Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Hot wire cutting foam-Stainless steel

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Hot wire cutting foam-Stainless steel

Old 03-13-2002, 08:39 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hot wire cutting foam-Stainless steel

To the people who use stainless steel wire for cutting foam-what is the thickness of wire that you use?
Thanks in Advance! :sunsmiley
Myles
Old 03-14-2002, 03:10 PM
Soar Head
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used .014 and .020 single strand steel fishing leader wire with good success.
Old 03-14-2002, 04:44 PM
Ollie

I use monel metal stainless fishing leader in sizes from 0.02 to 0.03 inches diameter.
Old 03-14-2002, 06:36 PM
driegel

Default Source for leader

Where are you finding your fishing leader? Been to a couple fishing/hunting shops nearby, they only carry pre-cut leader, no rolls or such. Even tried Walmart in desperation, still no luck. Thanks guys!

Don
Old 03-14-2002, 06:44 PM
driegel

Default Source for leader

Where are you finding your fishing leader? Been to a couple fishing/hunting shops nearby, they only carry pre-cut leader, no rolls or such. Even tried Walmart in desperation, still no luck. Thanks guys!

Don
Old 03-14-2002, 07:54 PM
TiGuy
My Feedback: (1)

Correct me if I'm wrong Ollie, but monel wire is used for big game fish. You won't find THAT kind of leader in WALMART! I mean BIG game fishing like Tuna, Marlin etc. My guess is to find a coastal sporting goods retailer (Not Cabella's) and order some. I'll have to get my father in Conneticut to get me some.

I too have been looking for a good foam cutting wire but have yet to find small enough stuff (.025 is the smallest so far...but WAY too big for me).

Ollie, thanks for suggesting monel. My father uses it on some of his deep trolling downrigger rigs for striped bass, so I know I can get that.

http://www.americanfishingwire.com/surfstrand.html

or

http://store.yahoo.com/tackle/malinleader.html
Old 03-14-2002, 09:05 PM
Soar Head
My Feedback: (5)

I use exactly the stuff posted by TiGuy in this link.

I mostly use .014 and .012. I found the .020 too large for my taste. The wire has only broken when I accidentally shorted it once. Ran full current through about 3" of the wire on the bow, and it burned in two.

I bought mine in a coastal community for about $3.00 each. I think it came in quantities less than the ~500' listed in the web site.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:51 PM
Ollie

Default Monel Fishing Leader

A few years ago I bought a lifetime supply of 0.02 monel leader in WalMart for less than $5. I haven't checked lately. Tarpon fishing is a big time activity at Boca Grande, about 25 miles from here.
Old 03-15-2002, 04:59 AM
Jetset

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Great info!

Thanks guys! You know, sometimes I think to hard about stuff like this when the answer is as easy as asking on here and getting replies back from friendly, fellow modelers!
About the only power source I could readilt use right now is a 6, 12v battery charger. What do you think? Is it worth a try to get my feet wet with foam cutting?
Thanks again! :thumbup:
Myles
Old 03-15-2002, 07:20 PM
TiGuy

I tried to use a battery charger at first and had rather dismal results. BUT, I was using a 50" bow. If you are using a 20-30" bow your results might be better. The charger wouldn't get the wire as hot as I like. Another idea is to use a model train transformer (so I am told) but the wimpy little one I tried was worse than the charger. A friend of mine used a deep cycle 12v truck battery with pretty good results. It's all a matter of amperage I guess...but I have no idea how much you really need.

The Tecoa thermal generator is simply the best way to go IMO.

Do you know anyone into model trains? The big transformers cost more than my thermal generator did.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:08 PM
Valkyrie-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago, I had good success with a lighting dimmer switch and an typical wall outlet connection. I wired a cord to the dimmer switch, that plugged into the wall, then the outlet wires of the dimmer switch went to the wall outlet plug. The cord to the hot wire cutter then plugged into the outlet plug. Hmmm.... not sure if I'm making sense. Anyway, I installed the dimmer switch and the wall outlet unit into an aluminum box I bought at Radio Shack. Worked well for me. I eventually got hold of a Variac, which is the thing to use, but they are expensive and somewhat hard to locate.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:17 PM
Ollie

Default Hotwire Power Supply

A dimmer switch without a stepdown, isolation transformer runs a serious risk of electrocution!!!!

The reason is that the dimmer switch works by chopping up the waveform rather than by reducing the peak voltage.

Handling the wires from a dimmer switch that isn't isolated is not much different than handling the wires coming directly from the outlet. It is seriously DANGEROUS!!!!

BTW most variacs are auto transformers which provide no isolation and consequently can prove lethal if you get across the output and ground.

VALKIRIE:
YOU ARE LUCKY TO BE ALIVE.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:55 PM
Valkyrie-RCU

Ollie,

I won't argue with you regarding your comment that I'm lucky to be alive. However, if one knows what they're dealing with and takes the appropriate precautions, I would argue that I and the countless others that have used dimmer switches and variacs, even without a step down transformer, are safer doing that than most people are standing on a flightline, flying with hotshots that can barely control their aircraft, especially when taking off and landing. That's not intended to be a "cute" reply nor do I want to create a side thread that strays from the subject. But, I do thank you for pointing out the dangers to those unaware of them if they choose to use a dimmer or variac. I should have included the disclaimers myself.

Regards to you.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:47 AM
Vince

Use the wire made for tig welding machines, get it in the smallest diameter you can. I have had very good results with 030" stainless steel wire. You can buy a lifetime supply role for relativly cheap.

Vince
Old 03-21-2002, 01:53 PM
winship

A Variac is my choice for a power supply. I never have used it over 16 volts. I prefer to use .014 solid music wire for cutting foam. If you need music wire that is under 36" long it can be obtained at hobby shops. If you need longer music wire try a hardware store that carries Malin's music wire. Malin Co. is located in Brook Park Ohio. I have never had much luck with nicrome wire due to the stretch. The welding wire and fishing leader sounds like a good source also.

A good source for a good used Variac are Ham Radio Fests. These guys have used them on their radios to boos power or to warm the radio tubes up before applying full voltage. I have never been to a Ham fest without seeing a few good ones for sale. Usually between $20.00 and $30.00 Type in Variac on the Google search engine and you will get a variety of choices also.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:43 PM
bluesky123

Superior Balsa sells thin non-steel wire (nichrome?) for $3. I'm using it with much success. My hot wire setup includes a variac and an old electric iron, retired by my wife. I interrupted one of the iron's wires and inserted there the variac and the nichrome wire on the bow. Work witout any problem if the variac can handle the power of the iron.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:53 PM
bolar-RCU

Default Wire

What I did for some stainless wire was buy some stainless hanging picture cable. That small cable used to hang large picture frames, it can be picked up at any hardware store. Unravel a strand of the cable to the length you need. I don't know what size wire it is, but it's small and worked perfect for me .
Old 03-29-2002, 10:37 AM
Ollie

Default Foam Cutting Wire.

I was browsing through the fishing section of the Boat USA store here in Port Charlotte yesterday. They had a package of 42 feet of 0.02 stainless steel fishing leader for $2.39. The coil is about 7 inches in diameter so when it is uncoiled, it will be completely free of kinks. This is the same stuff that I have been using under high tension for the last 10 years or so without ever a breakage or other problem. The Manufacturer's address on the package was Malin, 5400 Smith Road, Cleveland, Ohio 44142.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Mooney_driver

Originally Posted by driegel

Don
Cabelas and Bass Pro both sell stainless wire in 4 ounce packs. I ordered 2 different sizes from Cabelas last year.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:56 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use .012 braided control line flying wire powered by an Astro Flight 110d nicad charger and a 2 amp 12 v power supply. You can put the charger into test mode and then accurately adjust the power output to suit the wire, foam, bow and cutting style. I have also used a simple hobby battery 12 v charger like you use to charge your flight box battery. The Astro Flight charger can be had at swap meets and auction sites for less than $20 as few eflight types use nicads anymore.

For a bow I have used 1/4 inch dowels with moderate success but am now using a fiberglass RC pushrod which works great for smaller wings.