Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hot Hots Plans Build Thread

Building season is upon us where I live and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a new Hots build thread. I know there have been several done but everybody does it a little different. I destroyed a Hots I had last year due to a radio issue at the time which has long been resolved. I have built several of these little Hots over the years and wanted to replace mine as they are quite fun to fly. I plan to build two at the same time, one for myself and one for a friend and I will take lots of pics during the process. Also, I hope that others who may be planning on or in the process of building one of these will join in on the thread with their builds. I will start with pictures of the plans and go thoughout the entire process for two planes at the same time.

Should I procede?

Thanks,
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hot Hots Plans Build Thread

YES! You'll love the Hot Hots. I built it right after it came out in the RCM January issue years ago. Still have the plans too. I'm just starting my Super Decathlon build, so I may or may not keep a build of a Hot Hots going along with yours. I do have an OS. 55AX with nothing to do...hmmmmmm.
    Some Preachers play Golf, I would rather FLY RC!
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #74
    Hellcat Brotherhood #18
    NECPO #75 (North East Classic Pattern Organization)
    Vintage R/C Society #1016

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, do the build thread.

Though for clarification which Hots are you doing? The Hots or Hots Hot.

I have the plans for The Hots, Hots Hot, Super Hots, Super Hots Bipe and the Big Hots I'd like to build some day lol I just have to many other started projects I need to finsh first.

Matthew

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay Guys,

Thanks, and I hope others post their Hots builds too if they have one going.
    I'll start with a couple preliminary pics of the building board, plans and instructions. The building board is nothing more than a couple of 2' X 4' ceiling tiles that I have taped together. The tape acts as a huinge so that I can fold it for storage when not in use. It also, helps keep a smooth seam where the tiles are joined. I have them taped due the fact that I sometimes build wings larger than 48 inches and also have plenty of length for lengthy fuses when needed. The two plans pictures are self explanatory. I posted them so you could see the designer's name and the specs. Matthew, the plans picture should address your question about which Hots we are building. I also, have both the Hots Bipe, Ultra Hots and the Big Hots plans and hope to build one of them next winter... Hopefully... probably the Big Hots.

Keep in mind guys that I'm building two at the same time in addition, I travel a lot in my job so you may see some gaps in my postings when I'm out of town or performing duplicate task on the second wing, fuse, etc.

Edited some spelling
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh14988.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	1834369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85175.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	1834370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw58839.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	1834371  
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Normally, the first thing I do when I get a new set of plans prior to building, is to get some carbon paper and card stock sheets at Office Depot or some other office supply house. The carbon paper is 8 X 11 sheets so I tile it on top of the card stock which is about 20 inches X 32 inches or similar. Then lay the plans over that and trace with a pointed dowel rod. Be careful not to sharpen the dowel too much or you'll cut you plans. if you don't mind the extra ink just trace over your plans with a ball point pen. then cut the tracings out of the card stock for templates. Save the templates after your model is built for use time after time if you are like me and break a model from time to time. Also, the carbon last for years unless your building a new model every week. Anyway, I save both for repeated use. You may have noticed my plans of this particular model has yellowed somewhat. I've had them since 2002 or close to it and have built several planes from it over the years. I like the Hots and tend to experiment with it and try to learn new manuvers, thus I crash them from time to time. You won't see any pics of me cutting out the templates as I have done this years ago.

Name:	Lj21696.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	1834377  
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since I'm building two at the same time you'll notice two of each component, except the wing ribs which are two stacks of fifteen each. Actually only fourteen ribs are needed for the build but, I throw an extra piece of balsa in the stack and have an extra just incase I break a rib during the building process from being clumsy. I lay the templates that were created by tracing over the carbon paper and cutting out the card stock onto the balsa or plywood as needed and trace around the outside of the pattern on to the wood with a pencil.

Name:	Nl29681.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	1834378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm38173.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	1834379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pv52979.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	1834380  
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have some more pictures to post that I failed to get on last night.

The 1st pic is cutting out a stack of 15 ribs with my band saw. I used to do it with a scroll but the band is faster. If you don't have power tools, don't worry, the very first Hots I built was done with axto knife, a razor saw and various grits of sand paper glued to a 1" X 2" X 12" pine board. Work was a little slower but the quality was just as good and really not that difficult. I cut all the parts slightly over size so that I can fit by sanding. I use a T-bar sander from Tower Hobbies to clean up ribs and other soft woods and small parts.

The 2nd pic is showing how I checked the ribs to make sure they were in alignment after I sanded them with the T-Bar.

The 3rd pic is two stacks of ribs to build two Hots wings.

Pic number 4 is two fire walls and two wing bolt down plates. Even though the plans call for AC grade ply on the firewall, I have found 1/4 " lite ply to be more than adequate. This little plane is heavy for it's size and weight should always be on your mind. Also note: every Hots I have built has been fairly tail heavy with the exception of one that I stick built a couple years ago.

Picture number 5 shows me doing a little pose here demonstrating some clean up of some of the internal fuse parts to get the correct size and knock off any rough edges aquired during cutting.

Name:	Tr49051.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	1834605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez81774.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	1834606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di99253.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	230.0 KB 
ID:	1834607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pj18960.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	1834608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	It98192.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	1834609  

Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The first three pictures are of all the parts cut and laid out to build two Hot Hots. The last picture is where I realized I didn't have the right size balsa for the trailing edge of the wing. As a result I grabbed up a 3/8 " X 4" X 48" balsa plank and used a balsa stripper to cut my own stick. Had to finish with very little plaining and a little clean up sanding. No big deal, it took about fifteen minutes.

Name:	Tq48637.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	1834620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa87018.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	1834621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va70844.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	1834622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr46638.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	1834623  
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice progress for one day.

Thats an interesting balsa stripper you have. I've not seen one like it before.

The side sheeting for the upper half of the fuse, does the plan outline fit correctly or did you have to modify your template a bit?

Matthew

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They are slightly oversize so you can sand to fit. This plane builds a little tail heavy so I plan to cut holes in the fuse sides much the same way that many arfs are done to try to shed some of the weight behind the wing. Also, instead of useing the 1/16 balsa skins on the tail surfaces and aileron surfaces, I'll be using 1/4 X 3/8" stick build with no skins. This will help control weight while keeping the 3/8 inch thick stabs and control surfaces. I actually have been working on this plane for four nights now but only posted pictures in the order that I have for smooth commentary flow and to give people a chance to respond before the next step. When I post tonight, I'll be caught up with the amount of work that has been performed, so the pictures may slow down a little.

I think I ordered the stripper a few years ago out of a Model Aviation Mag but not positive. I'll take a better pic of it and another stripper that I use and post them later tonight. I have used the large stripper very few times, only when I have to cut a 1/4 inch or larger balsa stick. I normally use a smaller one on 1/16, 3/32, and 1/8 inch sizes.
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

********Knight,

The first picture is of the two balsa strippers and planers I use. I haven't found where I might have purchased the large one, my wife thinks she may have bought for me at micromark but I'm not sure. I will research some of my old magazines and try to locate the source if your interested.

The 2nd picture is where I decided not to hollow out the ribs. I have done this on past Hots but weight savings was so minimal I decided not to cut them out on this one. as you can see the rib as a whole on weighs .1 oz.

The 3rd picture is where I covered my plans. At one time I used wax paper but it seems the wax is much thinner than it used to be. A more experienced builder on RCU suggested baking parchment paper from the grocery store as it has more wax and is more robust. I tried it a few years ago and haven't looked back.

Name:	Mk25025.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	1834862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs58888.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	1834863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di99064.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	1834864  
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wing construction at various stages.

Name:	Fd91117.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	1834877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx75294.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	1834878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In28141.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	1834879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ke91527.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	1834880  
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is where it can get tricky if you skip a step or don't examin the plans close prior to gluing the ribs. (Picture 1) I took the center two ribs which end up being glued together, (I used CA) but, some people use Tite bond, "which is perfectly okay", here in case they need additional sanding. these two ribs must be cut 1/8 inch shorter than the rest at the leading edge. The reason is to make room for the Aircraft grade 1/8 inch ply that will anchor the wing hold down dowels. I do this before gluing the ribs to the spar. It can be done after by sanding but is a little more difficult and you run the risk of breaking a rib if your not careful.

Pictures 2 through 5 show the plate, the dowels that are anchored, the plate that will be in the fuse that the wing will slip into.

Picture 6 shows the plate as it looks with the leading edge attached to the front of the ribs. I should have poked the dowels in the leading edge on this pic so you would see them sticking out but, forgot to. You'll see them on future pictures.

Name:	Rp42804.jpg 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	1834898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq52765.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	1834899   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx60494.jpg 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	1834900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nh11181.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	1834901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Al72382.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	1834902  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iy35935.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	1834903  
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 1st picture is showing one of the razor planes and the process of planeing some wood off the LE.

The 2nd picture is showing the top of the LE as it is being rounded. It is not finished as I still need to do more on the top then flip the wing over and plane and sand the bottom to get a rounded LE.

The last pic is where I rolled a tube out of brown paper and glued it into the wing to act as a servo wire conduit.

I'm thinking of putting in 1 degree of washout and would like know what some of you think. I have built these planes with zero washout and although they fly great have had a tendency to tip stall to the left at very slow flight, (slower than intended flight I might add). The last one I did I put two degrees in it and feel it was definitely too much although it flew okay. One degeree of washout out would mean spacing the wing tips at the trailing edge up 1/8 of an inch to get the one degree on the chord.

Name:	Hf97747.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	1834907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx76316.jpg 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	1834908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ze85513.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	230.0 KB 
ID:	1834909  
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The photos and comments that I have posted are now current with where my status in the build is at this moment. I may not get to work on it much tomorrow as I plan to take my mother out for lunch and do a little visiting with her.

I realize that you veteran builders may get a little bored with some of this as much of it is basic building. Sometimes it is interesting to see how other people do certain task. Even old dogs like me can learn new tricks every now and then. Also, I don't always do things the best way and if you have a comment, please post them, it is a good way for me to learn new tactics. In addition, I know that there may be some people that are new to building that may find this helpful. I hope some Arfers, (and by the way nothing wrong with arfs, I have a couple myself), may look at this and realize that building is not as bad as they fear and can be educational and fun. (Speaking to Arf flyers), When you have enough Arfs to fly without interuption if you lose one. Things may slow down a little that you want to try kits or plans building. It will cause you to think in ways that you don't normally consider if you haven't built from plans or a kit.

Thanks for visiting this thread,
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your build thread is great - don't worry about us veteran builders getting bored! I stared at that RCM cover for hours as I built my first Hot Hots. This thread is bringing back memories as well as reminding me of the steps of building this odd shaped fuselage.
    what power plant is going in this?
    Hellcat Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Love the HOTS, it's an aeroplane i will never be without. I did a buil thread back in 2010 but there was little interest which supprised me as it's an american design on what's essentually an american forum.

Heres a link to that thread, you might find of interest - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96..._1/key_/tm.htm

I'll be following your build with interest, i think we can all learn something from each other no matter how experienced we are.

Take it easy
                     john

The balsa stripper shown seems to be the SLEC one that is sold in England http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/Building-Aids.html An excellent gadget. The channel section is 39 inches long so I am not sure if they would export them but it might be practical to buy one together with one of their kits or buy several at once for your friends. If you do buy get some spare blades in case you cannot get them locally, although I am still using the same blade after many years. The SLEC rubber band clamps are great too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The balsa stripper with the 39in. channel is a Sltec that was carried by Hobby-Lobby. I went down to my shop and dug out the paperwork for mine. My stripper is about 25 years old and it is still listed by Hobby-Lobby as "HLH 625" http://www.hobby-lobby.com/balsa_stripper_2482_prd1.htm
    I have only used mine a few times, but they sure make a job easier.

Mike
    \"One-Piece Landings are a Bonus\"
    http://www.bsgflyers.org/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MikeM99, Thanks for the info on the Balsa Stripper! I just ordered one and spare blades. I've been using a cheap balsa strip tool for years and the blade holder is worn out.

Willy, I got out my plans for the Hot Hots, OH MAN... I wonder if I have focus enough to build two planes at once? (This and the Super Decathlon)
    I'll keep watching your progress, and remembering my enjoyment from previous Hot Hots days.
    Have you decided on the engine?
    Hellcat Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Red_jeepster,

My buddy and I both bought magnum XLS 46s from Hobbypeople.net. They recently had a sale on them. I have run magnum for years and really like the power they generate for their size. However, I'm thinking about saving my Magnum for another project I'm thinking about down the road and useing a Tower Hobbies 46 that I took off the Carnage of my previous Hots. It looks and feels okay so I may just put it on this one and save my Magnum for a rainy day. BTW: red, I got some lead to balance my Super Decath, probly break away for an hour and finish the balance on ot next weekend. Actually, I need to correct that statement, I had installed the TH and removed it almost immediately to try out an OS 55 when I built a cowl for it. The 55 was the engine on it when it crashed. The TH was better.

Mikem and KDC,

You are correct in that the stripper is a Slec. Even though I don't remember where it came from for sure, it must have been Hobby Lobby as there is a store about 20 miles from where I live. I'm still useing my original blade however, I need to get a spare. I thought you had to go to a medical supply store to get it as it is a surgical blade but after reading the post where red_jeepster bought his and a spare blade I'm going to run by Hobby Lobby and see if they have them.

I didn't get to work on the Hots last night as I had a pretty full day by the time I got home and fed the horses. Not sure about today either as the family may have some festivities planned for my BD. Hopefully, I'll get out to the shop later tonight and tinker with them a little. However, I'm off all day tomorrow and plan to work on the Hots.

John,

I scanned your thread that you linked me to. I like what you did and am going to go back and read it in it's entirety.

Referring to one of my previous post, any of you guys have any opinions on whether or not I should put a little washout on the Hots Wings?

Thanks,
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill, if it was me i would leave the wing as is. The ailerons seem to work past the stall, so i'm not sure if there would be much benifit to adding washout.

Thank you for the kind words on my own hots thread.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good enough John, that's the way I'll do it. Actually, I always set up three rates anyway with the highest rate being barn door throws.

Thanks,
    Bill

The correct name is SLEC which stands for Sun Lane Engineering Company. They are one of the very best manufacturers of modelling items in England with a large range of really useful gadgets and model fittings at reasonable prices. I think someone imports them into USA and maybe sells them under their own brand. They also sell kits in Britain which were branded as Precedent and also Balsacraft. Not many of these kits are still available but they have recently brought back the Limbo Dancer, Funfly and T240 due to popular demand.
    The blades used are marked Swann Morton who are the leading British maker of scalpels etc, they have an agent in Cinncinati. I think its this blade http://www.craftknives.co.uk/products/supatool.html Its V on this USA site http://www.cincinnatisurgical.com/li...s&item=crblade
    Also for normal model work check out Swann Morton's retractable scalpel called Retractaway which is superb, holds the blade very firmly ( no wobbling around ), quite cheap at about 3 pounds here in England ( 7 dollars in USA it seems ) and uses standard medical blades which are easily obtainable. http://www.cincinnatisurgical.com/li...&item=crhandle

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kdc

The correct name is SLEC which stands for Sun Lane Engineering Company. They are one of the very best manufacturers of modelling items in England with a large range of really useful gadgets and model fittings at reasonable prices. I think someone imports them into USA and maybe sells them under their own brand. They also sell kits in Britain which were branded as Precedent and also Balsacraft. Not many of these kits are still available but they have recently brought back the Limbo Dancer, Funfly and T240 due to popular demand.
    Was it not SLEC that manufactured the 40 size hots kit in the UK in the 1980's ?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast