Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

CG for SE5a

Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM
frankolin42
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG for SE5a

need the CG for and SE5a WW1 biplane fighter. the plane has a 40"WS and weights roughly 3.5 lbs. it is not to be flown 3D, just a typical floater. Thank You
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49469.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1894740  
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 AM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CG for SE5a

use this as a guide.

limeybob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51526.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	1894747  
Old 06-24-2013, 02:33 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Measure the chord of the top wing. Multiply it by .3. Measure the chord of the bottom wing. Multiply it by .3. Put the CG between the two .3 points like the drawing from limeybob. Dan.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

For your first flights maybe set it to more like .25 to .27 instead of the .3 suggested by Limeybob. It's likely that the .3 would be fine. But as the old saying goes "a nose heavy model flies a little poorly, a tail heavy model often only flies once". If it's doggy in flight and wants to lift the nose aggresively coming out of a dive or when increasing power it's easy enough to shift the CG back a little and re-trim the elevator. Keep shifting it back a little at a time until the model handles nicely while still retaining some degree of positive pitch stability. You don't want to make it TOO neutral. On the other hand the strong positive stability of a nose heavy model is annoying to fly as well since you feel like you're fighting the nose all the time. Just like the Bear's porridge it's best when it's "just right".