Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Kadet Senior 200% Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 12:47 AM
therealgoliath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kadet Senior 200% Advice

I have recently rebuilt a sig kadet senior after a crash. I built it all back up by the plans a scratch cutting all of the pieces. It was fun...and that brought me to want to build a 200% Kadet Senior....anyone have any advice on building? Do I make the same number of ribs and just scale up the size of the wood or do I double the number of ribs and keep the same size wood?
Old 09-09-2003, 01:46 AM
Wayne H

Default RE: Kadet Senior 200% Advice

Here's mine. 85 inch wingspan using the same ribs that come in the wing kit for the Kadet Senior. I space them out further and I used 1/2 inch square clear doug fir for the spars. The engine is a 21cc Echo Weed-Eater engine. I bought the conversion parts at www.carrprecision.com. Door skin fuselage. Flies great!!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:35 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received this photo of a 2X Kadet... unfortunately the link with the photo is inop...
But consider the tragedy in the MonoKote forests every time one of these is built!
Seriously, scaling up these things usually ends up with a seriously overweight airplane.
Lots of hardwood and ply, which really isn't needed.
Stronger wing spars and fuselage longerons are probably all that need be upgraded.
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Mattholew

I am very interested in building an oversized Kadet with a gas motor.

Anyone every done one bigger than 1x. I have seen a 1.2x on Pauls web site but I need more info on them. Like what to beef up, what engine size.

I want a big plane, and I LOVE the Kadets.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:38 PM
jerry dotson

Bob Ernsbarger at Prattville,Al can probably tell you who has one in his area. I saw it a couple of years ago up there. It was huge....had lawnmower wheels on it!! 32 inch chord wings. I think it had a G-45 on it. Power was a little weak. Do a search by author on ensbarger and you can email him. He is a member of this group.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:41 PM
I Got Hit

Id love to see one of those flying. The way I see (I may be very wrong though) if they fly the way they fly standard size, it should fly much better scaled up. Does it make sence?
Old 09-12-2003, 08:39 AM
tpstorey

I guy in St. Louis named Jerry Davis built one and flew it with, believe it or not, a 1.20FS. It was something to see. Very slow and glided forever. Lots of people said put a bigger motor on it, but Jerry liked it just the way it was. Unfortunately, Jerry died about a year ago.

As I remember, he pretty much just doubled the plans in every way (1/16 inch balsa became 1/8, etc.). He used pine for the main spar.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:39 AM
therealgoliath

Now the only problem I see with taking say a 1/4" piece and using a 1/2" is that you are technically 400% bigger. I think I have to use 3/8" wood for that piece instead...is that right?
Old 09-12-2003, 10:56 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doubling the sizes is what makes those planes so heavy!
3/8" should be OK, spruce for the longerons, balsa for the uprights.
I would build the horizontal and verticals as small wings. The horizontal span after all will be 60 inches!
1/16"x1" strips for the leading and trailing edge top and bottom, 1/2" square balsa in between.
1/4"x1/2" diagonals, with 1/16"x1/2" capstrips.
This would be light and very strong.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:36 PM
wagas

Well this is the family airplane. My Uncle was the one with the idea and Grandpa (86 years young) blew up the Senior Kadet plans exactly 2X. It's been flying for years now and started life out with a quadra 35 and later had a G45 installed. I can tell you that you could make this thing 100 lbs and it would still fly with a G45. Understand what a Lifting airfoil is? he he -JK-

Grandpa built a real airplane (baby ace) back in the 40-50s if I remember right, and was a aircraft mechanic for a living. HE KNOWS HOW TO BUILD Airplanes. Ribs are built up and are sight to see. That is usually the topic of discussion when people look at this thing (first covering job was transparent). I've never asked what the weight is but I believe it's around 35 lbs (not real sure). Vert/Horz stab are completely removable for transport. 1 1/4 servo per control surface with the elevator running split sides.

This airplane has no bad habits (except when my uncle fly's it and decides halfway thru the roll that he changes his mind) I've flown this one myself many times and landed as well. Piece o' Cake . Controls are a little sluggish but that is expected with this type of airplane. The airplane has already been recovered once. The fuse is fabric covered and the wings/tail have been recovered in monokote. Yes it does take a lot of monokote. Engine selection, hmmmm unless your going to hover something like this the only thing that a bigger engine would do would make you climb quicker. Speed did not change significantly when he switched to a G45. He usually does a loop and at the bottom of the loop he goes into a roll.

It's a novelty and they really don't fly it with the exception of fly-ins lately. It takes a lot to put it together.

In the picture in post #3 is my pop on the left, Next to him is my uncle standing next to his son and grandpa on the far right. Yes, they really can't figure out how to turn on the TX'r he he...actually it was programming problems. The pic was taken at Huntsville AL fly-in July 2000.

Here is some pics of the airplane taken just the other month at a local fly in in Georgia.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59491.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	70803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41259.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	70804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18387.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	70805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41159.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	70806  
Old 10-31-2003, 08:20 PM
cappio777
My Feedback: (2)

Can you take a small child for a ride on one of those? J/K

[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 10-31-2003, 09:24 PM
wagas

I don't know about small children but theres a couple teenagers on my street I'd sure like to give them a ride in it. Heck I wouldn't even care if the wings folded in the process. He He....

On the truthful side, my uncle (while he was station in Germany (Spangdalom-sp-) in the early 80's) tells me of a story that a guy put his wifes cat in something like a giant telemaster. Needless to say the fabric didn't hold the cat in BUT when they did find the cat he at least LANDED ON HIS FEET...
Old 11-08-2003, 02:52 AM
Lonewolf9757
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: <span class=

Hey Therealgoliath,

When you get that monster built, let me know.... you can rent out my 18 wheeler to transport it Good Luck my friend, you have got to put some video up of her in flight...
Old 12-09-2003, 02:11 PM
jlawson

A friend of mine wanted a 200% Sig Kadet. So he asked me if I could blow them up using a computer and scanner. He wanted a 120" Wing Span, so I dissected them, scanned them in the computer and using Adobe Photoshop pieced them back together and them enlarge them about 200%. It took weeks to complete and them get them printed out and pieced back together. But it worked.

He's been building Kadets for years, and finally got the urge to see if he could do it. The plane looks great! He's going to brave it and take it for a flight in the next week or so.

For your interest, here are some pictures! Let me knopw what you think or have any advice for when he fly's it.
In one of the pictures, the 200% is standing next to a normal sized Sig Kadet Sr. HUGE Difference.

He's the guy in the picture behind the Sig Kadet.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90347.gif
Views:	99
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	81047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12266.gif
Views:	92
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	81048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44389.gif
Views:	93
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	81049  
Old 12-11-2003, 08:19 AM
wagas

that looks GREAT.... Should be a real nice flyer....

Is it a two piece wing?

What engine is in it?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:43 PM
raptor5900
My Feedback: (4)

i'll build a %600 with a DA 200 hehe j/k.........but that would be cool 360" wing
Old 08-17-2004, 09:59 PM
rcairplanenut

I would treat it more like a small EAA wood home built airplane. Lots of thin ply gussets, and cable bracing. You might consider using foam board from Michel’s for the ribs, I tried it on a plane that I designed that is a lot like the Kadet and it works well.

SGG
Old 08-22-2004, 03:08 PM
chutt
My Feedback: (1)

Hi friends...
Anyone have Kadet´s plans in scanned format?
My e-mail is:
[email protected]