Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Used AutoCad

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 AM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Used AutoCad

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

''then inserted to the 3D program to create the solid model. ''

And then you have a solid model; pretty to look at, but pretty much worthless for anything else; from MY point of view.

Les
The solid model is used to position the mechanical parts, create the formers and spars, slice the wing up for the ribs, etc, etc,etc
limeybob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40078.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1798360  
Old 09-05-2012, 06:16 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"The solid model is used to position the mechanical parts,"

And then you go BACK to the three views to make sure NOTHING protrudes out thru the skin.

Les
Old 09-05-2012, 06:33 AM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

''The solid model is used to position the mechanical parts,''

And then you go BACK to the three views to make sure NOTHING protrudes out thru the skin.

Les
What????
Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 PM
haikt
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try making some complex fuse without the solid model
from a solid model you can get a former/rib/weight at any point you want.
2d is ok for most of the airplanes as long as the fuse does not have any complex curves
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Mooney_driver

"Ok guy's, I have been about eight hour's on this thing, the Draftsight."

A good tutorial, that walks you through various excercises works wonders.
Where is this tutorial? The hot link took me to RCU buy a keyword rather than going to any tutorial.

Thank you.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:21 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Where is this tutorial?"

What I used was "Mastering AutoCAD 2000", by George Omura, published by Sybex, and "3d Modeling in AutoCAD" by Jonh Wilson, published by Cadence.

Les
Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 PM
oldbassard

Hey Gang

I own a businessthat uses several versions of CAD.Autocad, cadworx and the newest autoplant 3d are the most used here. What I am about to tell you will not do you any good if you don't know how to use the controls. You can get a 30 day trial of autocad free from the autocad site. If you know nothing about autocad and want to try it. Just google commands for it such as "Autocad draw a circle." As far a "Tutorials" there are none sponsored by autocad oline, most businesses that sell it offer a course that costs about $1000.00 for 3 days or you can take a beginnerscourse in Jr college for a half semester and get a start at it. If you want to be really good with autocad, take advanced course later then work with it for a year or so, then you will be pretty fair with it. There are a ton of things to learn about it to use it correctly.

Usually if you keep an eye out for it, from time to time you can find an unlicenced version of it on ebay pretty cheaply, but beware, the 64 bit version will not work on a 32bit puter andvice versa. Still if you find one, the more useful item to find will be abook on how to use the program, those will be much harder to find and will sell for by far more than the programl. Maybe ifyouknow a person that has taken itborrow thiers. It usually cost over a thousand dollars to get one of these books because you have to sign up for a class to get one.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:26 PM
draftman1

I still use 2002 and it is working fine for me, i use XP. it does everything that I want it to do. I havnt learned the 3d part yet but I have using autocad since about 2000. If your really stuck on Autocad, there is always the non 3d version of Autocad LT for alot less money.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:01 PM
oldbassard

I DID forget, there IS a book out that you can buy over the counter that will help you learn to use autocad. I honestly am not trying to be a smart alec when I tell you the name of it and sometimes you can find it on ebay too it's called AUTOCAD FORIDIOTS. Honestly that's what it's called. It's good enough to help some one get started
Old 09-15-2012, 06:13 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"I honestly am not trying to be a smart alec when I tell you the name of it"

I actually found the set of XXX for Idiots quite well written; down to earth, not full of technical jargon that you were required to know in order to use.

Les
Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 AM
Roguedog

Here's a tutorial for taking a plan you have scanning it to a digital format and importing it into Draftsight so you can trace parts. It's not finished but should help to get you started.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10424372

Old 12-28-2012, 03:11 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

there are tutorials on Youtube for both ACAD and Draftsight.