Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Fictional Late 1940's bomber

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Fictional Late 1940's bomber

Old 10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
DeferredDefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fictional Late 1940's bomber

I've posted a few pictures of a fictional aircraft I'm doodling for fun using Google Sketchup 8.0.
This design is obviously not exactly "balsa friendly", but it would be a fun project for sheeted foam and some cheap electrics. The aircraft has six seven row (!) radials based roughly on the Wright Cyclone series, a full B-36 style greenhouse fishbowl and forward glazing, and will have a full array of defensive armament when it is finished. As you can see, I threw common sense through a woodchipper and instead decided to create the most outragously enormous late 1940's Cold War atomic bomber. Needless to say, the structural insanity of the twin booms is quite dubious at this size, but I figured it looked cool. Isn't that how most aircraft were designed during the Cold War, anyways?

I doubt that I'll pesonally ever build this, but I figured someone might get a kick out of it.

Graeme

[edit: renderings just won't upload. Server error. Lemme try again?]

Sorry for the large photo sizes! Main photo uploader doesn't work...

Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 PM
tdstaf
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fictional Late 1940's bomber

Interesting concept. I like It!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 PM
mac49
My Feedback: (5)

Howard Hughs would have loved it but it might not have been big enough.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Build it anyway. Give em something to talk about. Electric, no doubt!
Edwin
Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 PM
DeferredDefect

Maybe I will build it then - 6 wankles, maybe? 
Old 10-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah! That'll be easy to do.
Edwin
Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You did ALL THAT in Sketchup ! ? ! ? ! ?

I have to say that I'm incredably impressed! I've only doodled around with Sketchup for a couple of simple drawings and found it actually quite frustrating to use. But then it's like any CAD package and spending the time to jump through the hoops counts for a LOT! So I likely wasn't tenacious enough.

From a design standpoint the fuel cells needed on a bomber doodle of this sort are about 1/2 to 1/3 what they should be to cover the sort of range needed for a post WWII "atomic age" bomber. And the tail booms are simply not big enough to be period correct. Look at the booms used on the Fairchild Packet cargo plane for a more realistic view of what twin tail booms on a "full size" craft of this sort and size should be.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:43 PM
DeferredDefect

Thanks for the tips! - as it is only a work in progress, I will make some changes to those booms and tanks. I could argue that the smaller tanks are because this is only the Cessna 152 of bomber command, and would spend most of its time in the circuit - the REAL bomber would be much bigger of course! 

Sketchup is still a learning process for me - once you understand the basics, you can come up with really complex components quick quickly. Ribs and such can be cut and pasted, so a wing section might only take a few minutes to complete. What has been the biggest challenge for me is finding the most efficient methods of creating components, especially when it comes to compound curves, fillets, etc.