Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Firewall Laminating

Hi there. I am in process of building a Lazy Bee and am at the firewall stage. I am using 1 piece of 1/32" aircraft plywood and 1 piece of 3/32-1/8" plywood from a pallet. This bird needs the nose weight so am not worried there, but wanted a general opinion on what to use to laminate the two together. I have 5-Minute epoxy from Dollartree and Gorilla Glue Polyurethane glue available to use. Which would be the better choice. If it makes a difference, this will be E-powered. Thank you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Firewall Laminating

I prefer to use aliphatic resin (like Titebond wood glue) for laminations. Spread it evenly across the surface and clamp the surface together with even pressure (a stack of heavy books works well). The glue will soak into the wood, but the excess glue will tend to squeeze out evenly and leave the two surfaces perfectly mated together. Once fully dry, the wood will fail long before the glue line ever does. Just make sure your surfaces are clean, reasonably smooth, and free of any loose fibers before mating.

Thicker glues like epoxy, which work great when you need to fill a void, will work against you in a lamination, since the glue has more body that can prevent the surfaces from lying flat against each other (creating the potential for uneven thickness), and it really will not add any significant strength to the lamination.

The biggest downside to aliphatic resin is that it is not waterproof, so if you are building pontoons (or a boat) be sure to seal the lamination well.
    Please check out my RC airplane blog at http://alsrcsite.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's just my opinion but I would not use 5 minute epoxy on anything I fly, it cures way too brittle, a slow curing low viscosity epoxy with proper clamping or vacuum bag pressure is your very best option.

Bob
    Fly It Like You Stole It!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aymodeler

I prefer to use aliphatic resin (like Titebond wood glue) for laminations. Spread it evenly across the surface and clamp the surface together with even pressure (a stack of heavy books works well). The glue will soak into the wood, but the excess glue will tend to squeeze out evenly and leave the two surfaces perfectly mated together. Once fully dry, the wood will fail long before the glue line ever does. Just make sure your surfaces are clean, reasonably smooth, and free of any loose fibers before mating.

Thicker glues like epoxy, which work great when you need to fill a void, will work against you in a lamination, since the glue has more body that can prevent the surfaces from lying flat against each other (creating the potential for uneven thickness), and it really will not add any significant strength to the lamination.

The biggest downside to aliphatic resin is that it is not waterproof, so if you are building pontoons (or a boat) be sure to seal the lamination well.

I use this method but sprinkle some balsa dust on the glue coated areas. It prevents the parts from sliding around while you clamp the parts together.
    He's crazy Lew, he builds toy airplanes!"
    Frank Towns - Flight of the Phoenix (1965)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you are in a hurry, use the epoxy. If you have time and want a bit lighter product, use the GG. I do most of my laminations with GG. I have about eliminated epoxy from my builds to save weight.
    Chuck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gorilla glue. Spritz it with a little it of water before putting the glue on. Clamp it very tightly.
    Don't use the instant GG the regular brown stuff is what you want.
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NEW222

Hi there. I am in process of building a Lazy Bee and am at the firewall stage. I am using 1 piece of 1/32" aircraft plywood and 1 piece of 3/32-1/8" plywood from a pallet. This bird needs the nose weight so am not worried there, but wanted a general opinion on what to use to laminate the two together. I have 5-Minute epoxy from Dollartree and Gorilla Glue Polyurethane glue available to use. Which would be the better choice. If it makes a difference, this will be E-powered. Thank you.
    Not too sure that I'd use that plywood from the pallet. There isn't any strength in that wood. The density of the wood fibers is just not there. Stick with aircraft grade plywood and not risk the firewall coming apart or splintering after one hard knock.

just my 2 cents...

Tim Schuy
    tschuy@comcast.net
    AMA #77316
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great. Thanks for the tips. I do have the Gorilla Glue white wood glue as well, but did not think that it would be appropriate for this application. Yes I also have the original Gorilla Glue (honey brown color). Thank you.

As for laminating, I will take a look to see if I have anything else to use. I may have 1/16" as well and will then use 2 of them. Thank you again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

as long as you run clinch nuts through you will be fine.
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok. Well I laminated 1 piece of 1/32" and 1 piece of 1/16" together with Gorilla Glue Wood glue (white carpenters type). I will let it dry and add the other piece later before bed and let it sit all night. I was honestly not going to add the second piece until you, Vicman, mentioned clinch-nuts. That is where I forgot about the blind nuts behind the firewall. So I will add the other piece to make up space. Thank you for reminding me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All about spreading the knowledge

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vicman

All about spreading the knowledge
    Ditto + Experience....

It's what makes this site so wonderful....

Tim Schuy
    tschuy@comcast.net
    AMA #77316
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #6