Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another Canard Takes flight

I scratched this one from 1978 plans called XC1. The article with the plans leaves alot to be desired. The author gives only detail I could find on the plans, he makes the comment only advance builders should attempt this one. I didnt have a weight. The original techniques he uses are dated, and very heavy. I changed only what was too expensive or too heavy. Aside from that I stuck to the plans. It came out to be 7.5 lbs! Originally this plane was for the Enya .45 but I was doing weight and balance problems and found the nose to be very "light". He didnt even incorporate a fuel tank (he used a balloon). Toward the end of the build I switched to the Rimfire .46 800kv.
    The batteries in the front (2 - 3s 2200) provided much needed weight, but not enough. I will increase the battery capacity by the summer. I only had enough for two flights, I spent the first set doing ground taxi tests. The Rim fire and the Eflite 80 amp esc was plenty of power and the airplane lifted off the runway without effort. I only planned on a two minute flight, I had no information on the Watt useage and didnt want to run out of battery power. The trim was perfect and the plane was on rails. The stalls speed was very low (as one should expect from a canard). Landing was straight froward. The nose gear broke on roll out (used balsa ply). I have built airplanes from kits or scratch for 25 years, and this is my first nose gear aircraft. (my first trainer was 75% built when I bought it from a friend) The XC1 is named Skyfire after my dog Skye. The airplane is fixed and the batteries are charged, I am hoping to take it up next weekend.

Rimfire .46 800kv, 12x6 apc pusher (try 13x6.5 next),eflite 80amp esc, 5 - 3004 futaba servos, Futaba 7c transmitter, 2 - 3s 2200, lots of money, 1year+ 2months build time

Next project, Japanese Shinden (in progress)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx71891.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	1842432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	If10703.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	1842433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb88901.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	1842434  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Another Canard Takes flight

I like the stringer built fuselage. Don't see that much anymore.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The strip balsa planking gives the airplane a larger fuse with less weight. I should have built it in halves and joined them together later. This is the first time building this model. If I am to built another XC1, the top and bottom would be stripped the same way. The hatch can be built to add weight as nesessary. The Shinden is also another late 70's design. I have a letter confirming a second of this type flew in the 1980's. The author of the letter was planning on increasing the size about 50%.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello

I was looking at the shinden plans yesterday, a very interesting plane the plans show 2 1/2 LBS of lead in the nose, that turned me off and got me thinking of moving the wing position.

I will be checking to see how you handle this ............. good luck to ya!

DONNY
    DONNY

nosen 310 # 17

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

why, just use electric batteries for weight. Moving the wing ruins the scale look of the plane. Finally the CG is forward of the wing, seeing that the trailing edge of the wing is at the firewall your only going to move it forward. The other option is extending the nose. The trick in balancing this aircraft is making everything aft of the cg light as possible. The nose landing gear can only handle so much weight and previous attempts to construct a canard shows that the built in spring really will unspring around 3 lbs. The build I have now, the upper nose at f3-f5 are cut and a floor is installed for the batteries. A hatch of necessary weight will be constructed. The nose gear firewall has been upgraded to 1/4" ply wood. Servos, hs82mg will be installed externally below the fore wing for simplified controls (plus I can move the split elevator with the ailerons for lower speed maneuvering). The original Shinden was a foam wing, balsa with fiberglass covering. I used balsa ribs sheeted with 1/16" balsa and covered with monokote. The wing (without ailerons or vertical stabs) is about 3 lbs. Retracts were also omitted to save weight. Always count on adding weight to the nose, I'm just counting on adding less than called for.

Im counting on the Rim fire .46 to power this plane to reduce weight, it weighs less than the nitro motor proposed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi

I have thoughts much the same as you on the design. but am too busy the put them into practice, so I will look in on what you do, it makes a unique bird.

DONNY
    DONNY

nosen 310 # 17

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi glowhead
    I flew Canards for about 8 years and would like to pass on a hint I learned the hard way. I usually landed with the nose held fairly high and all would go very well. However, if the landing went less than perfect, I got into the habit of going to full down elevator as soon as the main gear touched down. With down elevator the nose is held down HARD. On a Canard, the nose is very lightly loaded, and of course, the elevator is on the Canard wing, at the front. On a less than perfect landing the nose may bounce up and immediately stall, with negative effects. I would like to see comments from others.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't have that problem with this build. The plane lands and sticks just fine. I noticed that it was pitch sensitive in the air. Well on set #1 the airplane flew fine, it was balance properly. On set #2, the batteries were lighter and the cg was moved. This didn't seem to affect the landing. My front wing isn't a wing either. It is a 1/4" sheet that has 5.5 degrees on it. When the speed comes off, the deflecting nature of the "wing" ends. This is my first successful go, I am looking for more input from others.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi glowhead
    I flew my Canard for at least one year with no problem. Then one year I made a poor landing with a lot of head wind and some crosswing. The nose hit hard and bounced up at a near 45 degrees and I went to full throttle. I did not have full control and the plane headed in my direction, which was dangerouse for me and others near by. I had sense enough to immediately give it full down elevator and crashed it into the ground befor it got to me. After that I came up with the idea of going to full down elevator after the mains touch, if the landing has had some difficulty. No need for you or others to wait for it to happen to you, because it will. Comments?