Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

laser cutting of balsa wood

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 01:02 AM
steveg_oz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laser cutting of balsa wood

Does anyone have pointers to the kind of equipment used in laser cutting balsa? I'm more interested in home-brew type CAD-CAM X-Y tables with small permanently mounted CO2 lasers.

Any-one know where I can get more information? I'm after plans for the x-y table.

Many thanks,

Steve
Old 09-18-2003, 09:37 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: laser cutting of balsa wood

You know that this will cost several thousand dollars to create?

In Nuts and Volts monthly magazine (based out of Corona Calif.), there was a series on robotics during 2001 on how to build your own CNC table, computer controller, and how to activate and control lasers. This magazine is out there for the electronic hobbyist, but written by professionals. They are on the web, but I never obtain a subscription as a friend gives me his older issues. These guys are sort of on the cheapskate side in everything. They also assume you know something about computer controlled systems and then can grasp what was printed or illustrated and go from there. They list numerous vendors who can supply the parts and plans to create what was presented in last month's issue. The authors also give their location as to where to find stepped motors, computer control cards, correct lasers, etc.

I found one of the small power units at a swapmeet built from plans and for sale at $200 w/o control card. The fellow modified it to run vertically. He had the table mounted on a wall and the laser horizontal. All because of limited space in his garage.

Unless you plan to do this as a business, the costs do not justify the effort. It is much cheaper to haul everything to some place which is already set up and have them do the work. I also see small home-built units on the internet auctions go for about $3000 (US Dollars). I have been looking into computer controlled knife cutters, as new costs for the unit is about 1/4 the cost of a laser and they are legal inside our city limits.

Wm.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:11 AM
TomM

as new costs for the unit is about 1/4 the cost of a laser and they are legal inside our city limits.
Do you mean that laser cutters are NOT legal in your neck of the woods ?!?!?!

Is that a zoning/home business/manufacturing issue, or are all lasers banned?
Old 09-18-2003, 01:47 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve:

There have been a couple or three threads here on RCU giving step by step instructions on building an X-Y CNC table.

Go to "Where to find..."

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Wher...1063414/tm.htm

and there are some good links there, for example:

http://www.crankorgan.com/

Bill.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:54 PM
CoosBayLumber

Tom M;

In a nutshell, that is about correct for me. Since 2000 the city received notice by the state that certain devices had to be run by licensed and trained operators, and that included lasers for medical, cutting devices, and a few other things. I would have to go through state training, place stickers near where they are used, have special glasses available, etc. It only applies to those put into use after 2000.

This is why I have been looking into a knife cutting machine like they use for apparel and leather. These are about 1/4 the cost. Steve maybe ought to look into one of these, as I see several Kiwi based businesses use them already. They run on CAD or propriety language. I also see the flat bed styles on the internet auctions at 1/4 the cost of lasers. Only downside I have seen is that they create fine quality looking die-cut work. This means that they cannot be used for drilling holes or marking part numbers like a laser can, but it still means a hell of a lot of simple parts like ribs or formers and be made.

Wm.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:43 PM
steveg_oz

Thanks for the info and thanks Bill, for the links.

I know that its not feasible for one off use, but we don't have any kit cutters in Australia that do laser cut kits. I also am having difficulty in obtaining kits over here. I've been chasing a TopFlite DC3, but the costs of shipping one-off from the States are prohibitive.

In this age of ARFs, I can see a day when kits become very hard to obtain. As a small retirement business, I was wondering about the feasibility of using CAD plans to drive a small cutter, and to be able to produce short kits at a reasonable price.

That's why I'm interested in home-brewing an X-Y table. I also love learning about new stuff by doing it.

Steve
Old 09-21-2003, 06:04 AM
geesville

hey up, just a quickie, i have just built a cnc router for making kits, i found that i can get very good standards with good cad work, i f you see what i mean, if youwant anything designed/cut please give me a knock and we will ahve a chat about it as the world is your oyster when you have this sort of equipment!
[email protected] or www.rcelectricflight.com.

best regards.

gee.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:11 PM
jerry dotson

here is picture of my homebrew CNC router. Dremel tool with .050 carbide router bit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57625.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	62782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98679.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	62783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67525.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	62784  
Old 09-24-2003, 06:16 AM
specialx

I love the CNC router JerryDotson, very ingenius.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:03 PM
William Robison

Jerry:

Do you have any dimensional problems with moisture affecting the wooden frame?

Otherwise looks great. And easier than a metal frame.

Bill.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:18 PM
steveg_oz

Has anyone found a need for vacuum tables (to remove smoke and stabilize wood) and/or gas blowing for good balsa cutting. I'd like to be able to cut up to 1/4". I'm looking at a 45W laser (about $6000). Any one think I might need more power?

Any problems with power change as the light path lengthens (its a gantry bridge with flying mirrors design)?

Thanks, all

Steve
Old 09-25-2003, 03:27 PM
Rvander
My Feedback: (81)

Hey steveg ?? where can you find a 45w laser for only $6K ?? I have a 25w unit and have been cutting kits for about a year. I can cut up to 1/2 " ply, but I get better results in this area with multiple passes, as you risk edge discoloration on single pass. On all my wood cutting I use a vaccuum table to both hold the parts, and also remove the smoke/residue which helps the cleanliness of the edges. You walk a fine line to determine the proper parameters, between speed, head cooling, and power settings. This is where most of the time in preset is at in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:12 PM
jerry dotson

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Jerry:

Do you have any dimensional problems with moisture affecting the wooden frame?

Otherwise looks great. And easier than a metal frame.

Bill.
William we are almost neighbors,I live in the North end of Okaloosa! For cutting model parts it is accurate. In cutting a circle it will be within .008 of round. Not a milling machine by any means but a lot more accurate than I can saw!! Repeatability is outstanding. The rib in the pic has not been sanded.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66516.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	63704  
Old 09-27-2003, 09:18 PM
CoosBayLumber

This is kind of an old subject, but the below fellow may be able to connect together any missing elements in your search as to parts or plans.

http://www.emissiontechnologies.com/

Wm.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:22 AM
steveg_oz

Thanks, Coosbaylumber,

That one hit the spot. Much appreciated.

Steve
Old 09-29-2003, 09:22 AM
William Robison

JerryDotson:

Looks good.

Might have to get you to do some cutting.

Just checked the club roster, you aren't listed as a member of NFMI.

www.nfmi.org

Why not?

Next meeting Tuesday, October 7th. Call me, Bobby Franks. or Tony Stillman (Radio South) for directions. All listed numbers.

Bill.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:52 PM
steveg_oz

Hey, Coos bay or others

Do you have any feedback on the quality of the laser cutter offerred by Emission Technologies. It seems ideal for what I want, appears to be ideally suited to balsa cutting (vacuum bed and air blowing) and is very affordable.

Has anyone used this machine?

Thanks,

STeve
Old 09-30-2003, 08:03 PM
CoosBayLumber

I really have not done business with the outfit. I was looking for a setup to cut hard birch plywood, and they came up a bit short on wattage. Wanted about 100 watts, and they were offering 70. If all you wanted to cut was balsa, cardboard and light materials, this wattage ought to meet your needs.

In general, as to cost, they are about 1/2 of what similar cutting machines are going for. But then again, you have to assemble, and is not "Ready-to-go". I would think due to your distance, it may be to your advantage to obtain some of the more common items locally, instead of having them shipped.

Wm.