Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

plywood help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 09:27 PM
highflyer353535
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plywood help please

hi, i am needing plywood i have a question on 1/64 ply and 1/32 ply is this really ply seems thin to be plywood? well anyway this will be used to sheet a 1/4 scale hydroplane i am looking for strength but also need it to be flexible enough to form around the sponsons what would be better 1/64 ply or 1/32 ply? any help would be appreciate i never worked with this thin of ply so thats why i am unsure thank you
Old 09-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

I have some 1/64" thick plywood that appears to be at least 3 plys. I have bought 1/32" plywood that appeared to be 5 plys. It is true plywood.

The thickness that you need depends entirely on the size of the sponson. I assume that you will fiberglass over the plywood skin. It seems to me that it would be better to make the sponson totally out of styrofoam, sheet it with a flexible wood (thin plywood, obechi, or balsa, the fiberglass over that. In that case, I would use anything other than the plywood simply because of the cost.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Dave G

highflyer, look on Aircraft Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../menus/wp5.php

Anyway I've used the Finnish ply for some complex bends and since it glued on the bias (each layer glued 45 degrees to the next), it readily bends in one axis easily. Of course it won't compound bend, but that's what sectioning is for.

Depending on how far the bulkheads are spaced in the sponsons, will determine how thick the ply will be. In my application, I used the 1/32" that's 3 ply. There's all sorts to choose from.

Good luck
Old 09-12-2003, 11:27 AM
us1hydro
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: plywood help please

1/8 scale hydros built for racing generally use 1/32 or 1/64 ply. The sponson designs generally don't have any compound curves to speak of.A 1/4 scale is going to be BIG, about 8' depending on what boat your modeling it after. What are you gonna use for power - a 350 chevy?
Old 09-15-2003, 07:17 AM
oldcabmkr
My Feedback: (127)

On large scale model boats in the past, I have used a two-ply veneer or also called no black line. The veneer is available from most woodworking centers for about $40-$50, you don't need anything expensive. The veneer is glued good side down so the luan back is showing if you want to show the nice side and stain rather than paint glue it down normally. One thing nice about the veneer it is available in 10' lengths.Thanks Doug
Old 09-15-2003, 09:30 AM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to dip the item into water as indicated, you need marine quality plywood. Aircraft quality has a different glue binding the laminates. Finnish plywood is most generally brouhgt into the USA for A/C purposes. It is actually metric thickness, not fractional.

Model Expo used to be only one I had heard of who had marine quality wood. They aren't cheap too.

Wm.