Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used AutoCad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Used AutoCad

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not. Can AutoCad be bought used?
    Have wondered for some time if I could design an aeroplane for myself. But it didn't take but a minute to learn how much a program cost new. Quite frankly that's too much not knowing if I can even do it.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Used AutoCad

ORIGINAL: acerc

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not. Can AutoCad be bought used?
    Have wondered for some time if I could design an aeroplane for myself. But it didn't take but a minute to learn how much a program cost new. Quite frankly that's too much not knowing if I can even do it.
    download DraftSight, its free, and supported, and works just like autocad.
    limeybob
    Laser-Design-Services
    JetMach manufacturer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you serious? And with this I can give it a whirl.
    I'm not being sarcastic with that question just don't see many thing's free. Especially with the cost of a program.
    Just looked it up. WOW
    Do you have a recommendation on which site to download from?
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HI TRY DRAFT SIGHT IS Free!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you serious? And with this I can give it a whirl.
    Β*I'm not being sarcastic with that question just don't see many thing's free. Especially with the cost of a program.
    Just looked it up. WOW
    Do you have a recommendation on which site to download from?
    Its a Dassault (solidworks) product, one of the links should take you to a download site.
    Like here: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/product...-downloads.htm
    limeybob
    Laser-Design-Services
    JetMach manufacturer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank You gentlemen. It has been downloaded. Why do I have a feeling that was by far the easy part.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes you can buy AutoCAD used. Whether or not it's legal or in the terms of their license agreement, they are not going to set their lawyers onto you or drag you through the supreme court for designing an aeroplane. If however, you started to make a lot of money from that aeroplane design, then they may take notice, and it would be prudent to purchase your own software firsthand.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The problem with a lot of high end software like AutoCAD is what I call "forced obsolescence". There is currently a practice of releasing a new version of AutoCAD every year. I bought a legitimate version of ACAD 2000, and still use it today, but Windows 7 makes it crash frequently and it will not run without aftermarket patches. Autodesk will not support any of its products that are more than three years old.

The big problem is that most of the changes from one version to the next are cosmetic, and just done to force people to buy the latest and "greatest". The latest version I used was 2009, and I thought it totally sucked.

I will continue to use my copy of ACAD 2000 as long as possible, and I have a machine that still runs Win98. There was very little in ACAD 2009, that I could not have done faster in ACAD 2000. If you are not a CAD wiz, or a pretty decent hacker, used copies of ACAD are not for you, since there is a bit if trickery involved just to get then to work.
    Cali is a city in Colombia
    I\'\'m from California.

Banned

I had to give up AutoCAD 2000 when my computer died, and I had to get a new one. AutoCAD 2000 was 8 bit format, and new computer is 16 bit; not compatable.

I bought Turbo CAD Deluxe for around $100, and am pretty much at home with it. Works very similarly.

"Can AutoCad be bought used?
    Have wondered for some time if I could design an aeroplane for myself."

And, be aware, that AutoCAD was primarily an Architectural tool, that was "adapted" for mechanical design; sort of like putting a bandage on an injury that should have had stitches. And I was using AutoCAD since somewhere in the region of Version 9???

Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use Design Cad, much less expensive than AutoCad and does ever bit as good a job. Any of the Cad systems will require quite a bit of study or practice to use efficiently. By efficiently I mean quickly, when you first start you will spend 90% of your time trying to find out how to do specific steps or trying to determine if you can even do some of the things you decide to do. Such things as How to do a mirror image, how to change line style, how to move a point or section in a drawing, how to import/export an image or part of an image, how to use a jpg as a pattern, etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok guy's, I have been about eight hour's on this thing, the Draftsight. And to be quite honest, I don't think it's for me.
    Just to much for this old man to learn. I can draw onmytable just fine.
    Thank's for the help and replies.

My hat's off to those of you who are capable.
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL:

And, be aware, that AutoCAD was primarily an Architectural tool, that was ''adapted'' for mechanical design; sort of like putting a bandage on an injury that should have had stitches. And I was using AutoCAD since somewhere in the region of Version 9???

Les
    Pretty much true. When I started on v10, in 1990 there was a lot more AutoCAD used in manufacturing. Now it is almost non existent in that field. My career drifted from manufacturing into construction engineering due to having gotten too good at ACAD.

Ok guy's, I have been about eight hour's on this thing, the Draftsight. And to be quite honest, I don't think it's for me.
    Just to much for this old man to learn. I can draw onΒ*myΒ*table just fine.
    Thank's for the help and replies.

My hat's off to those of you who are capable.
    Nothing wrong with a pencil and straight edge. There is a learning curve to any cad system. It took me over a year before I could draw as fast on a computer as I could by hand. Once you get a good sized "toolbox" of computer techniques, you will be lightning fast. Spend a couple of hours a day.
    I\'\'m from California.

Banned

"Ok guy's, I have been about eight hour's on this thing, the Draftsight."

A good tutorial, that walks you through various excercises works wonders. It may not be drawing what you want to draw, but it will familiarize you with the tools. I still have my drafting table here in my home office, but I took the paralles rules off years ago, and not it is just used for storage:-))))))))))))

Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

More time on it.
    Set yourself a few simple excersises and do them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi acerc
    So you feel your are too old to learn? I'm 76 now and just love to draw on my laptop while sitting in my easy chair. When I learned computer drawing, I already knew drafting. It still was hard to learn on the computer. I kept at it and eventually I got very good at it. I suggest staying with it and thinking positive about the whole experience.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used autoCAD about ten years ago at work, and loved it. I would love to have it at home but can't justify the expense, about $1000.00 for acad lite.
    I have heard that DraftSite is good and is functionally similar to AutoCAD but last time I heard there was a problem with printing out, anyone heard anything about this?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: davidhand

I used autoCAD about ten years ago at work, and loved it. I would love to have it at home but can't justify the expense, about $1000.00 for acad lite.
    I have heard that DraftSite is good and is functionally similar to AutoCAD but last time I heard there was a problem with printing out, anyone heard anything about this?
    mine, version V1R1.3, seems to print OK.
    Bob
    Laser-Design-Services
    JetMach manufacturer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I down loaded the tutorial and gave it a look. I will hook the laptop with the program up to the big screen and use the other lap top to follow the tutorial. Isaid I don't think it's for me but I'm not one to quit. I really want to be able to draw on this thing.
    I think my biggest problem is I'm more of a hand's on type. So by doing as stated above I can follow along untill I get the hang of it.
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi I have just downloaded DraftSight and indeed it seems to run very similar to AutoCAD. Just one problem (so far) I am running on Windows XP and was warned during the installation process that the graphics driver (6-14-10-4943) was unstable. The program has indeed crashed twice both times while zooming. Anybody got any suggestions?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A question for the Draft Sight users: Will Draft Sight convert/save a DWF into a PDF for tile printing? What limitations are on the freeware version to get you to purchase Solidworks licensed products? Educate me please!
    Top Flite Brotherhood # 1
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Ryan STA/STM/SC-M/W Brotherhood # 27
    SIG Kadet Brotherhood # 89
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    My bench where you always find the weird and unusual!
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FlyerInOKC

A question for the Draft Sight users: Will Draft Sight convert/save a DWF into a PDF for tile printing? What limitations are on the freeware version to get you to purchase Solidworks licensed products? Educate me please!
    See if you have a PDF driver available in your printer device options, if not you will need to install one.
    my version saved to PDF, no problem.
    No limitations that I know of.
    Bob
    Laser-Design-Services
    JetMach manufacturer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FlyerInOKC

Draft Sight, TurboCad, and DesignCad are all "Dumb Vector" drawing programs like AutoCAD. SolidWorks is an entirely different animal. I doubt that you would be able to upgrade to SolidWorks from Draft Sight.

AutoCAD, and programs like it, are basicaly 2D programs with third dimension capabilities. SolidWorks, is a Parametric Modeling software, in which you program 3D solids with clearly defined, and editable, parameters. The advantage of doing this as opposed to 3D AutoCAD, is that changes to the shape of your object can be made by editing the parameters. In AutoCAD you "edit" a 3Dsolid by continually adding, or subtracting more data, which is inefficient.

Parametric modeling is an entirely different learning curve, but once you get the gist of it, you will not go back to dumb vector cad.
    I\'\'m from California.

Banned

"you will not go back to dumb vector cad. "

I don't know about that. I bit the bullet, took the time, and learned the 3d skills necessary, and found things too cumberson. Went back to 2d, and 3 views.

Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

''you will not go back to dumb vector cad. ''

I don't know about that. I bit the bullet, took the time, and learned the 3d skills necessary, and found things too cumberson. Went back to 2d, and 3 views.

Les
    use both 2D and 3D, the outlines and sections are drawn in 2D and saved as .dxf, then inserted to the 3D program to create the solid model.
    From there, the structure can be created and saved as working drawings to build from.
    See latest work
    limeybob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki20481.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	1797908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh20344.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	1797909  
    Laser-Design-Services
    JetMach manufacturer

Banned

"then inserted to the 3D program to create the solid model. "

And then you have a solid model; pretty to look at, but pretty much worthless for anything else; from MY point of view.

Les

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast