lot of searching on the web I came up with a sort of plan, I had tried to use a 91 FS up front but it was not succesfull, it took 4 lbs in the rear end to get the C/G it currenty under revision to use EDF fans

Name:	Mj24683.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1846944  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:13 PM
multimike

I must say that just working on this plane was well worth the effort even though it did not fly it sure attacted a lot of attention Mike
Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 AM
Mustang Fever

Mike:

I had the same issue when converting Laddie's flying boat design, with the engine in the tail, to a land based engine in the nose. I shortened the fuse to get the engine as close to the LE as possible, put the servos, Rx and pack in the back, and I still had to put about a pound of lead in the tail to balance it. The other big problem with prop in the nose jets is lack of clearance for the right size prop. I made mine as light as I could so that I could use a 46 and a 10" prop. It all worked in the end, but it took a lot of planning and head scratching to get it right.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2013, 05:13 AM
Mustang Fever

I am going to get one of those EDF Arrow ARFs some day, the one that Hobby King carries.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 AM
multimike

Thanks Bob one of my buddies is flying a scratch built Nighthawk, on his first flight in pitched up into a high alpha mode and there was nothing he could do except watch it wallow all the way down, it only suffered minor damage,it will grove all the way in on landing but at the last second it pitches up about 4 feet and drops on its gear, he now applies full down as soon as his wheels touch and that works, I read that was the way they had to land the Arrow to keep some of the weight off the mains Mike
Old 02-02-2013, 12:29 PM
BarryLeger

Yes, I have flown one delta before, it is also scratch built from my own plans, and is a puller configuration. It flies great! Since it has no landing gear, I would always try to high alpha at the last moment and kind of flop it down on it's belly to avoid breaking props. It's a fun plane.

Name:	Gd93611.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1847189  
Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM
BarryLeger

Mike, it looks great, too bad about the heavy weight needed for balance. Maybe you could convert it to electric? That way, the battery is your balast. With my Arrow, the battery alone weighs almost exactly 1 pound, and I will be able to position it for balance.

As for plans, I will post my dwg plans here, they include the laser cut patterns as well. It's virtually all 1/4" balsa sheet construction, a super simple build. Some details are left to the builder to figure out, landing gear, motor mount, etc.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Zx70298.pdf (136.3 KB, 148 views)