Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Foam XB-70 Scratch Built...best foam!!

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Foam XB-70 Scratch Built...best foam!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foam XB-70 Scratch Built...best foam!!

I am going to hand sand and carve an XB-70 fuse and wing out of as light a foam as I can get. I did this a long time ago, especially with a Lear Jet and It came out beautifully. I was using the popular insulation foam at the time. Now there are several types of foam such as EPP, ESS, Aero-Foam and ***!!!!!!!! What do you knoweledgeable foamie pros suggest? I will be doing the wing that way also...with a bit of carbon fiber rods strenghtening it. I might run some 1/16 carbon across the fuse for stiffness. I have a giant(9 foot long 6 foot w.s. plane.) I have a 28 in long 21 in w.s. also have 51 inch long 31 inch w.s. This time I want to do an indoor job with a length of 21 inches and a span of 16." I will be using several 30mm EDF and will try to put the elevators on the front canard. Making the entire canard a control surface. I have located a 24mm fan unit which would give me lots of oomph! I need to know exaclty what type of foam to use. Any help would be appreciated. I have been doing some drawing on a B-70 with a fuse lenghth of 12 feet and a w.s. of around 7&1/2 feet but the 21 incher will look good in the church.(which will be a divine place to try it!!!!!!) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Foam XB-70 Scratch Built...best foam!!

Im bit confused here, what will be specs of this XB-70 model.....