Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First Laser cut Plane

Hi All New here, have been out of the hobby for many years but still have all my old planes and stuff. Besides planes aremy first love so have been following this site for a while and finally signed in.
    Have been doing laser cut model Railroad structure kits to pay the bills the last few years. A week a go I had a guy ask if I could cut him some plane parts so had to try one. I found my Jemco Corsair fuselage that I had framed up back in the 80's and the former template drawing I did back them so drew up a fuselage but could not find my wing cores so found a copy of Brian Taylor's Corsair drawings on the net and downloaded them for the wing. To top it all off I did it half size for the Jemco so 27 inch span. Have a test cut built part way up and it will never fly as not much Balsa in stock here so used Basswood for the test. Will add Balsa to my next Balsa USA wood order for the next one.
    let me know what you think
    Planes.html
    rich
    rslaserkits

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: First Laser cut Plane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As a first try I'd say it looks not to bad. But if you're looking at a flying model at only 27 inch span you're going to want to reduce the amount of wood drastically. Otherwise it'll only be suitable as a shelf display model. But as a skill gaining project for testing your laser cutting it's fine.

The number of fusealge formers is only suitable if the fuselage were going to be planked with sheet. For a stringer and covering design I'd want to see more formers with less spacing between them.

The wing design you show uses a sub leading edge. That's a nice way to do it on a big model but it adds bulk and weight on a small model. Instead what you want is to lose the full sheeting and go for a film or tissue covering option. Part of this change would be to skip the sub leading edge and just end the ribs at a smaller piece of leading edge stock and use a number of small size turbulator spars along with the same number of ribs you show for the rest. The tubulators aids in limiting the sag in the covering at a low weight penalty. And since it would be film/tissue/fabric covered add a regular trailing edge.

As long as the rest was being done the tail surfaces could be switched to built up as well. It doesn't seem like much to gain in the weight loss side of it but that 3 or 4 grams saved in the tail could avoid the need for 9 to 12 grams in the nose. All in all you would stand to save 12 to 16 gms. And on a smaller model of this sort that all adds up fast.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, Don't plan on flying it as it's just a test. Made it half size as it fit the stock I had on hand and just checking fit. When I make my next wood oder will add the balsa for a full size (54 inch) build . Will sheet this one and see how it looks, then hang from the rafters in the back shop with all the others.
    Is a nice change of pace from designing and doing structures in N scale ( 1/160) for model railroads. Might do a Ugly stick or a Funster next. Need parts to fix my Funster anyway just need to find the plans.
    rich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have to agree if all I saw was the wing I would assume I was looking something in a .40 to .60 size airplane. That wing is way over built for a 27" wingspan airplane.
    Top Flite Brotherhood # 1
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Ryan STA/STM/SC-M/W Brotherhood # 27
    SIG Kadet Brotherhood # 89
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    My bench where you always find the weird and unusual!
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just for the fun of it put it on my postal scale tonight and even with all the basswood weights in at 3.2 OZ and most of that is in the tail. Tail is cut from 1/8 thick basswood so heavy. Balsa is ordered and should be here Friday with luck then will do one in balsa and finish the drawings then if it all fits will scale up to a 48 inch span.rich