Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

pattern making

Old 04-21-2002, 02:28 PM
tfgreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pattern making

Greetings,

I'd like to make a pattern for the ribs in one of my parkflyers. The wing is covered with transparent material, so I can clearly see the ribs, but I haven't been able to make a usable patter for copying these ribs.

I've tried using a compass to individually trace the upper and lower contours - but I've yet to make tracings accurate enough to be useful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 04-21-2002, 06:30 PM
Mike James

Default Ribs from a model already built

A few suggestions...

> Obviously, if you have the plans, or can borrow some plans from someone else who has the same plane, you could trace them.

> Ask the manufacturer to do one of two things:
1. Send you a rib pattern (or a set of plans)
2. Ask the manufacturer what airfoil is used, then I, or someone else on this
forum could plot the pattern and send it to you

> Wait until you crash or otherwise damage the plane, so that you can re-create it from the damaged wing.

> Make an undersize pattern from cardboard, and keep trial-fitting it over the wing, and trimming it until it fits, then trace that.

> Guess. You can probably use one of many suitable model airfoils, based on an "eyeball" analysis of the airfoil on your existing plane.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:55 PM
tfgreen

Default pattern making

Mike -

Great suggestions. Thanks for taking the time.

I read about your B200 project with great interest. Thanks for sharing that too.

Tim
Old 04-21-2002, 10:31 PM
Mike James

Default Tips

My Pleasure.

This forum has been one of the most educational and friendly ones I've been on, and I've made a bunch of new friends, sharing info, tips, drawings, photos, ...you name it.

To the Forum Administrator: Thanks for RC Universe. Don't stop!