Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Profile engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 03:51 AM
jp1961

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Profile engine mount

I'm making a profile plane that will have a 25cc converted Homelite engine. The fuselage will be a
sandwich of 5/32" plywood to 15/16" extruded polystyrene foam. I'm thinking of mounting the engine to the fuselage with 1.5" x 1/8" aluminum angle using 3 bolts (will also support the landing gear). The 1 1/8" dowels will be epoxied in between the plywood to support the engine. Will this be strong enough?

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44782.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1834488  
Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Profile engine mount

If that engine is a vibrator I would double up on the ply at the nose to about 1/3 of the wing. From the canopy back it could be cut at an angle from the canopy to the wing saddle to save a bit of weight and help prevent stress risers. The dowels for the engine mount is a very good idea and an absolute must. Looks good so far. As a second thought you might consider solid wood all the way through in the engine area. Maybe somebody else will pipe in with better ideas than me.

Ken
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 AM
jp1961

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Profile engine mount

I may add fiberglass cloth between the foam and plywood (just in the engine area). I could always add glass to the outside surface of the plywood as well.

Jeff