Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sideways mounted srevos

I feel kinda newby asking this but here goes anyhow.
    If I follow the plan and mount my aileron servos sideways in the wing how do I acess the mounting screws? The servo resides between two wing ribs boxed in with an acess cover, it pretty tight and I'm trying to come up with a way to mount it, theres absolutely no way to get at the screws once the servo is in position, ideas? I guess I could screw the servo to the hardwood rails then glue the rails and servo in together.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sideways mounted srevos

Better to ask then screw something up!
    Epoxy to maple or basswood blocks to the access panel and mount the servo to them. Make sure the panel screws to hardwood not balsa. When you remove the panel the servo goes with it and the screws can be easily reached. Top Flite and SIG both use this method in their kits.
    Top Flite Brotherhood # 1
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Ryan STA/STM/SC-M/W Brotherhood # 27
    SIG Kadet Brotherhood # 89
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    My bench where you always find the weird and unusual!
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! sounds like a plan, servos I've done were always verticle with horns exposed.
    Attaching the controls to the horn, cables landed within the pocket between the ribs, may be a challenge though.
    I may have to completely re-do the rod routing, I'll try and get pics tonight so you can better visualize thanks again,
    Scratch building is sooo much fun lolo.
    Ok I think just figured out a solution! Must I also install an access hatch on the bottom of the wing to connect the rods?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk26845.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	1843438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk29465.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	1843439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg92225.jpg 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	1843440  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you are useing 2 servos, I would move them out and eliminate the bell cranks. What plane and kit is this
    Larry K
    Sig Brotherhood # 1 Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 4 WACO Brotherhood #34 Cub Brotherhood 14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Larry is right dump the bell cranks and connect directly with the servos. You will get better control and eleminate a big headache!
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another vote to ditch the bell-cranks. Those in the pic also look to have nyrod too.
    As stated already, move the servos out into the wing and either make a cover plate and attach the servo to the cover :

Or make a plate and mount the servo and plate into the wing and make a cover for the opening:

Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FlyerInOKC

Larry is right dump the bell cranks and connect directly with the servos. You will get better control and eleminate a big headache!
    As the guy's say, a direct connection is the best way to do it.

But a solution to your original question are these -

Name:	Lj22228.jpg 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	1843487  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking at your picture the plans are really yellowed so this is an old kit. Back in the bad old days a servo was $50 to $60 so they used bell cranks because two servos was too expensive. Now days you can buy two higher quality servos for less than the cost of the older not as good servos.
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for all the photos! The plans are showing the belcrank for the flaps, but yes the ailerons also have belcranks as there is only 1 servo for ailerons and 1 for flaps, the plane is a Gull Wing design by Fallandy 80's vintage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: a70eliminator

Thanks for all the photos! The plans are showing the belcrank for the flaps, but yes the ailerons also have belcranks as there is only 1 servo for ailerons and 1 for flaps, the plane is a Gull Wing design by Fallandy 80's vintage.

Now days as cheap as cheap as servos are I have one for each aileron and flap, one for the rudder, elevator, rudder, and throttle. If applicable I will also have servos for retracts, landing lights, and Navigation lights upto 7 channels.
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I do have plenty of servos for this project, I like to build it light as possible but I am thinking about two servos, it's not too late to pull those flex rods although I think for this plane one servo would be fine as it's far from the aerobatic stuntmaster and I'm a novice too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the srevos set up in the wing like all your photos depict, I did use 4 servos 2 aileron and 2 flaps so all the clumsy belcranks are eliminated. i have run into another snag with the flaps, my gold fg series futaba does not have end point adjustments on ch's 6-7, I'm having trouble because for the servo arm to portrude out of the wing slot it has to be quite long which results in double the travel I need, a small servo wheel puts the control way low below the slot? Any work around ideas would be appreciated thanks.

Name:	Pn36902.jpg 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	1845810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn42391.jpg 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	1845811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl20873.jpg 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	1845812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oh14019.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	1845813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yj64003.jpg 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	1845814  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tk76038.jpg 
Size:	266.0 KB 
ID:	1845815  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Longer control horn on the flap.
    The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    --Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy--

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Make an extention that bolts to your servo disc. I'll post this pic to give you an idea.

Name:	Ge94618.jpg 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	1846023  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats a nice trick, although my isssue is just the opposite. I have a old FG gold series 7ch non computer radio, it does has mixing and dual rates, but not on channel 6 or 7 where all you have is a slider that looks exactly like the trims, the travel from full up to full down is way too much as I get full swing of my flaps at about half the travel of the slider even with my longest control horn on the flap.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now days you can buy two higher quality servos for less than the cost of the older not as good servos.
    You can buy an entire 6 channel computer radio for the cost of a single servo from 1970.
    - Supplementary insipid innocuous inane vacuous proclamation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Now days you can buy two higher quality servos for less than the cost of the older not as good servos.
    You can buy an entire 6 channel computer radio for the cost of a single servo from 1970.
    Lol aint that the truth.
    I got it sorted out, just used the smallest drive wheel nd the largest control horn and all it's comfortable now.

Ps I love my fp-t7fg/k transmitter and just can't seem to let go of it, yea there's quite a few thibngs it can't do without human input and i'll probably never get that far adavanced to where i need anything else cheap or not, i'm kinda stuck in 1970.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aileron belcranks came from the days when radio control, and servos were expensive.. I use two aileron servos and mount them to openings I cut int he ribs, then double with 1/8" lite ply. I put holes in adjacent ribs that line up with the mounting screws that I can insert a jewelers screwdriver into. The down side is that you need to cut the covering away to insert the screwdriver if you need to replace a servo, but not that big a deal.
    Cali is a city in Colombia
    I\'\'m from California.