Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Making tires?

Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Pelle Gris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Making tires?

Hi there.

I´m working at a 1:3 scale BUSA Super Cub at the moment, which will have some of the typical "Alaska" mods, one of which being tundra tires. I have a pair of 200mm Air Top wheels on order, but today I had a look at the original Dubro Cub wheels. They are made form some sort of foam/rubber, and maybe it would be possible to make some tires myself if I could find out what product is used?
Making a negative plug for forming the tires is no problem, so it´s only a question of finding the right product for casting the tires. The Dubros are solid, but still rather light.

Anyone have a good suggestion?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 AM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Making tires?

I'd consider the idea of a shaped foam rubber core for lightness then coat these cores with some sort of casting rubber and stick the whole thing into a mold to form a neat scale looking skin. That way you get the lightest possible tire that still looks really nice.

Otherwise you'll need to look for someone that can supply foaming rubber. I've only ever seen "foam plastic in a can". I don't know of any similar foam rubber product. It sort of suggests that foaming the rubber is only achievable in an industrial setting.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM
LouisB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Making tires?

Here in South Africa we have certain companies that sell all sort of compounds, e.g. casting epoxy, epoxy, fibreglass cloth, releasing agents, silicone rubber, etc etc. They also sell casting foam and they said it is possible to cast your own wheels for R/C models with it. Since we have one supplier here, I'm sure you have hundreds over in Europe.

Another idea I had was to use o-ring material. Over here we get it from industrial suppliers selling gaskets etc. You get rubber o-ring material in various rubber compounds and grades and they sell it by the metre (or cut-to-length).

Search this Thread