Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scratch building scale jets

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:57 AM
fredo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch building scale jets

Hi, is there such a thing these days, like scratch building jets? I mean using turbines. Or is it just not worth doing? If there are any plans can somebody direct me. I'm thinking something like F 86 Sabre or Mig 15. Thanks
Old 12-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Heliman4213
My Feedback: (1)

I fly turbines also but ARFs are have takin over everything. They are great for time savings but you can still build a turbine. I have built many in the past but not for a long time. You can find plans you will have to do a little researchthough.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:33 PM
fredo

I know, years ago when ducted fans were popular and nothing else was around, there were plenty of plans and build up kits. Ok, those times are gone. We have turbines now and composite Air frames with high tech computerized control systems. Despite all this, I still believe there are individuals who take pride of their own build. Don't get me guys wrong, I don't mind nowadays trend at all. It's a clean, quick build and as mentioned above, it saves a lot of time. Me personally, I like to have a bit of both worlds. Having something I can fly any day but in my workshop there's almost always some scratch build project going on. Jets were always on my list but I'm new to it. Never know, I might end up buying arf but I like the challenge. And I also know, I don't have to spend ridiculous amount of money for my first jet.
I can build the airframe cheap and all I would need, is to invest in good reliable gear. I hope it makes sense for some.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have one which is about 6 years old & am building a second (it was actually supposed
to be the first but I built a non-scale model as it was taking too long to complete).

I don't think I'd ever build another scale jet again but perhaps some simpler sports models.

In the end I don't think there's a great monetary saving, the cost is just spread over a longer
(much longer!) period. What you do have is control over the quality, lots of the ARF stuff is
rubbish, particularly the cheap stuff.

In my opinion you scratch build it's because you want to, not to save dollars.

I noticed you used the words 'cheap' & 'jets' in the same paragraph, many have found the
two words are not compatible. - John.

Last edited by Boomerang1; 12-09-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:51 PM
fredo

OK, that seems to kill the idea about building jet from scratch. I think it's a different ball park in comparison to petrol prop driven airframes when it comes to building. On a different note, I'm looking for a smaller scale jet, about 60" wingspan. I was looking at BVM but they seem quite expensive for their size. Is there someone in Australia making or importing something like that?
Old 12-10-2013, 05:45 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Im scratch building my own F14.... Cheaper it is not.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:29 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've started one of these...

... an Su-9. It's in the 'plans' stage. Blue foam plug started.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:49 AM
fredo

Very impressive. Good to see something different. What size are you planning to build?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:53 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's 'smallish' at 1/8 scale. Span 42" (1067mm), length 85.5" (2172mm), fuse diameter behind canopy 191mm and its max dia of 204mm at stab. Inlet dia. 107. Outlet dia. 151mm.

A 1/6 scale model would have a 114" length!