Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

I Come, Seeking Guidance! Enlarged BUSA Stik 40

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

I Come, Seeking Guidance! Enlarged BUSA Stik 40

Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 PM
challenger_i

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Come, Seeking Guidance! Enlarged BUSA Stik 40

Gents, I come seeking knowledge, and guidance.

I have a Quadra 42 engine looking for a home. Initially, I was looking at the Model Builder 100" Ugly Stik, however, my way over-active imagination has me thinking of
building an enlarged BUSA Stik 40 (ye olde Swizzle Stick), with simular flight characteristics of a Stik 40 with a bushed engine.

The floor is open for discussion!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:06 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: I Come, Seeking Guidance! Enlarged BUSA Stik 40

Hey, Go for it! Lots of ways to proceed. You can build several different wings for it, ie flat bottom, semi or fully semetrical, 80, or 100"ws. It should be any easy build and something different at the field too. I'd keep the proportions the same as the smaller version to keep it simple, just blow it up to the size you want. Sounds like a great build...Gene
Old 12-21-2011, 07:03 AM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my version of the Model builder 100" with a two piece wing
bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78216.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1703038  
Old 12-21-2011, 07:12 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool! I built a Stick 40 that had plug-in wing 'extensions'. The extensions had some washout and the LE swept back some. It made the wing look polyhedral since the extensions were upturned a little, too. It would thermal! I also had red (top) and green (bottom) clear panels with lights inside for night flying. The rudder had a white light on top tip. I had a lot of fun with that ugly airplane!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 AM
CliffordH
My Feedback: (9)

Good afternoon,

Years ago, like the late 80s I took a swizzle stick and blew it up to a wingspan of right at 8 feet and it was a great flying plane. I didn't know much about enlarging a plane then so I just multiplied every deminsion by a constant and where I could I user a copier to enlarge some parts, like a wing rib. This turned out o be a swizzle stick on pills, like I said wings of about 9 feet but I flew it with a 90 engine. I think it was a super tiger but was doing good to afford that back then.

This giant stick flew great, in fact so good that a friend of mine actually learned to fly with it. He didn't have any of the new flyer problems with telling which way the plane was going either.

Go for it but if you are going to make a standard stick fuselage a Q42 will be hard to mount and you won't need any near that to fly a stick. Something like a 120 four stroke, one of the older ones with not excessive power, would be good.

Cliff
Old 12-21-2011, 01:17 PM
challenger_i

Thanks, for the input!

What I am wanting to do is to scale the BUSA Stik 40 plans to an appropriate size, using the Quadra 42 for power, such that the plane would have the same flying qualities of the original.
I know that BUSA had a 60-size Stik, and it had an 80" span.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:08 PM
challenger_i

Ok, just running some numbers...

From my research, the Quadra 42 will haul a 25# "hot" (warbird, sport aerobatic, etc) airplane around with confidence. So, keeping the weight between 22 and 28 pounds,
The Stik 40 calls for a wing loading of 20-22 oz/sqft. If I stay right on that wing loading, and come in at 22#, that would give a wing area of 16 sq/ft, or just about 2X the original
size of the Stik 40 (116" span, 20" chord).
Old 12-23-2011, 11:47 AM
challenger_i

No thoughts on the matter?
Old 12-24-2011, 05:39 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

A 116" ws swizzle stick would be neat! I dont think it will come in at 20 plus lbs though. There's not much of anything to weigh there! Hope you build it, and do a picture post as you go. I'll be on the look out for a build...Gene
Old 12-24-2011, 12:49 PM
challenger_i

I whole-heartedly agree that I'll have the devil of a time getting the weight UP!
As I will have an excess of power, I may go a bit larger in size. It will be a relatively
inexpensive to build plane, as most of the construction materials can come from the
local lumberyard!

Here's what I have in mind, thus far:

Two piece wing (of course!)
Functional lift struts
bolt-on tail planes
Polyester dress lining covering, 4 coats clear nitrate and finish coat in exterior house paint (cheaper than butyrate!)

If I mount the elevator and rudder servos at the cabin, I figure it best to use "pull-pull" cable controls, as that looks like
a more reliable linkage set-up.

Still looking for input on over-all proportions, to remain in the ballpark of the power output of the Quadra 42.

The floor is open for discussion....