Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scratch building scale jets

Hi, is there such a thing these days, like scratch building jets? I mean using turbines. Or is it just not worth doing? If there are any plans can somebody direct me. I'm thinking something like F 86 Sabre or Mig 15. Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I fly turbines also but ARFs are have takin over everything. They are great for time savings but you can still build a turbine. I have built many in the past but not for a long time. You can find plans you will have to do a little researchthough.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I know, years ago when ducted fans were popular and nothing else was around, there were plenty of plans and build up kits. Ok, those times are gone. We have turbines now and composite Air frames with high tech computerized control systems. Despite all this, I still believe there are individuals who take pride of their own build. Don't get me guys wrong, I don't mind nowadays trend at all. It's a clean, quick build and as mentioned above, it saves a lot of time. Me personally, I like to have a bit of both worlds. Having something I can fly any day but in my workshop there's almost always some scratch build project going on. Jets were always on my list but I'm new to it. Never know, I might end up buying arf but I like the challenge. And I also know, I don't have to spend ridiculous amount of money for my first jet.
    I can build the airframe cheap and all I would need, is to invest in good reliable gear. I hope it makes sense for some.

I have one which is about 6 years old & am building a second (it was actually supposed
    to be the first but I built a non-scale model as it was taking too long to complete).

I don't think I'd ever build another scale jet again but perhaps some simpler sports models.

In the end I don't think there's a great monetary saving, the cost is just spread over a longer
    (much longer!) period. What you do have is control over the quality, lots of the ARF stuff is
    rubbish, particularly the cheap stuff.

In my opinion you scratch build it's because you want to, not to save dollars.

I noticed you used the words 'cheap' & 'jets' in the same paragraph, many have found the
    two words are not compatible. - John.
    Last edited by Boomerang1; 12-10-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    OK, that seems to kill the idea about building jet from scratch. I think it's a different ball park in comparison to petrol prop driven airframes when it comes to building. On a different note, I'm looking for a smaller scale jet, about 60" wingspan. I was looking at BVM but they seem quite expensive for their size. Is there someone in Australia making or importing something like that?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Im scratch building my own F14.... Cheaper it is not.
    Thomas W.
    Euro-sport Evo, Scratch built 1/7 F-14D Tomcat, 26.5% Gee Bee R2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I've started one of these...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	su-9_02.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	1947131

... an Su-9. It's in the 'plans' stage. Blue foam plug started.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Very impressive. Good to see something different. What size are you planning to build?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It's 'smallish' at 1/8 scale. Span 42" (1067mm), length 85.5" (2172mm), fuse diameter behind canopy 191mm and its max dia of 204mm at stab. Inlet dia. 107. Outlet dia. 151mm.

A 1/6 scale model would have a 114" length!