Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Beginner looking for reliable stik plans

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Beginner looking for reliable stik plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:42 AM
xenon20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner looking for reliable stik plans

Hi

I am thinking about starting my first scratch build project of a stick. I have been looking for plans of which there are several but most are the 'das ugly stick' original design type (with the rounded tail fin).

Does anybody know if there are stick plans available similar to the hangar 9 type 'ultra stick' with the traditional shaped tail fin ? also I would like to make a taildragger version, with an engine cowl.

If these plans are not available, would it be ok to make some aesthetic changes to the original plans to alter its shape to one that I prefer (is this advisable for a beginner?)

Thanks

Paul
Old 08-22-2013, 01:51 AM
madmodellerbamford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Paul. I am in the UK also. As long as you keep the C of G in the correct place. you can alter the design any way you choose. I have a set of the original Phil Kraft plans sent to me by a friend in Mexico. If you want to alter that shape of the vertical stabilizer, that is up to you. If you read the history of the Ugly Stik, you will find out that it was meant to be a dispensible aircraft that could be built from bits in your scrap box that could be used as flying hack to test various engines and on-board radio systems back in the 60s. As long as you don't tell the purists and the Die-Hard Phil Kraft followers, then who are you hurting. Why not have a look at the Phil Kraft Kwik Fli 3. Plans for this are easily got from the web. That is a nice streamlined aircraft and quite robust.
Have fun.!!!