Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

3D printing RC planes is taking off

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

3D printing RC planes is taking off

Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 PM
videorov
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D printing RC planes is taking off

http://www.3dprinter.net/3d-printed-...are-taking-off

This looks like some cool stuff for the builders. The price of these 3D printers is really coming down, some under $1000

The future looks bright and fun. Better brush up on you CAD. There is a new program just out that make 3D objects from a photo.
http://www.123dapp.com/catch
Lots of neat things to play with.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:29 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: 3D printing RC planes is taking off

It's an interesting technique but until the plastics used and fused together can achieve the same tensile strength and flexibility to match so many of the materials we use currently it still needs some help. For example he didn't "print" on the covering. The material is likely simply not strong enough or stretchy enough to do the job correctly. Also I don't see the fused plastics being great for major load bearing elements such as spars.

BUT, if that glider were "printed" with slots for inserting carbon fiber rods or flat rectangular sections which would be glued into place then you'd have a composite construction that uses the best of both worlds. A printed airframe of low tensile plastic with inlaid carbon stress carrying spars and stringers where and as needed.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

123d is a program that has been pushed by Adesk for a couple of years now. I'm not that impressed. Some clever marketing aimed at the "give me something easy" craowd, but short on features that would compete with modelers like Solidworks.

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

It's an interesting technique but until the plastics used and fused together can achieve the same tensile strength and flexibility to match so many of the materials we use currently it still needs some help. For example he didn't ''print'' on the covering. The material is likely simply not strong enough or stretchy enough to do the job correctly. Also I don't see the fused plastics being great for major load bearing elements such as spars.

BUT, if that glider were ''printed'' with slots for inserting carbon fiber rods or flat rectangular sections which would be glued into place then you'd have a composite construction that uses the best of both worlds. A printed airframe of low tensile plastic with inlaid carbon stress carrying spars and stringers where and as needed.
Our company has moved away from 3D printing for prototypes. Multi-axis CNC machining centers can produce prototypes in about a tenth of the time the fastest rapid prototypers can. Time = $

From Article

Shai Hirsh demonstrates. Instead of measuring, cutting and glueing the balsa wood manually, he has designed and 3D printed his model airplane’s lightweight and strong structure–a structure that won’t break apart as easily as a balsa airplane on those unanticipated hard landings.
Like BMathews said, RP materials have very different properties from wood. The most significant difference is in the fiber grain structure of wood. I would not make a spar from end grain balsa, with would have similar properties to the plastic, which I would suspect is higher density as well.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:57 AM
breakbashfixandrepeat

Figure I would throw this out there I have been following razor hobbies Facebook page and they are 3d printing an extra 300 arf. It's pretty cool seeing companies try new things. I'm anxiouse to see how it fly's.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:40 PM
videorov
My Feedback: (1)

Yes its great to see them trying out new machines to build the future. The 3D printing will change the building world in all markets.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 AM
breakbashfixandrepeat

I wonder how much one of those 3d printers cost cause the precision on the machine they are using is real good. Probably using one of the high end machines fortus or something.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Small ones, with a work area of about a foot cube, are relatively inexpensive. One large enough to do a 2m sailplane would be pretty pricey. I would be very surprised if he could produce a quality 2m sailplane with one, and that he would be able to do it at a cost even close to hand built in Asia.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:56 AM
breakbashfixandrepeat

True hopefully though it results in a quality product. As long as it holds up and is competitive in price then they will have something going for them selves. I know one of the biggest hurdles that they overcome is that there would be no shipping to get the planes here. Especially when container shipments can cost 1500 - 2000+ in money.

Only time will tell when the release the video and pics if they are truly on to something.