Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Looking for canopys and cowls

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Looking for canopys and cowls

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Lonewolf9757
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for canopys and cowls

Hello,

Where can i find canopys and cowls for scratch built planes ? i have built several planes but i always wind up making open cockpits... I want to build a mustang and corsair (90" span or so), but i think they would look really funny with open cockpits...
Can anyone tell me where to find this stuff ?

Thanks,
Tim
[email protected]
Old 09-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Rodrigo C

Default RE: Looking for canopys and cowls

Lonewolf:

I think you will on;y be able to find cowl for scratch built plane only if you are building a plane that is already built by some manufacturer and the dimentions are the same.
Other than that, I believe you will have to make your own cowls or pay someone to make them for you.

Good luck
Old 09-09-2003, 09:29 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lone:

Tower Hobbies has nearly a half page of canopy listings. If you don't have the catalogue you can call, they'll halp you. And do please, have the needed dimensions handy when you call.

Bill.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:09 PM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for fiberglass cowls for some plans and kits try fiberglass speciallties.On a seperate note does any one know what happened to fiberglass master?They had alot of cowls available for alot of different plans.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:30 PM
us1hydro
My Feedback: (23)

Have you considered making your own? If you can buy them thats great - and a lot easier than making your own, BUT if you can't find what you need you CAN do it yourself. Making a vacuum forming machine isn't that tough - certainly well within the ability of anyone that can scratch build a plane. You can do canopies etc with a simple home made vacuum forming machine. Moulds for making glass cowls etc isn't that tough either. It's a bit more work and definately easier to buy when available but not beyond the ability of an experienced builder to do it yourself.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:34 PM
Rodrigo C

Anyone happen to know where I can find information or how to make a vaccum forming machine?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2003, 08:30 AM
us1hydro
My Feedback: (23)

There's a guy that lists them on ebay occasionally - pretty easy to make. It's basically a square box vacuum chamber with holes on the top plate and a tube to connect to a vaccum (shop vac works fine) on the side.
You make a male plug for the part(s), set the plug on the top plate (with the holes in it), heat the plastic so it begins to sag around the plug - don't melt it - then aply vaccum & BINGO - you have a canopy!
I had the web address of a place that sells the plastic but lost it. If anybody has a web address for the heat form plastic PLEASE let me know!