Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Model Airplane News Astro Hog Plans

Old 01-03-2012, 04:08 PM
dhc2pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Model Airplane News Astro Hog Plans

I have an (almost perfect - some yellowing) original set of plans for the Astro Hog from Model Airplane News (Plan #58) which I would like to scale up by 25%. NOTE: The plans I have differ from the one which is available on the web - mine has the cross section of all of the different ribs, bulkheads, formers, etc, and therefore is "complete" with no guess work. Anyhow, I'm curious as to what the best method to scale these up would be. I could do it by hand with a LOT of work, however I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with printing services. The plans I have are one large sheet with 2/3 of the plan on one side, and the remainder on the other side (shared with a partial plan for a B-25). Ultimately I'd like to create a few copies of the original at 1:1 scale and another few copies at 1.25:1 scale. I'm currently flying a Sig version of the Hog, but want to build a scaled up one with the barn door ailerons AND flaps just for fun.
If anyone has any suggestions, please email me at dhc2pilot@hotmail.com Also, when the new plans are completed if anyone is interested in a copy I'm sure we can work something out.

Thanks in advance!!

John

Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Lnewqban

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Model Airplane News Astro Hog Plans

I believe that any Kinko's can scan the original and make copies at any desired scale.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 AM
kdc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's not that much effort to enlarge a plan by hand as all you need to draw is the basic outline. not the full construction details. If its basically straight lines then just fus side and just a few parallel lines for the wings. Measurements taken from a suitable datum line which probably exists as the thrustline etc are multiplied in a an ordinary calculator using the 'Constant' facility. Then measured onto the new paper. If enlarging from a small plan its easier to measure in millimetres and incorporate the mm to inch ( 25.4 ) conversion into the constant if you want to work in inches.
If you photocopy the few curved parts ( ribs, formers & wing tips ) using a normal home printer /copier/ scanner and print at the required size you then have a copy to stick onto your wood. If you have a printer / scanner which has a removeable 'lid' you can reach into the middle of a large plan easily without mutilating it.
As you will need to change the wood sizes for an enlarged version this way is just as good as an enlarged print, probably more accurate.

Note that the original Astro Hog is different to the Sig version, especially in the tailplane position. One is very high while the other much lower.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Free Bird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

have an (almost perfect - some yellowing) original set of plans for the Astro Hog from Model Airplane News (Plan #58) which I would like to scale up by 25%. NOTE: The plans I have differ from the one which is available on the web - mine has the cross section of all of the different ribs, bulkheads, formers, etc, and therefore is "complete" with no guess work. Anyhow, I'm curious as to what the best method to scale these up would be. I could do it by hand with a LOT of work, however I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with printing services. The plans I have are one large sheet with 2/3 of the plan on one side, and the remainder on the other side (shared with a partial plan for a B-25). Ultimately I'd like to create a few copies of the original at 1:1 scale and another few copies at 1.25:1 scale. I'm currently flying a Sig version of the Hog, but want to build a scaled up one with the barn door ailerons AND flaps just for fun.
If anyone has any suggestions, please email me at dhc2pilot@hotmail.com Also, when the new plans are completed if anyone is interested in a copy I'm sure we can work something out.

Thanks in advance!!

John
John,

Check in the classifieds for "hemikiller". He does printing and enlarging at very reasonable rates. His work is top notch as I've had him do a few plans for me. If he doesn't have an ad, just look up his handle and PM him. No association, just a satisfied customer.

FB