Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    We move on and hope for the best but prepare for the worse.
    Top Flite Brotherhood # 1
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Ryan STA/STM/SC-M/W Brotherhood # 27
    SIG Kadet Brotherhood # 89
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    My bench where you always find the weird and unusual!
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler View Post
    Looking to the positive, for now they are a closed door. This problem has given opportunity for others to pick up the slack. Some RCM plans are available on the various free download sites. What isn't available can be met with similar designs from other plans. Best I like is the wealth of UK and other nations outside the US plans. There are a lot of very appealing similar designs such as Veron, Aeromodeler, Frog, OK Models Pilot, you-name-it, etc.

Yes, it is a shame, but what can we do? Look as we pass by the wreck and keep moving forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
    We move on and hope for the best but prepare for the worse.
    You are right about sources George.

If any one were to to to pick this up (should the opportunity present it' self) There is like to be a heck of a mess and a good deal of lost altogether plans.

Oh well move on and either get plans from some one else or the other locations or just come up with something else

I don't have a lot of plans but maybe I should do an inventory. I know I will not build all that I have.

Ken
    \"As for Me and My House, We Will Serve the Lord\"
    Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well guys, looks like an epic era of the hobby has finally come to a sad and tragic end. As reported above the domain name was not renewed by the owners of the website and that passed last week. While people were able to still navigate to the site that was because of how internet servers work and dns names are usually cached in servers, allowing you to get a server even after the name is now longer valid. If you go to the site you you will now pull up to what those of us in IT work call domain squatters. These are people that scoop up domains that expire like this hoping to resell them to the owners at a hiked up price, or to somebody else that is wanting to steal the domain.

Regardless of what has happened. The upside is that nobody will ever be burned by those at RCM because they now have no website to take in money and not fulfill orders.

The really huge downside is the huge treasure trove of plans that now seem to be lost and gone, and my now be lost forever. That pits a huge lump in my stomach to even think that. I would hat to think that we may never see those plans again. I know that when RCM magazine stopped being printed I called and offered to buy the plans service in order to make sure that it was also available to modelers. I know the AMA and Model Airplanes News has also made similar offers. So it's really a tragedy that could have been avoided if they would have taken one of our offers and sold the plans service to one of us.

If in the off chance that anybody from RCM plans service is reading this message (or somebody out there can possible get them a message) I will restate my original offer, I am still interested in purchasing the plans service. The plans of RCM are not just a historic gem from the hobby, but they are also a great source that can be used to bring new plane, both kits and ARF's, to our hobby and the plans need to be maintained by somebody that has a vested interested in seeing that the hobby benefits from those plans. I would like to think that I am that person. So please contact me by PM here, or you can email me , ken@rcuniverse.com

Ken
    The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    ... and as another sad sidenote, I heard a few days ago that Flying Models Magazine and Carstens Publications, as a whole, have closed their doors. No more FM for anyone who was reading it!

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by RCKen View Post
    Well guys, looks like an epic era of the hobby has finally come to a sad and tragic end. As reported above the domain name was not renewed by the owners of the website and that passed last week. While people were able to still navigate to the site that was because of how internet servers work and dns names are usually cached in servers, allowing you to get a server even after the name is now longer valid. If you go to the site you you will now pull up to what those of us in IT work call domain squatters. These are people that scoop up domains that expire like this hoping to resell them to the owners at a hiked up price, or to somebody else that is wanting to steal the domain.
    I just went to their plans site http://www.rcmplans.com, the following page came up (print screen capture):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2014-08-24 17:01:02.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	2025427

It states,
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmplans.com
    rcmplans.com expired on 08/16/2014 and is pending renewal or deletion.
    Quote Originally Posted by RCKen View Post
    Regardless of what has happened. The upside is that nobody will ever be burned by those at RCM because they now have no website to take in money and not fulfill orders.
    Unfortunately, it rings of a hollow victory, as I agree with your next statement.

The really huge downside is the huge treasure trove of plans that now seem to be lost and gone, and my now be lost forever. That pits a huge lump in my stomach to even think that. I would hat to think that we may never see those plans again. I know that when RCM magazine stopped being printed I called and offered to buy the plans service in order to make sure that it was also available to modelers. I know the AMA and Model Airplanes News has also made similar offers. So it's really a tragedy that could have been avoided if they would have taken one of our offers and sold the plans service to one of us.
    Whoever is the owner of RCM Plans has been unresponsive thus far. Did they lose their offices for non-payment of lease? Reproduction equipment repossessed? Could those plans have wound up in the trash by the owner of the building? I'm purely speculating.

If in the off chance that anybody from RCM plans service is reading this message (or somebody out there can possible get them a message) I will restate my original offer, I am still interested in purchasing the plans service. The plans of RCM are not just a historic gem from the hobby, but they are also a great source that can be used to bring new plane, both kits and ARF's, to our hobby and the plans need to be maintained by somebody that has a vested interested in seeing that the hobby benefits from those plans. I would like to think that I am that person. So please contact me by PM here, or you can email me, ken@rcuniverse.com Ken
    Ken, that would be great if you or one of the other entities could purchase the plans service. I sometimes wonder if their plans assets would be auctioned off by whomever (again speculating). Yes, sadly thus far it is an end of an era of a once well respected plans house that provided plans at reasonable cost and efficiency.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Awhile back I suggested, or posed the idea anyway, that we should pool our resources of RCM Plans by means of a directory. Thereby making available at least as many as possible from our own collections.
    I have a local office supply store copy my plans into full size .pdf so I can save them for later. They usually don't charge me for that.
    May I suggest again that we do such a thing? I don't know about making web pages, or the like, but I know that once we get it moving there are many of us who would be willing to provide plans.
    I'll go catalog what I have from RCM and post a list very soon.
    Some Preachers play Golf, I would rather FLY RC!
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #74
    Hellcat Brotherhood #18
    NECPO #75 (North East Classic Pattern Organization)
    Vintage R/C Society #1016

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I found another possible phone number for RCM Plans if anyone wants to give it a try. (570)708-8786

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    THEIR BACK!

That's right folk's the RCM Plans site is back up once again. It seems that their security certificate has expired, so you get a security warning page. But, if you click the ignore link, you go right back to the same old RCM Plans site, we all know, and love (NOT).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    But without that Security link protection, is there any danger of picking up something that you don't want in your PC???

Just curious....

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    They're really going to have to convince me, in order for my business to go to them any time soon.
    Some Preachers play Golf, I would rather FLY RC!
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #74
    Hellcat Brotherhood #18
    NECPO #75 (North East Classic Pattern Organization)
    Vintage R/C Society #1016

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Problem is, I would expect a legitimate site to have an explanation for the outage, lack of responses, under new management, here's our staff, etc. Lend a feeling that you are dealing with real people. In this case, there is no other sign of life, not even a renewed security certificate or revised web page, etc. Thus, I find it difficult in light of the previous recent history to even entertain an order from them.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Barnes View Post
    THEIR BACK!

That's right folk's the RCM Plans site is back up once again. It seems that their security certificate has expired, so you get a security warning page. But, if you click the ignore link, you go right back to the same old RCM Plans site, we all know, and love (NOT).
    And if you notice, the prices are higher!

Whoever is behind the wheel has figured out there is no repercussion for stealing at 20-30-40$ a pop and are going to squeeze the fruit for all its worth. The lack of a security cert. will scare people off but those determined to give their money away wont be deterred. There are LOTS of folks over seas whose first language is not English that have been ripped off simply because warnings of these people have not reached their country. There are people and websites still pointing and recommending to rcmplans and there are those that still cower in fear of their "copyrights".

I'm afraid that plans resource is gone, gone, gone. I'm convinced that whomever is now in control has no interest other than stealing money and would not be surprised if any of the original mylars still exist much less cared for.

Sad, Sad, Sad.

Mike
    Balsa USA brother #61

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910