Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Wing and Stabilizer

Old 08-27-2003, 06:46 PM
Shapedlocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing and Stabilizer

Hi, Im designing and building my own plane, Infact the fuse is nearly done. Anyway after looking around at other models ive noticed that the stabilizer is higher than the wing center line.

By the way its fun fly type. Wide wing....

Ive allready cut my slots out for the posistion of the stabilzer and ive done it straight in line with the wing.
Eg. Wing ------ --- Stabilzer
So looking down the centre of the wing u cannot see my stabilizer.
Can someone tell me the effects of this, will it cause me problems?
I can move the stabilizer up 1 to 2 inch if i have to.
Tks...
Old 08-27-2003, 08:35 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Shape:

If your design is intended for aerobatics your stab is where you want it.

If it is intended jost to tool around and never exceed a 45 degree bank, raise the stab and give it about 2 degrees negative incidence. Then, with a slightly nose heavy airplane you can have great stability.

Bill.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:24 AM
yobeekster

i am building one too. On the mustang the stab looks higher than wing. if I do it higher than straight with the wing will i be able to do some areobatics.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:47 AM
William Robison

yobeekster:

You can set a plane up to do aerobarics with the stab above, level with, or below the wing's chord line.

It's just that trimming for the same flight characteristics upright and inverted is easiest with the wing and stab in line, and both at zero incidence, with no dihedral.

And the engine's propellor shaft is on the wing's chord line as well, and no offset or up/down thrust.

Very few full scale airraft are built this way, they will not fly hands off, and require constant correction to maintain straight and level flight. The ones that are built this way are purpose built, pure "Competition" aerobatic planes.

This is one of the reasons why semi-scale models require compromises, if they were built "Flat" they would not look right. But they can still be made into excellent fliers.

Bill.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:13 PM
Shapedlocket

Thanks,, The plane is intented for aerobatics so i will as u suggest leave it where it is.
Id allready drawn and cut out the fuse before i started looking at other plans and thats why i asked.
Just 1 more question are foam wings just as strong as wood?

Ive used foam on a cap232, and hustler before and it did ok but i did not give the plane to much. Nice slow 200mph around the field and then chucked it back in the shed.

Im thinking of making a foam wing for this plane im building, balsa would look better with the see through pro-film but looks dont matter too much if foam is just as strong.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:05 PM
William Robison

Shapedlocket:

A well designed wooden wing can be stronger than a metal wing of the same weight. Plain foam comes in a distant third.

But sheeted foam is another matter. With the sheeting the strength goes way up, and it is more than strong enough.

Use foam with a carbon fiber strip on the top and bottom, at the thickest point under the sheeting, you'll never break it.

So if you want foam, use foam. It works fine.

Bill.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:37 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

Just remember that a foam wing will most probably be heavier than an equivalent wood design. You can hack out quite a lot of the foam if you want to (which is not as light as you think) and not compromise strenght unduly.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:41 PM
Shapedlocket

Thanku,
Just waiting for some foam cutting wire, then ill give it a try,
I was thinking of cutting a lot of foam out from the centre of the 2 halves and putting in some dummy ribs this way i can use the see through pro-film and make it look ok.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:00 PM
Mike James

Default Check this article

Peter Thannhauser recently posted an excellent article here on RCU, at http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...&highlight=ptx on the subject of foam "honeycombing"..