Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

What CAD/Scratch build projects are u working on?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

What CAD/Scratch build projects are u working on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 03:00 AM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What CAD/Scratch build projects are u working on?

Is anyone out there working on any CAD projects or Scratch projects at the time? I'm still working out the kinks in my desing . So how are your CAD designs coming along? Thanks!

-Brian
Old 04-19-2002, 11:45 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Hi there,

I'm working on a scaled up, modified 1950's era "Twin Lizzie" design by Keith Laumer. I've ended up completely redesigning it and changing it from a single engine to a twin but keeping the same general outline.

I attached a pic of one of the nacelles. Throttled Cox TD .049 with heatshrunk soda bottle plastic cowling. It was drawn up in TurboCad 3.01 (old!) and the .dxf's of the bulkheads were converted to G-Code with Ace Converter and cut out with my homebuilt CNC router. Most all of the sheet parts for the entire airplane were done the same way.

Milton Dickey
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8890_7026.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	6078  
Old 04-19-2002, 11:47 AM
DICKEYBIRD

And a pic of one of the wing tip panels:

Selig S8037 airfoil, CNC cut parts

Name:	8892_7026.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	6079  
Old 04-19-2002, 01:07 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default An old kit

Am working on plans and parts for the 36 inch Berkeley Bird-Dog in electric, and glow power, three channel and five channel versions. Different parts for each version and different plans for each, which increases the interrelated file sizes. All Autocad generated and then laser cut out.

For those interested in a duplicate, leave message.

Name:	8895_2554.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	6080  
Old 04-20-2002, 06:28 PM
matchlessaero

Default Latest Scratch Project

DickeyBird, that is a great lookin' project! Now, are you going to have that done for the SMALL fly-in?

I just printed the first fullsize prints of my next project. New airplane is a delta wing. Throttled TD049 power, MH62 flying wing airfoil and hopefully extra light construction. If it flies well, I will make the plans available on my website.

I decided on 250 squares as my size and a 26" wingspan. The main chord is 16" and the airfoil is somewhat thicker than the little TD.020 deltas I played with last summer. I have designed this as a slower aerobatic delta rather than the typical screamers that most people are building right now. I hope to have an all up weight of about 10 oz's to end up with a light wing loading......

I want this plane to slow down well, and fly at a walking pace with into a light breeze......

Wish me luck.

www.geocities.com/matchlessaero/
Old 04-21-2002, 03:09 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default What about what I'm not working on??

This Is a project I started a couple years ago and haven't had time to work on
CL 415 w/ scratch retracts and scale water pick up and drop
What was I thinking??

Name:	9012_3133.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	6081  
Old 04-21-2002, 06:34 AM
MiL

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
cut out with my homebuilt CNC router
Homebuilt CNC router??!!
Old 04-22-2002, 11:43 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Ahhhhhh, matchlessaero = J. Chinn. Howdy! Your delta sounds like it'll be great.... let me know if you need some help with your throttled TD.

Yup, that's why you haven't seen me at the field lately....I've had my head down in the workshop struggling with the thing trying to get it ready for S.M.A.L.L. It's taking twice as long as I thought. Sure hope the d*#n thing flies!

Mil: Yup, 3 axis CNC router, MaxNC electronics and steppers, homebuilt plywood table (modified Dan Mauch plans from Nuts & Volts mag.) using drawer slides and Porter Cable 23,000 RPM trim router, vacuum table to hold sheet stock. It's a whole new hobby in itself! Pic attached

Milton Dickey

Name:	9122_7026.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	6082  
Old 04-22-2002, 11:44 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Default 'nother pic:

One more

Name:	9123_7026.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	6083  
Old 04-22-2002, 12:25 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DB;
Do you know anyone that can give me a hand on laying out a CAD drawing of an aircraft stand? I'm having a heck of a time with TurboCad. I have a series of 9 photo's actually more than that. That I need to make into a Cad drawing. I can Email the pictures to someone that can help.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2002, 02:46 PM
MiL

Dickeybird, that is awesome, thanks for the pics. How much did it cost to build?
Old 04-22-2002, 03:23 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default CNC/CAD

Mil: I didn't keep up with all the multitude of bits & pieces it took to get the machine going but I think it was around 500 to $700.00.

There's been a lot of new stuff that has come out since I built mine 4 yrs. ago. They run from the parallel port on your PC. One that comes to mind is http://www.hobbycnc.com/ Dave even has a 4 axis kit that you can build a CNC foam cutter with. Drool, drool!

Scorpionjack: I wish I could help you but I'm in a dead run all the time now trying to get this latest project going. I'm self taught and don't have any formal training in CAD but I'd advise trying to find an earlier version of TurboCad (3.01 is what I use) It's interface is simpler (for me anyway) and loads quicker on my old steam powered 486 workshop 'puter. Then, just spend some time reading the "Tip of the day" and hang in there, you'll get it down eventually and won't regret the time spent.

If you can find a local buddy that could spend an evening showing you the basics, especially snaps, parallel lines, bezier curves, etc., you'll pick it up quickly.

Milton
Old 04-22-2002, 10:11 PM
matchlessaero

Default Cad Drawing of Airplane Stand

Hey ScorpionJack, I may be able to help you with the drawings of the airplane stand. (You can find examples of my work on my website). Let me know what you intend to do with the plans, and I will tell you what kind of time it will take.
www.geocities.com/matchlessaero/

DickeyBird- you did not miss much this weekend. Wind was from our backs as we stood on the flightline making all the airspace around the field horrible to fly in. I planted my 15 size Shoestring, and Pate gave up after 1 flight.....
I ended up spending the afternoon cutting the Delta's wingribs and framing it instead of flying.
I look forward to seeing your Twin!
Old 04-22-2002, 10:54 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am working on a Ziroli 118" B-25. Have just uploaded new pics to my site today.

Joe
http://home.mchsi.com/~jahuntley/
Old 04-22-2002, 11:39 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

My latest design is a Henderson longster Parkflyer for geared speed 300.

--Paul

Name:	9174_3114.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	6084  
Old 04-24-2002, 03:56 PM
mulligan

Default 1/7 C47

I recently started designing/building a 1/7 scale C-47 (about 170"' span). I've built a couple of the Top Flite 1/14 DC-3 kits, and I really like the DC-3/C-47, so I figured what the heck.

I used the Top Flite plans and other references to get exterior shapes. I scan images into AutoCad 14 and redraw appropriate lines. Then I use my experience and, for once, my A.E. degree to design suitable structure for this big bird.

So far, I have designed tail feathers and am in the middle of building. Next is fuse and finally wings. Since this is 1/7, not 1/8 like the Ziroli kit, I will be custom making all accessorites (gear, fiberglass compoud curves, etc.). I plan to power with a couple of 7-cylinder technopowers or equivalent. I can't post all the details here, but I'm guessing all the work will last a year and a half or so.

I'll post pictures when worthwhile.
Old 04-24-2002, 04:34 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Just finishing a VK Dr1 bashed to be scale.

In the planing stages to scratch a Grumman J2F "Duck"

Also in contention for the building board;
'Canuck' Jenny,
Pitts S2S,
Wright Flyer
Old 04-25-2002, 03:06 AM
Someone11-RCU

Wow.... all of the planes you guys are designing are great! I'm working on the detailed parts of my aerobatic airplane on AUTOCAD LT 2000. Right now I'm in the process of drawing each wing rib, and stab rib (I have an airfoil stab)... it takes a long time since I have to go to each one and edit/add/modify things. The freeware airfoil program called Profili - Italian based, but is also formatted for English- really helps in designing wings quickly and efficiently. Once I'm ready to plot it out, I will make sure to put a .jpeg of it up at RCU. Thanks for your input, and RCU!

-Brian
Old 04-25-2002, 11:27 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Hi Brian,

If you value your spare time, look into CompuFoil. It will do just about anything you can dream up for wing designing. You just put in your root and tip airfoils (even multi panels for sailplanes & others) with desired thickness % (different 'foils root/tip if desired), panel sweep and/or taper, L.E. thickness, (square set diagonally or round if desired) T.E. thickness, spar(s) size & location (will do tapered spars if desired), sheeting thickness (even negative sheeting factor if you need cutter compensation for CNC), D-Tube dimensions if desired, building tabs front and/or rear, top or bottom, building jig holes in any location INCLUDING progressive washout/washin root to tip then click.....and BOOM, you have a finished set of accurately lofted ribs that you print out or export as a .dxf to copy into your CAD plan. It does foam core templates with wire kerf compensation, L.E. shaping templates, wing planform generation, custom airfoil modification utilities(thickness change, highpoint location changes, etc.) coordinate loading and editing.

I only scratched the surface of what all it will do plus there is excellent email support from the author, Eric Sanders. It is somewhat expensive but worth every penny IMO. I bought all available modules 4 years ago and have loved every minute of using it.

Gee, I didn't start out to do an info-mercial but I do like to pass the word when a product is truly excellent and saves valuable time.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:19 PM
Someone11-RCU

I went to Compufoil.com and checked the system requirements, and to my misfortune my computer doesn't meet the needs... I have a laptop. For now Profili is sufficient, especially since it's free Anyone else have anything they're working on?
Old 04-25-2002, 09:35 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Someone11

Is there a web site for Profili?
Old 04-26-2002, 11:05 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Hmmmm, that's strange, I updated the program in 2000 (v3.12e)and I run CompuFoil out in my workshop on an ancient 486 machine and on an even older, slower 486 Toshiba laptop as well....both on Win95. Both load the program very quickly and run very smoothly. I guess later versions must need more "steam."

Anyway, just my experiences....good luck with your designing & drafting!
Old 04-27-2002, 02:52 AM
Someone11-RCU

Default Profili website

Here is a link to the freeware airfoil program's site. http://www.baronerosso.net/software/...profili1_2.htm. From there scroll down to the bottom, and download it. When you open it up, and a box that says yes or no appears w/ some Italian in the box click NO to use the English version.

Hope that helps!

-Brian
Old 04-27-2002, 06:37 PM
LGEdge

This is my 30% Edge540T I scratch built
This winter. I draw the plans my self and made the cowl.

Name:	9582_5481.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	6085  
Old 04-27-2002, 11:49 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LGEdge;
Very nice plane! Are you going to come to Minot, ND when ModelSport Video comes here in August?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.