Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1/6 Scale Hellcat

Truth be known the last thing I need right now is another project. However, after some prodding from various sources, I've decided to forge ahead with a 1/6 scale enlargement of my smaller Hellcat design. Because of my heavy schedule I have enlisted the help of my brother to get this thing built and between the two of us we should be able to get it done although, for certain, it won't be fast. Hopefully it will be steady though! For the most part the design is a direct enlargement of my 1/8 scale airplane but with a few changes to, hopefully, bring it up to a contest level effort so we can fly it in team scale competition. Anticipated changes include scale hinging on all the flight controls, scale slotted flaps, a power operated sliding canopy, full cockpit, and a few other minor nips and tucks for the sake of scale fidelity. As usual I hope to make the plans, laser cut parts, and accessories available once a prototype has flown successfully. Here are the specs:

Scale - 1/6
    Span - 86 inches
    Area - approximately 1350 sq/in
    Weight - shooting for 25 lbs but 30-32 is within reason
    Retracts - Sierra Giant mains and Robart tail wheel
    Power - we will be using a G62 in the prototype
    Construction - traditional built up with a glass cowl, belly pan, and a few other parts (We plan to build a second fuse to be used as a plug for a potential glass fuselage option)

Here is a comparison of the relative sizes of the 1/8 and 1/6 scale airplanes. The bigger bird has substantially more volume, not to mention wing area. Based on how well the smaller one flys we are VERY excited by the potential of the bigger one. If we can come in anywhere near 25 pounds it should be a big trainer.

As is the standard practice construction began with the tail surfaces. The vertical fin is actually much further along than shown but I have not snapped any pics of the progress. Much to my brother's chagrin I have decided not to use the horizontal seen here and am currently re-designing it. For reasons I cannot explain I used a much thinner than scale section on the 1/8 scale model and did not catch the error until just a couple of days ago. Since we are attempting to make a contest quality airplane here the decision was made to start over and do it right.

Most of the parts have been cut for the fuselage and the firewall/fuel tank/wing saddle box which forms the heart of the beast has been primarily assembled. Here it is shown with a few formers and stringers set in place for a quick look. We hope to get the jig fixtures in place and start gluing this weekend.

Thanks for checking in!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 1/6 Scale Hellcat

I have the Hangar 9 Hellcat .60 ARF.
    It's a nice plane, I'd like to get a larger one, someday.
    I look forward to following your build, especially the detailing you are planning. I always learn a lot from these types of build logs.
    Thanks for sharing.
    AB Bob
    Cub Brotherhood #75
    Flying on the wing!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This would be a nice companion for my Corsair. Subscribed! I hope you are taking pictures as you progress.
    Top Flite Brotherhood # 1
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Ryan STA/STM/SC-M/W Brotherhood # 27
    SIG Kadet Brotherhood # 89
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    My bench where you always find the weird and unusual!
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chad, your my hero. Looking forward to this build. Shows just how large this baby is. At 1/6 scale it is the same size as most 1/5 scale warbirds.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for checking in AB Bob and welcome aboard. I will do my best to keep your attention!

Not to worry FlyerInOKC, there will be lots and lots of pictures to share. I too have a 1/6 scale Corsair in the works that I hope will one day share hangar space with the Hellcat.

Thanks Ram-bro and you are certainly correct about the size of the Hellcat. While the P-47 is considered the largest single engine WW2 fighter that title must be based on weight as the wing span of the Hellcat is larger. In terms of volume the Hellcat would certainly win over the Jug. At 1/6 scale the span of the Hellcat is just under 86 inches compared to 81.5 inches for all versions of the P-47 save the N model. Even the extended wing of the P-47N is a bit smaller than the Hellcat's span at just a fraction over 85 inches in 1/6 scale.

As noted in my original post the model will be designed around the Sierra Giant main gear as seen below. I've yet to have a set of Sierra gear that were not top of the line and I expect these will be no exception. They will get a bit of scale "eye candy" added to bring them up to competition standard.

The airplane will ride on a set of 5 1/2 inch scale wheels from DaVinci Machining. These things are cool!

The tail gear will be a large Robart unit and with just a bit of dressing up will do a commendable job of simulating the full size.

And here is a look at the "quick and dirty" set of fuselage and tail group drawings being used to construct the prototype. The finished plans will be substantially nicer to look at!

Hopefully the weekend will see some progress and I will have more to share in the week to follow. Thanks again guys!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Truth be known the last thing I need right now is another project. However, after some prodding from various sources, I've decided to forge ahead with a 1/6 scale enlargement of my smaller Hellcat design.
    Truth be known I've built 2 Hellcats, one scratch build, and haven't flown either yet. [] More embarrassingly, I've only flown a foamie version.
    Great project though Chad, and a favorite. They certainly do have a thick tail section also. One of those things where there's no escaping a bit of tail weight, to do it right. Do you have a supplier for the cowl, or will it be a hand made glass mold?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig12042.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	1794885  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bill G

Truth be known the last thing I need right now is another project. However, after some prodding from various sources, I've decided to forge ahead with a 1/6 scale enlargement of my smaller Hellcat design.
    Truth be known I've built 2 Hellcats, one scratch build, and haven't flown either yet. [] More embarrassingly, I've only flown a foamie version.
    Great project though Chad, and a favorite. They certainly do have a thick tail section also. One of those things where there's no escaping a bit of tail weight, to do it right. Do you have a supplier for the cowl, or will it be a hand made glass mold?
    Hello Bill,

Thanks for checking in and nice little Hellcat you've got there. Is that a Guillows? Regarding the cowl and other items to be offered in fiberglass I will make the plugs and then have a third party do the actual molding of the parts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Bill,

Thanks for checking in and nice little Hellcat you've got there. Is that a Guillows? Regarding the cowl and other items to be offered in fiberglass I will make the plugs and then have a third party do the actual molding of the parts.

Thanks, it's a 125% Guillows scratch build of around 40".
    I figured there may be cowls available at your scale, but there's nothing like making the part exactly the way you want it, by making your own plug.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for checking in AB Bob and welcome aboard. I will do my best to keep your attention!

Not to worry FlyerInOKC, there will be lots and lots of pictures to share. I too have a 1/6 scale Corsair in the works that I hope will one day share hangar space with the Hellcat.

Thanks Ram-bro and you are certainly correct about the size of the Hellcat. While the P-47 is considered the largest single engine WW2 fighter that title must be based on weight as the wing span of the Hellcat is larger. In terms of volume the Hellcat would certainly win over the Jug. At 1/6 scale the span of the Hellcat is just under 86 inches compared to 81.5 inches for all versions of the P-47 save the N model. Even the extended wing of the P-47N is a bit smaller than the Hellcat's span at just a fraction over 85 inches in 1/6 scale.

As noted in my original post the model will be designed around the Sierra Giant main gear as seen below. I've yet to have a set of Sierra gear that were not top of the line and I expect these will be no exception. They will get a bit of scale ''eye candy'' added to bring them up to competition standard.

The airplane will ride on a set of 5 1/2 inch scale wheels from DaVinci Machining. These things are cool!

The tail gear will be a large Robart unit and with just a bit of dressing up will do a commendable job of simulating the full size.

And here is a look at the ''quick and dirty'' set of fuselage and tail group drawings being used to construct the prototype. The finished plans will be substantially nicer to look at!

Hopefully the weekend will see some progress and I will have more to share in the week to follow. Thanks again guys!
    [] The stupid firewall blocks the photo bucket links completely. DARN! [:@]
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We got some time in the shop today and a fuse is starting to take shape. Had to stick the tail feathers in place for a look. The horizontal you see here will not be used as I discovered that the airfoil is much thinner than scale. Not sure how I overlooked it when designing the smaller Hellcat. It's not all that noticeable on the 1/8 scale model but in the larger scale it becomes more apparent and, since we may compete with this model, the decision was made to start over and do it right. A new horizontal is being designed as we speak. Next step in the fuselage construction will be to get the elevator, rudder, tailwheel servos installed and make up the control runs while we still have easy access.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where do I sign the short kit waiting list? Should be awesome
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for checking in Scale and for the vote of confidence. Keep an eye on this thread for any and all developments concerning plans/parts/kits availability.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Subscribed - Not that I need another project, but I cant resist. That time of the year.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice!
    For a kit you are, and to a kit you shall return.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How about adding the pictures directly the firewall here appears to block Photobucket.
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm seeing everything as far as I know. I'm on firefox.
    For a kit you are, and to a kit you shall return.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FlyerInOKC

How about adding the pictures directly the firewall here appears to block Photobucket.
    Here is the last one I posted Flyer, just to give you an idea of where we are at.

Name:	Fd92170.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	1795738  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is the last one I posted Flyer, just to give you an idea of where we are at.

DROOL!
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Chad. The attachments are much easier to view and don't take so long to down load. Dan.
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

... checking in.

Pedro
    Spitfire Brotherhood #96, Ultra Sport Brotherhood #20

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A tad bit of progress is made and, hopefully, more to come with the Holiday weekend. A revised horizontal stab has been designed to replace the old unit with the incorrect airfoil. I've strayed from my norm here and gone back to a "half shell" type of construction. I hope this method will allow for easier set up of the scale gapless hinge but time will tell. With any luck we will have a near finished stab by Monday.

Name:	Zx70982.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	560.3 KB 
ID:	1797097  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Subscribed! I have a feeling this will be a must have!
    Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chad, you have your own Lazer cutter?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

Chad, you have your own Lazer cutter?
    A recent development Ram, but yes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(] nice Chad number 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast