Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

*NEED HELP* Finding Projects For Gifted Senior Builders

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

*NEED HELP* Finding Projects For Gifted Senior Builders

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:11 PM
stevster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *NEED HELP* Finding Projects For Gifted Senior Builders

Hi fellow modelers. I need some help aquiring some models and supplies for a unbelievable senior center project, that I visited today.

Please read the attached NBC story and watch the short video that I have attached, and it will pretty much explain the man & place that I visited, and what a inspiration he is to his fellow hobbiest residents (and me)!

http://www.atriaseniorliving.com/Pre...D=17&PageID=57

Think about where you'll be in your 80's and this should touch your heart. I met Al, first hand today, and he gave me a new meaning to the word....."CAN'T" He can only see with peripheral vision, and uses an electronic, digital enlarger to build projects with.

Watching these guys build stuff, was like watching model builders in the past, acting like kids, adding years to, and enjoyment to their lives. I donated loads of balsa sheet & sticks, building supplies, and hardware. I had a few kits, but didn't really have the best selection (1/4 scale stuff isn't really gonna work out)! You know, all of that stuff you keep, but know that you'll never really need!

From what I observed, it would be great to donate any stick & tissue kits (Gillows type), small airplane kits (gas is fine...they just convert them to electric), small electrics, batteries, motors, controllers, boat kits under 30", sail boat kits would be great....they take them to the park and race them!, any HO Railroad items (their building a model RR in a corner of the "Man Cave", plastic model kits, any building supplies, etc. They also built r/c windsailers, that they "race" in the parking lot!!!

If you would like to donate anything, just email me at: [email protected]
You can ship to me, and I will hand deliver, and tell them who the donater is (or not)
If you would like to donate to the senior center direct, I'll steer you in the right direction.

Thanks for your time. My (your) time will be there someday also.

Steve Schooler
Cypress, Ca.
714-614-2890

Inventor Al Ladine, 83, examines one of his airplane models in the "man cave" at the Atria Woodbridge senior living community in Irvine. Ladine and his friends were building models in a small arts and crafts room at Atria Woodbridge but the women complained about the glue fumes and the sawdust so the management found a large room for him and residents to continue building radio-controlled boats, planes, land-yachts, even a solar-powered robot named Morty.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46886.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1738413  
Old 03-14-2012, 06:24 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: *NEED HELP* Finding Projects For Gifted Senior Builders

"My (your) time will be there someday also. "

If your lucky, like me:-)))))))))))))))))) I did, long ago, have to start resiting both elbows on the working surface to deal with the assembly of small detail parts.

Les
Old 03-14-2012, 11:08 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: *NEED HELP* Finding Projects For Gifted Senior Builders

I'm not sure they need much aid. From the looks of that video they are doing just fine. The important thing being that they are making things which is helping to fill their days. What was lacking was the inspiration to actually get things going. This would appear to have been supplied by the presence and efforts of Al Ladine and his serious lack of intrest in just waiting around for it all to end.

I know that your heart is in the right place but generally places such as shown are not cheap to live in and the residents are generally fairly well off financially. If I were to donate kits or other supplies to a cause I think I'd rather see them going to something more of an underprivaleged youth sort of program.