Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Firewall Laminating

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Firewall Laminating

Hi there. I am in process of building a Lazy Bee and am at the firewall stage. I am using 1 piece of 1/32" aircraft plywood and 1 piece of 3/32-1/8" plywood from a pallet. This bird needs the nose weight so am not worried there, but wanted a general opinion on what to use to laminate the two together. I have 5-Minute epoxy from Dollartree and Gorilla Glue Polyurethane glue available to use. Which would be the better choice. If it makes a difference, this will be E-powered. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:45 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Firewall Laminating

I prefer to use aliphatic resin (like Titebond wood glue) for laminations. Spread it evenly across the surface and clamp the surface together with even pressure (a stack of heavy books works well). The glue will soak into the wood, but the excess glue will tend to squeeze out evenly and leave the two surfaces perfectly mated together. Once fully dry, the wood will fail long before the glue line ever does. Just make sure your surfaces are clean, reasonably smooth, and free of any loose fibers before mating.

Thicker glues like epoxy, which work great when you need to fill a void, will work against you in a lamination, since the glue has more body that can prevent the surfaces from lying flat against each other (creating the potential for uneven thickness), and it really will not add any significant strength to the lamination.

The biggest downside to aliphatic resin is that it is not waterproof, so if you are building pontoons (or a boat) be sure to seal the lamination well.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:58 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It's just my opinion but I would not use 5 minute epoxy on anything I fly, it cures way too brittle, a slow curing low viscosity epoxy with proper clamping or vacuum bag pressure is your very best option.

Bob
Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: aymodeler

I prefer to use aliphatic resin (like Titebond wood glue) for laminations. Spread it evenly across the surface and clamp the surface together with even pressure (a stack of heavy books works well). The glue will soak into the wood, but the excess glue will tend to squeeze out evenly and leave the two surfaces perfectly mated together. Once fully dry, the wood will fail long before the glue line ever does. Just make sure your surfaces are clean, reasonably smooth, and free of any loose fibers before mating.

Thicker glues like epoxy, which work great when you need to fill a void, will work against you in a lamination, since the glue has more body that can prevent the surfaces from lying flat against each other (creating the potential for uneven thickness), and it really will not add any significant strength to the lamination.

The biggest downside to aliphatic resin is that it is not waterproof, so if you are building pontoons (or a boat) be sure to seal the lamination well.

I use this method but sprinkle some balsa dust on the glue coated areas. It prevents the parts from sliding around while you clamp the parts together.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are in a hurry, use the epoxy. If you have time and want a bit lighter product, use the GG. I do most of my laminations with GG. I have about eliminated epoxy from my builds to save weight.
Chuck
Old 02-19-2013, 12:08 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gorilla glue. Spritz it with a little it of water before putting the glue on. Clamp it very tightly.
Don't use the instant GG the regular brown stuff is what you want.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: NEW222

Hi there. I am in process of building a Lazy Bee and am at the firewall stage. I am using 1 piece of 1/32" aircraft plywood and 1 piece of 3/32-1/8" plywood from a pallet. This bird needs the nose weight so am not worried there, but wanted a general opinion on what to use to laminate the two together. I have 5-Minute epoxy from Dollartree and Gorilla Glue Polyurethane glue available to use. Which would be the better choice. If it makes a difference, this will be E-powered. Thank you.
Not too sure that I'd use that plywood from the pallet. There isn't any strength in that wood. The density of the wood fibers is just not there. Stick with aircraft grade plywood and not risk the firewall coming apart or splintering after one hard knock.

just my 2 cents...

Old 02-19-2013, 01:34 PM
NEW222

Great. Thanks for the tips. I do have the Gorilla Glue white wood glue as well, but did not think that it would be appropriate for this application. Yes I also have the original Gorilla Glue (honey brown color). Thank you.

As for laminating, I will take a look to see if I have anything else to use. I may have 1/16" as well and will then use 2 of them. Thank you again.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:59 PM
vicman

as long as you run clinch nuts through you will be fine.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 PM
NEW222

Ok. Well I laminated 1 piece of 1/32" and 1 piece of 1/16" together with Gorilla Glue Wood glue (white carpenters type). I will let it dry and add the other piece later before bed and let it sit all night. I was honestly not going to add the second piece until you, Vicman, mentioned clinch-nuts. That is where I forgot about the blind nuts behind the firewall. So I will add the other piece to make up space. Thank you for reminding me.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM
vicman

All about spreading the knowledge
Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: vicman

All about spreading the knowledge
Ditto + Experience....

It's what makes this site so wonderful....