Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

AutoCAD Windows Compatibility

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

AutoCAD Windows Compatibility

Old 09-11-2013, 02:41 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AutoCAD Windows Compatibility

I have been using AutoCAD 14 for many years in different versions of Windows. The latest version is XP. Now, AutoCAD 14 is not compatible with the newer versions of Windows and I understand the Microsoft will no longer be supporting XP due to its difficulty of working with the new versions format. I only need a two dimensional version like AutoCAD LT but I still have my old computer. What are my options? Should I stick it out with my old computer and 14or trash them and go with the latest Windows and LT? Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MACCHICAD1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	1919275  
Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM
ByLoudDesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, I am going to hang on to XP till it stops! I am hoping to go to ACAD 2012 and pick up the solid modeling! But I need to go to a newer Microsoft Windows, like double your fun!! HUH!!! My pocket is not that deep!
Old 09-11-2013, 02:51 PM
All Day Dan

Thanks Loud. There must be a lot of guys with the same problem. Dan.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a new 'puter with W8 on it. That is another whoooole story........ I downloaded DraftSight and it is fully compatable with W8. I'm told DS has the same commands a ACAD. DS is a free download so to try, is the right price. This comes from somebody that knows less than nothing about CAD. I was sucesfull in using DS to trace over drawings of a Kraft Super Fly and am currently in the (1/4 scale) build mode.

Ken

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1956662
Old 09-26-2013, 12:12 PM
All Day Dan

Ken, At this point in my life, I'm in no mood to to learn a new Windows and/or Cad program. Thanks anyway. I may be forced into it. Dan.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:21 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" I am going to hang on to XP till it stops!"

That's what I did, BUT. The last time I had it repaired, and the system re installed, they talked me into installing the 32 bit system, and bye bye my Autocad. Been crying ever since.

Les
Old 09-27-2013, 07:31 AM
All Day Dan

Les, that's my biggest concern. Dan.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Draft sight is supposed to have the same commands as ACAD so the learning curve should be gentle. Free down load so give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.....

Here we go again..... I have to re-log in to post a reply. I guess back to RCG that works without frustration.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:46 PM
DaveP

I run ACAD 14 on my Windows 7 Pro machine using Microsoft's free Virtual PC software. Check out Microsoft's Windows XP Mode page, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-in-windows-7 It sets up a virtual computer in software in which you have WinXP and can install and run ACAD14.

ACAD 14 runs just like it should, but I still usually use my older XP machine for ACAD work since it's in my shop/mancave.

Googling "microsoft xp virtual PC" might help, and offers some hope of installing on Windows 8, though I've not tried that.

-Dave
Old 09-29-2013, 04:19 PM
All Day Dan

Dave, thanks for the input. It may be necessary to use something called Hyper-V in Windows 8. I'll find out when my computer dies for good. Dan.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Roguedog

Draftsight is a clone of Autocad Lt 2009 as far as my comparison. It uses the exact same commands and short cuts.

I use Autocad 2009 and i can open Draftsight files in Autocad and Autocad 2009 files in Draftsight. They both recognize that you are opening a file that is created by another program but you can edit them easily in you want.

If you use Autocad 14 you should be able to open up all of your Acad 14 files in Draftsight without any problems.

The main difference with Draftsight is it does not have the advance 3d commands of Autocad. It does have the same 3d view commands just not the advanced commands. So it is basically a 2d Cad program that uses the Autocad command structure.

It also has a why smaller footprint than Autocad. You should give it a try, might be perfect for you as it is free. There is also a comprehensive tutorials and a forum on the Draftsight website.

Last edited by Roguedog; 09-30-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:14 AM
dreadnaut

I have a pretty fast machine running W98 that has my copy of ACAD 2000. It is behind the "ultimate firewall" (no connection to the internet, or any network other than temporary cabling to xfr large files) I intend to hold onto it and keep it running until it dies, or I do. Take that, Mr. Gates!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:10 PM
All Day Dan

Rogue, That Draftsight looks like a nice fit. It is definitely worth a try. Thanks, Dan.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 PM
All Day Dan

Rogue, I downloaded Draftsight and, like you said, it is compatible with the AutoCAD I am using. What a relief. I am now ready for Microsoft's next move whatever it may be. Thank you for this very helpful and important piece of information. Dan.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Roguedog

Dan,

Glad I could help!

Bryan