Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Velcro to hold wings on?

I'm thinking of using Velcro to hold the wings on my profile. The wings have a (very) snug fit on the aluminum joiner tube (1.250") and there is a 3/8" dowel to keep them from rotating. Being a gas plane there would be no problems with oil residue. The Velcro would be on the bottom of the wing, strips about 5 or so inches long (positioned from root to tip). The one side would be attached to the fuselage with wood screws. The other side of the Velcro would be epoxied to the wing (I don't trust the peel and apply type). Velcro doesn't vibrate loose and assembly at the field would be a snap. Again, thinking outside the box. Any thoughts, ideas?

Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Velcro to hold wings on?

Go for it !! And send us the pictures of the results .

Frank
    AMA # 5810
    SPA # 651
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Get back in the box
    Larry K
    Sig Brotherhood # 1 Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 4 WACO Brotherhood #34 Cub Brotherhood 14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Take pictures of the debris field before you pick up the pieces.... Somehow, I don't think this is a good idea....

Bob
    Club Saito #61 - Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143 - Kadet Brotherhood #3
    Glowhead Brotherhood #95

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jeff, the velcro has good holding ability in the shear direction. The issue with it is that it gathers all kinds of crud over time and becomes less and less effective.

My concern is that over time, the air flow would tend to peal it off given the lint and crud thatit picks up in use.

Otherwise, it isn't much different than some of the "use once" tape I've seen used to hold glider wings together. Should work. Although a bit heaver than the tape.

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Olympic 650 glider was a 3 piece wing that used pins to plug the outer panels into the center section, then they [IIRC] recommended using electrical tape to seal the slight gap [seam] where the panels meet.
    Actually, I'm not really sure if the instructions called out for taping the seams or not..it's been over 20 years. This was a 2 or 3 pound plane that flew at 25 mph.
    For a big, powerful aerobatic model with a fast roll rate I would be a little bit nervous about the velcro.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Banned
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

" The issue with it is that it gathers all kinds of crud over time and becomes less and less effective. "

Valcro, otherwise known as "hook and loop" material. The "hooks" wear out, tear off, and loose their effectiveness.

Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Someone needs to come up with a better method than rubber bands and nylon screws.  Every time I use the screws and have a bad day, the pins in front of the wing wreck the fuselage former, and rubber bands are just unprofessional. I would check real close before using the velcro.  I always hold the wing firmly and shake it up and down real hard to see if the wing/fuselage pulls up or moves.  (Then add more rubber bands if it does. or in your case abort the idea)
    Glow Head Hood # 7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Check out offerings from 'Iflytailies.com' or similar. They carry Graupner and other wing connectors that work well for BIG sailplanes that fly can faster than most powered airplanes. Otherwise a tab and thru bolt are the best options. My 1/4 DH-5 has scale connectors which consists of two connectors per wing that are bolted to top sides of wings at spar locations.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Back in the last millenium I kind of remember a spring loaded pin that was pushed in from the back I think, and used the locating spring in front like the conventional way.  The spring was kind of like a ball point pen spring.  I can't remember much about it, it was the 70's man. Another more recent one had a slot in the wing so the wing would twist in a light crash.  Couldn't see the picture close enough to figure it out.
    Glow Head Hood # 7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry using Velcro to hold the wings on is a bad idea, stick with something a lot less outside of the box.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For those using the peg or pin in the front former to hold the front of the wing on and then screws in the back: most use much to large a screw, usually 1/4-20's. These are much to large. On most planes, a 6-32 is more than ample. for 1/4 scale go to 8-32 nylons. Also make sure there is no gap between the wing and the point where the screw enters the fuselage. You want it a tight fit so that, if you hit on a wing tip the bolt(s) will shear easily. Having no gap aids in this shearing action. Without it, the bolt tends to bend and it takes much more force to break it if it is in tension which can cause the front pins to tear out the bulkhead they are inserted in.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why not?

Like Don said velcro has lots of strength in shear, I use it all the time to hold batteries in
    with a loop around the battery with plenty of overlap.

Maybe the answer is a seperate, loose velcro strap which loops through the (re enforced) wing
    ribs, through the fuselage, back through the opposite wing with a large overlap on the bottom.

If the velcro gets a bit manky with age just replace it. - John.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A big Gas aerobatic plane with the wings held on with Velcro really sounds a bit iffy to me.
    I use Velcro doubled up to secure my batteries into planes but I personally would never use it for something structural.
    Having dealt with full scale aircraft, I am a bit more conservative than most when it comes to how planes are held together.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some examples.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw the I fly tailies thing before too.  I guess here is the dumb question.  Doesn't that just hold the wing together, not on,   a regular top or bottom fuselage mount?  The Tailies snap thing too?
    Glow Head Hood # 7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmmmmm, I don't see jp1961 anywhere but in the 1st post. You don't suppose that this was a phishing expedition, do you???
    Club Saito #61 - Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143 - Kadet Brotherhood #3
    Glowhead Brotherhood #95