Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Boeing F4B

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:32 AM
RCdude13
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boeing F4B

I am considering building a Boeing F4B-4 from the September 1995 Radio Control Modeller plans blown up to 90" span. Does anyone have a copy of the 09/95 RCM article and a set of these plans? I sent money to RCM plans but got nothing back. I am also looking for a good, detailed drawing such as a William Wylam print of the F4B which shows the shape of the fuse bulkheads. I may draw up my own plans with any info I can find including the RCM plans, Wylam drawing, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't help with the Wylam drawings but Bob Holman sells the "Mammoth Scale" line of plans by Bob Morse which includes a 90" span F4B-2 which may be a good place to start. Morse designs are known good flyers and Holman won't leave you hanging out in the breeze. Please take note of the new pricing on the left hand side of the page though. Also, my experience has been that Holman is much easier to get a hold of by phone than he is by email.

http://www.bhplans.com/MSPlansPg1.html
Old 09-20-2013, 02:17 AM
RCdude13

Chad,
i ordered a set of plans from Vintage RC for F4B-4. I think i'll also order the Mammoth Scale plans. Thanks for your help.
Andris.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

My pleasure and best of luck with your build. The F4B has to be one of the sexiest bipes of all time. Here is a pic I took of one (actually a P-12 masquerading as an F4B I think) at the Planes of Fame airshow in Chino, CA. The airplane is basically flyable but has not been flown in many years.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:34 PM
RCdude13

Thanks for the photo Chad...the F4B is a very cool bipe!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:23 PM
RCdude13

I've got the fuse formers drawn using the vintage plans, mammoth scale plans and a drawing I got right from Boeing. I designed the fuse to be built like a Ziroli with a central, horizontal ladder having the formers attached perpendicularly. I need to figure out how to draw the wing ribs. Sounds like a Clarke Y airfoil would work. Where can I find a good template to print and use as a rib pattern? I thought I might just use a rib pattern from one of my five sets of Ziroli plans...I think they are all Clarke Y airfoils?

Last edited by RCdude13; 10-31-2013 at 05:31 PM.