Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: CAD question

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CAD question

Hello all!
    Just a quick question for those CAD users out there. I have a “tab A in slot b” type of question. How much room do you give for clearance? For example, for a tab that is 1/8” by 1”, how much larger would you make the slot to allow a tight but easy fit? This is only for a former which fits into a fuse doubler. Nothing fancy.
    Thanks
    Bob J.
    WACO Brotherhood #112

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CAD question

Before I use the "real thing" a few trial and error cuts gets me to the right size. I make them the same size and cut on the line. If that does not work I start enlarging the slot or reducing the tab until they fit. It is all dependent on the width of the saw blade and the type of wood. I do not use a laser cutter. Dan.
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you using the CAD file for laser cutting? If so, I wouldn't leave any clearance at all. If accurately drawn, the kerf from the laser cutting should be enough. That's been my experience with laser cutting.

Just my $.02

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A generally allow .005" for the laser kerf on just about every type of material that I cut in order to get a snug fit on slots and tabs. Has been working for me for nearly a decade.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all!
    Thanks for all your replies. I made a guess at .004”, but I wasn’t sure if that was enough. I will change it to .005”. This is my first time trying a laser cutting company, so I’ll have to wait to see how things turn out. If this doesn’t work, I’ll change it. The guy I talked to said he would work out any problems I would have. So I don’t think I’ll have any issues. I just wanted to be as close to the ball park as possible.
    Thanks again.
    Bob J.
    WACO Brotherhood #112

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Balsa is an amazingly supple material. If the goal is to have the parts snick together with a slight push fit I'd suggest that you size the slot so that with allowance for the kerf that the final slot width is a perfect match or even a couple of thou smaller than the thickness of the sheet part intended to fit in the slot.

This is actually something you can try yourself. Cut and sand a slot in some material and measure the width with a set of calipers. Then test fit some sheet stock into the slot and aim for the sort of light push fit you're after. You'll quickly get a feel for how you want to size the laser cut notches to allow for the laser kerf.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BMatthews
    Thanks for your reply. That sounds like a good idea. I’ll try that first before I send the files off to the cutter and see what I come up with. The parts in question are ply. So I was more worried about having enough room. I’ve got a lot to learn about this aspect of our hobby.
    Thanks again.
    Bob J.
    WACO Brotherhood #112