Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Inkscape for .svg Vector Files

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Inkscape for .svg Vector Files

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Inkscape for .svg Vector Files

I've been interested in finding a CAD program that would allow me to create an .eps or .svg file for a laser cutter and have decided to give Inkscape a try. It is open source, free, and so far not too hard to learn. I just sent a file to a local laser cutter to see if I got the parameters right and was wondering if anyone else out there is using Inkscape. If so, let's share our knowledge and give our local laser cutters some business.

What I would like to do is be able to give my laser cutter the balsa and ply materials and an .svg file for each piece. Inkscape allows you to set the size so I can cut parts out of 36 inch long stock if I am understanding all of this correctly.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Laird SS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Inkscape for .svg Vector Files

Make sure the laser doing the cutting can handle 36" long pieces. Mine can only handle 32" pieces.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Inkscape for .svg Vector Files

ORIGINAL: Laird SS

Make sure the laser doing the cutting can handle 36'' long pieces. Mine can only handle 32'' pieces.
That is a good suggestion. The first laser cutter had a rather small table.

Also... still looking for other options to using Inkscape. It has its problems which I have yet to overcome. The laser cutter admitted to a tough learning curve with the tool too but did not have any good alternatives.