Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone use TURBOCAD?

I have a copy of TURBOCAD I bought a few years ago. I really never used it. I'm wondering if anyone has any perspective on it's usefulness in modeling and design.

I know most use AUTOCAD and I'm sure you know the price of it so it's not an option for me.
    Bob T.
    AMA 516211....one of the 'original moderators' from '98, remember me?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    DraftSight is fully compatible with AutoCAD. It's a free download. Dan

http://www.3ds.com/products-services...ight/overview/
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I use Turbocad for both 2d and 3d drawings. Works great for me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by All Day Dan View Post
    DraftSight is fully compatible with AutoCAD. It's a free download. Dan

http://www.3ds.com/products-services...ight/overview/
    Thanks, I downloaded a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by rc_extra230 View Post
    I use Turbocad for both 2d and 3d drawings. Works great for me.
    Thanks. Frankly, as I sit here I don't even know what version I have anymore as it's been so long since I bought it. I have it in a box in my storage room. I recall installing it on an XP computer back in maybe 2005 or '06.......Never used it heavily as the 'great recession' interrupted my life.
    Bob T.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I had turbocad 10.0. I had some issues and went to turbocad support, it came with free 30 day support. I put my question in an email, sent it with the date of purchase. What I got back was they wanted $25.00 per email for the support. So I replied I had removed from my system. So much for their "free" support

I have thought about trying a new version but with sketchup, free is way better plus you have tons of support and free add ons from the world. Been plying with it and sort of know what I am doing.

http://www.sketchup.com/

Buzz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I use TC v14. It's very useful for any type of 2D modeling work. I find it easy and intuitive to use.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    They are up to TurboCad version 20 now. Very similar in format and capability to Autocad but 1/10th the cost.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you don't mind using an older version of TC you can find them on ebay for less than $20.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have had each version of Turbocad since 15 or 16, using 20 now. For modeling use there is not a lot of difference from at least 16 on up. Most of the changes have been in the architectural tools, the rendering tools, and some additional 3D tools. The latest version, 20, has the ability to use an interface like the command line in autocad, if that is what you prefer. Any "Pro" or "Platinum" version is a better product than even the latest "standard" or "deluxe" version. I don't know much about support from the company, IMSI, but the Turbocad Forum is full of extremely helpful and knowledgeable people.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I still get the email specials from them. Have thought about getting it again. When I was trying to use it, there were no forums so it was direct contact or find it from some one you know. Well I did not know any one using any type of CAD let alone TC.

With everything sketchup has, price and just about every type of detail for free, hard not to use it. Is it a very simplified CAD. Works well for models.

Buzz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    As stated before/above: Get the draftsight FREE download .. it's the equivalent of semi current Acad and yet does not cost $5000 per seat.
    Even the commands are virtually identical
    Select the appropriate version for your operating system though.

Makes paying even $10 for a cheap low achieving cad pgm seem as a bit silly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by danilo-2 View Post
    As stated before/above: Get the draftsight FREE download .. it's the equivalent of semi current Acad and yet does not cost $5000 per seat.
    Even the commands are virtually identical
    Select the appropriate version for your operating system though.

Makes paying even $10 for a cheap low achieving cad pgm seem as a bit silly.
    I have it and have been spending an hour or so a day playing with it....What the heck? It's free......
    Bob T.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard View Post
    I still get the email specials from them. Have thought about getting it again. When I was trying to use it, there were no forums so it was direct contact or find it from some one you know. Well I did not know any one using any type of CAD let alone TC.

With everything sketchup has, price and just about every type of detail for free, hard not to use it. Is it a very simplified CAD. Works well for models.

Buzz.
    Buzz, are you using the pro version of Sketchup? I have a copy (free version) and have used it a few times, most recently to layout and design wainscoting for my living room. I like it for it's 3D but I'm not sure how to use it for modeling. How would one trace sections from a plan? How do you import the drawings you want into Sketchup and in what format do they need to be? I'm trying to formulate the "big picture" of the process in my mind.
    Bob T.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    One reason I like TurboCad is the ability to import 3 views and plans and then trace over them to create CAD drawings that can be scaled to any size. TC imports BMP files so I use Paint.net to convert jpg's, pdf's, etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I downloaded a converter for sketchup so I can save in DXF, PDF, DRW files. There is a file to use the sketchup files with G code. I have not found it yet. I have just read here and there but have not found a working copy of it. Then again, I have not really searched all the much either.

Buzz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by radfordc View Post
    One reason I like TurboCad is the ability to import 3 views and plans and then trace over them to create CAD drawings that can be scaled to any size. TC imports BMP files so I use Paint.net to convert jpg's, pdf's, etc.
    Well, yes... but almost every CAD package in the universe offers that feature, not just TurboCAD

Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I was responding to the post asking about importing drawings into Sketchup. I don't have any knowledge of Sketchup, so I can't say if it's easy to import 3 views or not? I know all CAD programs do that, but this thread is about TC.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Just download an education version of AutoCAD from the Autodesk website. It will print "Educational Version" on the plots, but the functionality is the same and you can always have someone open your drawing in a licensed version and do a "save as" and it won't plot like that anymore, provided you don't re-open the drawing in the educational version. I use AutoCad at work but use the educational one on my home computer when I don't have my laptop. Just a thought.

anyone good at auto cad still trying to setup multi line for the laser cuter i need a .05 thickness so the pieces do not come flying out

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    "TC imports BMP files so I use Paint.net to convert jpg's, pdf's, etc."

Newer versions of Turbocad will import PDF files as underlays. If the PDF was created by a Cad program you can you can snap to points. I believe the latest version also does 3d PDF files.