Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Super Lazy Ace

Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Super Lazy Ace

I am beginning to start a scratch build of a Super Lazy Ace. Old Chuck Cunningham design. I ordered all of my balsa today from Lonestar balsa. This makes me quite happy that they are up and running again, and wanted to give them my business.
I am looking really hard at installing an MT 70cc twin gas engine for power. I have also decided to change the airfoil to a clark Y as I prefer the more curved section on the bottom of the Leading edge from the stock airfoil. It is also a little thicker section than stock. I know this airfoil will perform better for my application. (this topic has already been thoroughly hashed out in the aerodynamics section).
some of the other changes I am going to make are slide on wings utilizing wing tubes. I want to leave the center section of the top wing attached to the cabane struts to ease field assembly. Also, I am going to turn this into a WW1 2 seater type aircraft. I think this airplane begs to be dressed up into something with a little more character. I will be going after something German with a tail gunner and such.
For covering, I will be using the light weight ceconite or similar full scale fabric to keep the costs down and improve the quality over the film or hobby marketed fabrics.
I am not sure if i will do a full build thread but will post some occasional updates on my progress. once I get all of my parts ready, I want to move rapidly as I would like to have this flying by the end of the summer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50495.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1398470  
Old 03-15-2010, 03:36 AM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Lazy Ace

Great project! I love Chuck's designs. Built his Druine Turbulent and still have it. I will be watching your progress.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
vertical grimmace

Yes, I have not heard anything bad about his aircraft. This will be my first. It should be a fun build.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:14 AM
vertical grimmace

I have just ordered my fabric now as well. I am also motivated to keep this build inexpensive, so i am using a dacron fabric from Aircraft spruce. A 60" x 36" sheet is $3.25. So I ordered 10 yards. I can apply this with Balsarite or dope. Then seal it up with Poly-U or more dope. It is heat shrinkable as well and is actually designed for full scale gliders. I am actually looking forward to using this covering. I will have to get something built first!
I will probably start with the Stabalizer and go from there. It will build quickly. I am mostly making templates for the ribs and such right now. I will get some pics up when I have something interesting to show. My goal is to have this one flying by September.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:36 PM
carlgrover

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You'll love that full scale covering. I just finished covering and painting a giant scale astro hog using the same thing. I used Randolph dope also. That Lazy Ace is going to take quite a bit of lumber, covering, and paint to get completed so using a full scale source for components is a great way to go.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:55 PM
vertical grimmace

I love the way dope performs, but I really want to try and avoid it. I may stick with Poly-u but we shall see. I may end up using dope.
I want to track down some spoked wheels. I have heard baby buggies are a good source. I guess I will troll fleabay.
So far I do not have much money invested. The balsa was just around $120. Lone star has great prices.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:15 PM
vertical grimmace

Well, I got most of the Stab built. I decided to cap strip the ribs to give the covering more support. It will maintain the airfoil better with less sag. This thing is huge, 540 sq. in.! The Stab is bigger than a Q-500 wing.
So I have not recieved my wood yet, (I used stuff I had lying around to build the stab) hopefully Monday. I did get my covering material from aircraft spruce. Wow! I got a lot. I ordered 10 yards X 60' . I should have plenty. It looks very good. Very tight weave and it should be quite easy to work with. I am excited about the fabric and I certainly chose the right product here. I only spent $32.50 for all of that covering!
Sorry for the big picture. Not sure why it did that.

Name:	Yw68745.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	772.0 KB
ID:	1401670  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:39 AM
vertical grimmace

I am still waiting for my wood to show up. It should be Wednesday by the tracking. I did try the fabric as a test and it worked wonderfully. I think I may use Balsarite to adhere it and then Poly -U to seal it off. I want that yellow rustic look. I will do some tests to get the color I want.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:35 PM
vertical grimmace

My balsa showed up today from Lone star. It looks great! It is wonderful to see them up and running again and able to provide such great service.
hopefully I will get a little more progress tonight. i want to finish the stab and then get started on something else. Not sure which. Maybe the Fuselage?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:10 PM
vertical grimmace

I have the Stab finished now and am moving on to working on the wings. Drilling holes to accept tubes and all.
If anyone has experience with this plane, I would like to get a gas engine suggestion. I know the G62 was used on them, but how about any of the newer gas engines?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:35 AM
beepee

The Super Lazy Ace has been powered by a wide variety of engines, big hp differences. It depends very much on what flight profile you plan. The other issue is weight. If you can put off the engine selection until you know how much nose weight you need, you are bound to make the right choice. A G-62 will be on the high side of what Chuck would recommend (by what I remember), but should be an excellent choice.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 04-03-2010, 01:10 PM
vertical grimmace

Well, I have gotten some stuff done. Half of the top wing with removable outer panels on tube. And the Stabalizer. Going together smoothly at this point.

Name:	Qo39613.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	1410886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96138.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	1410887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20116.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	1410888  
Old 05-21-2010, 03:24 PM
bw5493
My Feedback: (36)

Keep the progress reports coming. I liked what I have seen enough to purchase my set of plans from the net. So I should be able to start on mine mid summer!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:22 AM
Red_Jeepster

I love the Lazy Ace! Where can I find the source to order the SUPER Lazy Ace plan?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:49 AM
viggkri

Hi

I am rebuilding one chrased super lazy ace, it been "living" in a barn for the last 20 years, i am almost finished with the balsa work, and some questions turn up.

1 Cg, where is thecorrect position?
2. positionsand meausurments for the wing bridge and N-struts?

Please help me.............

Viggo
Norway
Old 09-14-2010, 03:27 AM
viggkri

Hi

I have maiden the super lazy ace, it has been staying on the ground for 20 years, have 10 flights on it now, and it is a real pleasure to fly.

Viggo
Norway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMKortDwoYE
Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 AM
VOX

Hello,

Who to me can tell – where it is possible to buy drawing Super Lazy Ace?

Albert
Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 AM
viggkri

ORIGINAL: VOX

Hello,

Who to me can tell – where it is possible to buy drawing Super Lazy Ace?

Albert

http://www.kitcutters.com/RCM/RCMScale/RCMLazyAce.htm

Viggo
Old 01-14-2011, 10:19 AM
VOX

Danke!!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:54 PM
northiceman

Lazy Ace is a GREAT flying machine. I built my first one in 1982 and she is still flying. I am about to start the build of the Super Lazy Ace kit that I bought right from ole Chuck himself from Texas in 1995. That kit has the wire gear, all wing ribs, full plans and plywood formers. I am not sure yet if I will build light (monokote cover) or if I will use scale covering and go with a larger gas engine. If I go light - I may put the Saito FG-36 in her. I have flown the 76 in (regular Ace) with a .60 - but for real pleasure it takes a 1.20 ! A lot of nose ballast is required with a .60 on board.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:23 PM
mmlong

What happened to the project? This winter I got my Super Lazy Ace out and started to recover it. I had so many different engines on it that cowl is full of holes. Anybody know where I can get a new cowl? Its being covered in blue and yellow kinda like a Stearman in military colors. Originaly built back in the 80's from Chuck Cunningham plans. This was my first scratch build, so I have some feelings for it.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 PM
viggkri

http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/

Look for sky master industries, nice cowl for just $44

Viggo
Old 12-29-2011, 08:34 AM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Viggo, thanks for the tip, I was looking for a cowl!
-Les-
Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will love that Lazy Ace. I built one many years ago, covered in Ceconite (lightest grade from Spruce Specialties) but use Hobby Poxy paint for finish, turned out great. Powered mine with an old Quadra 35cc.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:56 AM
evarnad

Originally Posted by Rodney
You will love that Lazy Ace. I built one many years ago, covered in Ceconite (lightest grade from Spruce Specialties) but use Hobby Poxy paint for finish, turned out great. Powered mine with an old Quadra 35cc.
Know this is really old but was yours a 96" Super Lazy Ace with the Quadra 35cc, if so do you think a 40cc twin DLE will fly it reasonably well?

Thanks,
Wayne

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.