Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Closed joined wing design

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 03:19 AM
ThatNinthGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closed joined wing design

Hi

I'm relatively new here, but I hope this is the correct forum

I've included an image representing the basic idea of the plane(complete CAD-drawings will be made at some point in time), I want to develop and build during the summer and winter

So here are my questions
- Have you seen/heard of anybody else trying a design like this? If so, is it possible to use their ideas on this plane?
- What problems do you see down the road?

Also, feel free to comment or what ever you feel like

Name:	hCozh4I.png
Views:	370
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	1991293  
Old 04-30-2014, 06:29 AM
ByLoudDesign

Very interesting, will watch your progress!!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:52 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

This may interest you.

http://www.lgtaerospace.com/index.php/home

Regards, John.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:09 AM
ByLoudDesign

That is cool!!!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ken Willard designed this one in 1982 and published it in RCM Magazine:

https://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?m...0e4e4d4b79c3fe

Or this one in 1969:

https://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?m...0e4e4d4b79c3fe

Don't try to order the plans though. This plans service has become known for not delivering orders.

Last edited by Bax; 05-01-2014 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-02-2014, 09:53 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It can certainly be made to fly. It becomes a question of what is your intended goal and what will the model be used for.

There are certainly lots of joined wing rhombic design concepts out there. And a fair number of them have that same vertical panel that joins the two. But I've not seen them with the dual verticals at the center. But that's not really a big game changer. It's still a joined wing rhombic plan form.

One point is that the dual fins in the middle of the rear is going to end up being a potential weak spot. Also the relatively narrow gap between the two rather vertical faces will generate more drag than needed due to the surfaces being so close to each other in terms of chord width of the wing. It's the same reason why biplanes have too much drag to compete with monoplanes. Going to a single vertical with the horizontals meeting at the tip of the single vertical would be better. Or if you really want swoopy looking go for more of a gull wing look with the inner angled panels set at more of a 110 to 140 degree angle to each other.

If the goal is to learn more about this shape and see if you can produce a plan form that is more efficient you might want to look at doing a bunch of concept test gliders. These would be simply flat sheet balsa or dollar store foam gliders with the forward and rear surfaces at varying distances above and below each other. The goal being to find which one seems to fly the farthest or which glides the fastest over a given distance. You can test a lot with such stuff when there's not a viable home hobby way of otherwise testing for efficiency and trimming.

And when the testing and learning is done they make a really cool looking mobile hanging over the work area....

Last edited by BMatthews; 05-02-2014 at 09:57 AM.