Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

120% Kadet Senior

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:26 AM
paulsen
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120% Kadet Senior

Hello, does anyone have a rough idea of what the cost of wood would be to build a 96" Kadet senior? And the best place to buy?

I have a Saito .91 I want to run and I love the Kadet, but the original 78" model flew great with an old worn out plain bearing K&B .46 on 15% nitro. So I'm thinking 20% bigger airframe would be great for my fresh .91 plus I'm sure 48" balsa sticks are a common size hence 96" wing 48" x 2.

What is the best way to make 120% size plans these days? Would I try and get a set of plans and blow them up or should I look for PDF type file and have print shop make them?

Any help, tips, or comments appreciated.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:05 PM
CopterDr99

Default RE: 120% Kadet Senior

HI Paulsen...........I bought from Balsa USA......I was surprised at how little I had to pay for really good quality wood.  I didn't buy much at a time either.   Might want to check them out.

Not sure how much wood it will take to build that big darlin'.  ...sorry.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:23 PM
paulsen

That's cool ill check them out. Thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 12:35 PM
CopterDr99

Hope it's good.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:34 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You know this is a project I have thought of myself once in awhile.

here would be the best way to do it. If you had a kit, you could trace all the precut parts. most of this kit is sticks and ribs, but there are a few pieces up front that are shaped, firewall etc.

I would trace all the precut parts and wire on the back of a set of senior plans, then take that to the copier and tell them you want both sides blown up the same percentage, 120 etc.

They probably can't blow up the front the same size on one sheet because the paper in the big copier isn't wide enough. What you have them do is make a copy of the original, carefully cut them in half length wise, blow up the half plans,then tape the two blown up pieces together.

Also I think you could make many of the out bound ribs from foam to save money.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:27 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go the 'copy route' just have the original fed into copy machine one edge then feed the opposite one. That's what I do. You'll get some overlap and will have to pay for it but... The Kadet is so simple that you should be able to hand draw that out pretty quick. It's mostly squares and a few straight tapers. If a firewall measures 100mm x 150mm then a 120% enlargement is 120mm x 180mm. For 'curvy' parts you can use the 'grid method'.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:48 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Arup that idea about running thru the plans one edge then the other seems obvious after you said it.. I will have to inform the copier guy of that trick