Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Big Stick 60 Mods in the planning stages

I have a Big Stick 60 that I love. I am thinking of performing two mods to the aircraft but i wanted to see if anyone out there had any thoughts or experience with these. I do not want to drastically change the appearance of the plane.
    Mod 1: I want to increase the rudder surface area. I have two thoughts on this. Option 1 is to cut the top off of the vertical stabilizer just above the cross then pin it to the rudder to make one piece. Option 2 is to simply build a new rudder adding an additional inch to the width while still keeping the same profile. Of course I could always opt do both mods.

Mod 2: Lighten the airframe. I am looking at shaving off excess weight. I currently have 3 oz. of lead in the tail so as I was looking at the fuse to see what I could do I found myself wondering if the balsa sheeting was really required up front. does it provide structural integrity or could I start putting 1" holes in the large areas of the fuse (be careful not to cut into the ply formers that act as the actual framework.

let me know what you think or have already done. any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance>>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Big Stick 60 Mods in the planning stages

The main thing is to keep the lightening process forward of the CG. I would look at the firewall and make sure I enought surface contact to properly transfer vibration and stress forces over the largest area possible. In my experience the process of transfering the forces is the key to allowing you to lighten the aircraft. Don't forget to look at your fuselage formers are they solid or is the center cut out, what type of materials were used? I redishned a beautiful scale airplane originally designed with all plywood formers and wingspars and lightened it considerably buy updating the materials used. You be surprised how much weight you can save in the nose by substituting a newer light weight wheel for the nose wheel. It little things like shifting the position of the radio, servos and receiver battery that can pay big dividends. Start small you may find you can drop the tail weight a lot easier than you think.
    Top Flite Brotherhood # 1
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Ryan STA/STM/SC-M/W Brotherhood # 27
    SIG Kadet Brotherhood # 89
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    My bench where you always find the weird and unusual!
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Loosing tail weight without cutting firewall support

How far aft is your battery? Could you make a hatch and mount it in fuse aft of the wing area?,, You could mount the servos in the tail section also

I'd try that before I start cutting up and possibly weakening the fuse,,, good luck
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My battery is back behind the wing, just in front of the rear wing support formers.  I have been thinking of moving the servo's to the rear but i have concerns of increased drag

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I doubt you'd notice anything,, we do that on our Giant Scale planes all the time
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

I doubt you'd notice anything,, we do that on our Giant Scale planes all the time

I have seen exposed servos on the rear of the big pattern planes use in competition and it doesn't affect their precision flying or they wouldn't do it.
    Top Flite Brotherhood # 1
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Ryan STA/STM/SC-M/W Brotherhood # 27
    SIG Kadet Brotherhood # 89
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    My bench where you always find the weird and unusual!
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All of the Big Sticks tend to come out nose heavy. My method is to build the plane without the rudder and elevator servos, then check the CG. I normally just use the main spar.

If the plane is nose heavy, I move one or both servos to the rear. I put the elevator servo on the left side and the rudder servo on top the fuselage and use a pull-pull set-up.

You might also consider converting to a tail dragger configuration to save the forward weight of the nose gear assembly.

3 degrees of anhedral on each side will also make the plane fly better, just like a low wing plane with dihedral. I've flown many high-shoulder wing planes with anhedral. No more roll with rudder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz79595.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	1747334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16494.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	1747335  
    Ed Moorman, AMA 553, Former R/C Report Fun Aerobatics Columnist. 76 and up to my old tricks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ed I like the rudder braces on your bird.  The rudder server also looks good.

I am not sure what anhedral is?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are a lot of things you can do to a Ugly Stick. Here is a few pictures of mine. This plane is over 20 years old.

Frank
    AMA #5810

Name:	Up47716.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	1761826  
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor
    Club Safety Officer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I haven't built a stick that I haven't cut the nose off!
    Usually about 40% is removed and a new fire wall installed with about 3deg right thrust built in straight away.
    No need for tail weight and greatly improves the looks.
    Other mods include, tail dragger, larger ailerons, flat wing (looks better than anhedral even though it isn't quite as good)
    and Stab on top of body instead of bottom/Split elevators and a larger traditional shaped rudder extending to fuselage bottom.
    Last but not least, British roundels.
    Sounds awful? I'll post some pictures on Monday and you'll be converted.
    Best Regards: davidbathe.com
    Occasional Aircraft Illustrations.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah i love my stick, i'm still on the fence about making it a tail dragger, and so far I have taken no other action on extending the surfaces .. i am fearful of cutting on the bird that flies so well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, I am glad I proof read. I almost wrote something very dumb and stupid concerning this topic, until I reread it and saw what I had said.
    Now I don't have to have everyone else tell me I was stupid. If it wasn't said it doesn't count.
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #73

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I built a stik a couple years ago from RCM plans (Phil Kraft). I modified the plans and built mine with a symetrical airfoild and a straight one-piece wing. The plane came out heavy at about 8 lbs so i am powering it with a 95ax. I am getting ready to build another stik that is 121% larger than the RCM plans. I sized this to match ( I hope) a 120ax i have. This time I will build lighter. I plan on installing the elevator and rudder servos in the back of the fuse along with a compartment behind the wing for the battery. I might also shorten the fuse between the fire wall and the first former so that I can just fit a 12 oz tank in the tank compartment. This will help keep the nose weight down. I also want to build the rudder and elevator with sticks instead of a solid rudder. this should lighten the airframe some.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GR, is that going to be a winter project? Hope it's ready for spring, I can't wait to see it fly. I still have 2/3rds of a fuselage and a wing with slight damage thatI want to rebuild this winter if I can get time to do it. I agree with you on making the nose shorter, and moving the tail servos aft to save weight. Mine was a GP ARF and still needed almost 2oz. in the tail. If I rebuild I'm going to try and not need any weight added.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why not move wing foward instead of shortening nose? Tail moment will now be longer,
    has to be a good thing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You could convert to a tail dragger and loose the nose gear. I did that on my 120 sized stick with a 20cc gasser and had to add about a 1/2 oz to balance. All my equipment is in the CG area.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would think that moving the wing forward would be a pretty hard undertaking.On a different note after I started this thread some time ago I had a hard landing in the grass which broke my nose gear so I went ahead and turned it into a tail dragger. Glad I did.A buddy crashed his electric stick. He gave it to me, I repaired it, flipped it over and made it a low wing nitro. that was a fun project.. and she is a ball to fly. I increased the elevator and rudder surface area. I am planning on increasing the ailerons as well, been too busy building a corsair to mod that little stick anymore, but it will get another pass at my work bench.Lets see if these pictures come through. I have dubbed it my "Dead Stick"

Name:	Xv64138.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	1816447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gc91039.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	1816448